Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #7254
View in linear mode

Subject: "How hard is it to change the starter on a..." Previous topic | Next topic
Teamner947Jul-24-06 10:59 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7254, "How hard is it to change the starter on a..."

6 bolt, AWD? The stealership wants almost $700 for labor. If it can be done as easy as a 2GNT then I'll just buy the new starter and do it myself.

2016 WRX STi Limited (current)
2001 A4 1.8tqms (donated)
1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)
old.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=218 (dismantled)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: How hard is it to change the starter on a..., FlyinEsi, Jul-24-06 12:47 PM, #1
RE: How hard is it to change the starter on a..., Teamner947, Jul-24-06 03:03 PM, #2
RE: How hard is it to change the starter on a..., TeamDR1665, Jul-24-06 03:07 PM, #3
      RE: How hard is it to change the starter on a..., kelvinb1, Jul-24-06 07:12 PM, #4
           RE: How hard is it to change the starter on a..., ModeratoreclipzGST, Jul-24-06 09:42 PM, #5
                RE: How hard is it to change the starter on a..., Teamner947, Jul-26-06 05:56 AM, #6
                     RE: How hard is it to change the starter on a..., T_K, Aug-13-06 10:00 AM, #7
                          RE: How hard is it to change the starter on a..., kelvinb1, Aug-14-06 08:22 AM, #8
                               RE: How hard is it to change the starter on a..., Teamner947, Aug-15-06 08:48 AM, #9

FlyinEsiJul-24-06 12:47 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5187 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7255, "RE: How hard is it to change the starter on a..."
In response to Reply # 0
Jul-24-06 12:47 PM by FlyinEsi

I don't know about the 1G's, but the 2G just take off the fuel rail and intake manifold and it is right under there. Not too bad IMO.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Teamner947Jul-24-06 03:03 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#7256, "RE: How hard is it to change the starter on a..."
In response to Reply # 1

Hmmm, it's probably the same. Thanks!

1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)

TeamDR1665Jul-24-06 03:07 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#7257, "RE: How hard is it to change the starter on a..."
In response to Reply # 1

It's on the back side of the engine. Could be a PITA.

Found www.dsmtuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99375&highlight=starter+removal on Tuners about removal. Hope it helps.

kelvinb1Jul-24-06 07:12 PM
Member since Apr 06th 2004
1543 posts,
#7258, "RE: How hard is it to change the starter on a..."
In response to Reply # 3

remove the uicp and battery/tray, take the 2 bolts out, then from the bottom i did the electrical connections. easy cheese

ModeratoreclipzGSTJul-24-06 09:42 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#7259, "RE: How hard is it to change the starter on a..."
In response to Reply # 4

$700? I think it's time for me to change careers!

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

Teamner947Jul-26-06 05:56 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#7260, "RE: How hard is it to change the starter on a..."
In response to Reply # 5

Looks like I got lucky... yesterday they claimed I needed a new battery and starter and it was going to be $860 for everything, parts and labor. I told them I was going to buy the battery on my own so I went to autozone and got some a duralast battery with the 3 year warranty (most of my batteries wear out in less than 2 years, sounds like a good way to get free batteries), I brought it to them this morning. I get a call a few minutes ago saying that they fixed a bunch of ground connections, installed the new battery, and everything starts up and works fine. Saved a few bucks there!

1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)

T_KAug-13-06 10:00 AM
Member since Nov 03rd 2005
219 posts,
#7261, "RE: How hard is it to change the starter on a..."
In response to Reply # 6

You let Satan touch your car?? Ewwww!

1993 Eagle Talon TSI AWD: balance shafts, cruise & AC removed; 16psi, Dejon intake & UICP, ported 14b, EVOIII mani, ported 2G O2 housing, 2.5" Buschur dp to 3" Thermal exhaust, datalogger, front strut brace, prothane motor mounts

1995 Eclipse RS U-Boot; Tokico Illuminas, GSX front brakes, ST front swaybar, short shifter, CAI with K&N filter, rear disks and swaybar, front upper and rear lower strut braces, beater exterior

kelvinb1Aug-14-06 08:22 AM
Member since Apr 06th 2004
1543 posts,
#7262, "RE: How hard is it to change the starter on a..."
In response to Reply # 7

what did they charge?

Teamner947Aug-15-06 08:48 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3168 posts,
#7263, "RE: How hard is it to change the starter on a..."
In response to Reply # 8

$80

They supposely tightened a few ground connections, and they did a nice job detailing the car. The stock rims still look like crap, but they are a lot cleaner than they used to be and they vacuumed the interior.

1991 GVR4 #1933 (sold)

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #7254 Previous topic | Next topic