Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #4355
View in linear mode

Subject: "Do you warm up your engine before pushing the turbo hard?" Previous topic | Next topic
Diceman19Oct-17-03 01:08 PM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4355, "Poll question: Do you warm up your engine before pushing the turbo hard?"

just as it says. i have heard mixed expressions about it from all kinds of people. now lets hear from you guys. explain your choice and why you feel your choice is correct. i would like a debate to start i guess.

Poll result (8 votes)
Heck no! Crank the car and I'm a spoolin fool! (0 votes)Vote
Is there any other way, long live my turbo... (7 votes)Vote
It doesn't matter either way, it depends on what kind of mood I'm in. (1 votes)Vote

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Do you warm up your engine before pushing the turbo hard?, Uberingram, Oct-17-03 03:30 PM, #1
RE: Do you warm up your engine before pushing the turbo hard?, HybriDSM, Oct-17-03 04:37 PM, #2
      RE: Do you warm up your engine before pushing the turbo hard?, icedout, Oct-17-03 04:53 PM, #3
           RE: Do you warm up your engine before pushing the turbo hard?, TeamJeff_99gs, Oct-17-03 04:56 PM, #4
                RE: Do you warm up your engine before pushing the turbo hard?, Diceman19, Oct-17-03 05:52 PM, #5
                     RE: Do you warm up your engine before pushing the turbo hard?, Skillionaire, Oct-17-03 06:22 PM, #6
                          RE: Do you warm up your engine before pushing the turbo hard?, TeamJeff_99gs, Oct-17-03 06:55 PM, #7
                               RE: Do you warm up your engine before pushing the turbo hard?, ModeratoreclipzGST, Oct-17-03 07:24 PM, #8
                                    RE: Do you warm up your engine before pushing the turbo hard?, ShadowFur, Oct-18-03 04:03 PM, #9
                                         RE: Do you warm up your engine before pushing the turbo hard?, ModeratoreclipzGST, Oct-18-03 04:14 PM, #10
                                              RE: Do you warm up your engine before pushing the turbo hard?, ShadowFur, Oct-19-03 05:09 AM, #11
                                                   RE: Do you warm up your engine before pushing the turbo hard?, Vandy420a, Oct-24-03 07:06 AM, #12
                                                        RE: Do you warm up your engine before pushing the turbo hard?, Diceman19, Oct-24-03 08:54 AM, #13

UberingramOct-17-03 03:30 PM
Donating 2GNT member
10001 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4356, "RE: Do you warm up your engine before pushing the turbo hard?"
In response to Reply # 0

I bring my srt to normal operating temperature before I even back it out of the driveway.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

HybriDSMOct-17-03 04:37 PM
Member since Aug 07th 2002
2407 posts,
#4357, "RE: Do you warm up your engine before pushing the turbo hard?"
In response to Reply # 1

Well since operating the car at high RPM's before it gets up to normal operating temp means that you are getting alot more metal on metal(non-lubricated) contact than should even be considered, I would recommend warming it up to normal temp first.

I'm not even sure that that's an overly cautious approach. with all the shit that goes wrong with DSM's, I take every precaution that I can I guess

It's running again shitheads.

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=791

HybriDSM@gmail.com ; HybriDSM@hotmail.com

Think for yourself. Question authority does not always mean disagree with authority.

If life were perfect, I'd be Calvin and you'd be Hobbes.

icedoutOct-17-03 04:53 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3139 posts,
#4358, "RE: Do you warm up your engine before pushing the turbo hard?"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by HybriDSM
Well since operating the car at high RPM's before it gets up to normal operating temp means that you are getting alot more metal on metal(non-lubricated) contact than should even be considered, I would recommend warming it up to normal temp first. I'm not even sure that that's an overly cautious approach. with all the shit that goes wrong with DSM's, I take every precaution that I can I guess

you guys don't know too much about positive displacment oil pumps... as so as you turn that key you have oil pumping through the engine... for normal driving you don't need to let it warm up completly... there is no need... if you were gonna race or run the rpms up then yes let it warm up... but normal driving you don't need too....... that is why you have that oil pump... it's the job of the pump to lube what needs to be lubed....
don't even try and argue... it's pointless... i'll pull out the engineeeering book and show you...

