Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top Team 2GNT Community Old Shootout Forums 2007 DSM Shootout topic #552
View in linear mode

Subject: "2007 ShootOut results" First topic | Next topic
Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneOct-15-07 08:55 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14937 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#552, "2007 ShootOut results"

From Buschur's Forum:

This is going to be known as the year of the carnage. In 15 years of doing this event I have never seen so many broken cars and broken car parts, as a matter of fact I'd say you could almost add up the 14 previous years and not get as many broken parts!!!

First let me give a congrats to two record breakers I know of this weekend. Tony Powell beat my old/existing record for the Green/LT. He ran a 10.87 and a 10.88 at 127 mph. My old record was 10.89. The other congrats is for Eric Jones from AMS running a new mph record of 171 mph. Both of you did a great job!

Broken parts......holy crap. For this event every year I tell the track I don't care what track prep costs, I want the track sticky and breaking parts. Well the weather was so cold we couldn't get the traction quite up to where we wanted it but it must have been better than given credit for because there sure was a bunch of broken parts.

First round our black EVO ran 9.4 at 156 mph, I've never seen our car so out of shape, it was ALL OVER the track, Daniel finally gave up somewhere about 900' and coasted. The second round something broke around the 1/8th mile. The pulled the original stock rear differential from the car, ran to the shop, got another one and replaced it. They made it just in time to squeeze in a last qualifier........as they attempted to pull off it was obvious something else was broken, the transfer case had broken at the same time. We were done for the day.

Marco from Magnus was there, he blew a head gasket/head first qualifier.

AMS broke an igntion box right after the first qualifier, found a spare and came back out for the 2nd qualifier to break a transfer case. They got it fixed but ran into more problems in the 1st round, fixed those and went on to make some fast time trials before the day was over. Best ET for them for the weekend was an 8.71 which I think was the quickest of anyone for the day.

Trevor Jones was there driving our "Magnum" Time Attack car, which he now owns for the first time. He could not get the car to go into 2nd gear, the tires were spinning too hard. The car is set up with 4 corners of fairly severe camber and toe'd out for road racing. Not a good drag set up. He still managed to run a 10.7 at 137.8 mph!! He even qualified for the Q16 in it! Then the transfer case broke in it too.

Kevin Lawson, great friend of mine, brought out his 1G from retirement. His first pass was a 10.4 at 137. He said the car was spinning and all over. His next few runs wouldn't get out of the 11's all in the 137 range. He finally looked under the car to find that the left rear axle was completely missing, as in NOT under the car! haha It was later found at the starting line and had been there since that first pass. He still ended up driving the car in FWD mode and placing second.

Serge Turcotte was there with his crew from Canada in their FWD Mirage. It was the most consistent car there and ran a series of 8.80's. They also had problems but managed to get them fixed and needed to work on the car each and every round barely making each round. The car ran a best of 8.74 and should have been the Q16 winner. It finally broke permanently in the final round and the under dog of Q16 ended up winning with an 11 second pass.

The Q16 this year had the potential to be the quickest/fastest field in the history of the event, unfortunately there was a lot of broken parts. It's odd because this year it seemed to me to be mostly driveline parts failing, not a lot of engine failures this year. Luckily it didn't make for a ton of track clean up, which should keep the cost of the event down some.

Sorry if I forgot some of the events of the day or if they seem one sided towards "our" guys. I'm a little busy during the day and don't get around much.

I have a preliminary count for the event. Looks like we had about 700 spectators and 90 race cars. So I guess for a rained out event earlier in the year and a rain date set on a cold day in October, it was pretty good. My estimate for the event had it not rained in August would have been 200+ race cars and over 3,000 spectators. So we lost about 2/3'rds of the of the people. Still was a pretty good turn out.

Before I get into the actual winners of the classes there are a few more cars/people I want to mention.

First, I drove my RS out to the track and handed the keys to Trent Stanley my friend/welder at our shop. He entered the car in Evo Eliminator and basically dominated the class. He ran one 10.03 all day, the rest of the passes were consistent 9.90's and he ended up winning in the final with a 9.84