2006 WW IX MR
2003 BBY EVO VIII (sold)
256.9WHP & 277.9torque
http://s90395832.onlinehome.us/forum//index.php?sid=a70942a7f65043e6c873e12dcd300692

1998 Eclipse RS --show car--

TeamJeff_99gsOct-17-03 04:56 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#4359, "RE: Do you warm up your engine before pushing the turbo hard?"
In response to Reply # 3

DSMs run extremely rich when cold. I'll save my gas and let the car warm up before I boost. And it makes me feel better knowing that the engine is at proper operating temps before I beat the hell out of it.

Diceman19Oct-17-03 05:52 PM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#4360, "RE: Do you warm up your engine before pushing the turbo hard?"
In response to Reply # 4
Oct-17-03 05:53 PM by Diceman19

this is what i wanted. so, has everyone that reads the turbo forum checked in yet. ha ha.

1g/4g63--the few, the proud

(in honor of the marine topics going around.)

SkillionaireOct-17-03 06:22 PM
Member since Mar 08th 2002
198 posts,
#4361, "RE: Do you warm up your engine before pushing the turbo hard?"
In response to Reply # 5

Ive been told that its actually good to drive the car (not hard)soon after starting instead of sitting in the driveway idling. Helps raise the oil pressure. during the first few crucial minutes

93 Talon Tsi FWD
Big 16g Powered!

R.I.P 96 Turbo GS

TeamJeff_99gsOct-17-03 06:55 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5473 posts,
#4362, "RE: Do you warm up your engine before pushing the turbo hard?"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by Skillionaire
Ive been told that its actually good to drive the car (not hard)soon after starting instead of sitting in the driveway idling. Helps raise the oil pressure. during the first few crucial minutes

Which is why I give it a good couple revs while sitting so the oil pressure gets up there.

ModeratoreclipzGSTOct-17-03 07:24 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#4363, "RE: Do you warm up your engine before pushing the turbo hard?"
In response to Reply # 7

Yup. What all of them ^^^ said...

-Tony
98'GST
92'TSI-AWD

eclipzgst@charter.net
http://eclipzgst.webhop.net
http://www.newengdsm.org/

turboclipz on AIM

"...don't make me photoshop your pants so high that your undies start going over your head, think of it as a kaptainmyke wedgie if you will" -Kap'n Myke

ShadowFurOct-18-03 04:03 PM
Member since Jun 30th 2003
33 posts,
#4364, "RE: Do you warm up your engine before pushing the turbo hard?"
In response to Reply # 8

My 91 Talon ESi acually in the morning when its cold when i start it it goes abour 2200rpms and sits there for about 30 sec and the oil pressure stays up and then slowly avery 15-30sec it goes down 100-200rpms till it gets to 1100 rpms and sits there till it warms up more or i put it in gear then it drops down to 650-750 for idle when in drive... i wish i had a 5 speed like i used to have in my 99GS that my parents took away from me when i moved out.

ModeratoreclipzGSTOct-18-03 04:14 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#4365, "RE: Do you warm up your engine before pushing the turbo hard?"
In response to Reply # 9

Your parents took your transmission when you moved out?

-Tony
98'GST
92'TSI-AWD

eclipzgst@charter.net
http://eclipzgst.webhop.net
http://www.newengdsm.org/

turboclipz on AIM

"...don't make me photoshop your pants so high that your undies start going over your head, think of it as a kaptainmyke wedgie if you will" -Kap'n Myke

ShadowFurOct-19-03 05:09 AM
Member since Jun 30th 2003
33 posts,
#4366, "RE: Do you warm up your engine before pushing the turbo hard?"
In response to Reply # 10

no, they took the whole car when i moved out...

Vandy420aOct-24-03 07:06 AM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2037 posts,
#4367, "RE: Do you warm up your engine before pushing the turbo hard?"
In response to Reply # 11

think that's bad? when I went to college I checked my bank account about 2 weeks in...I was 4k richer...AWESOME! So I called home...my parents had sold my cherry 1980 BMW 1100R.... "motorcycles are so dangerous, you rebuilt it (with the help of my neighbor), now its time to sell it." Of course, mom, of course...shame that a 1980 air cooled boxter BMW motorcycle w/all the orginal "Made in West Germany" trinkets to go along woulda fetched a bit more than 4 grand...

Vandy

---------------------------------------

Black 98 GST missing her owner and looking for a new one...Inquiries welcome

Diceman19Oct-24-03 08:54 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#4368, "RE: Do you warm up your engine before pushing the turbo hard?"
In response to Reply # 12

yeah, that sucks big time.

Top 4G63 Technical 4G63 Tech topic #4355 Previous topic | Next topic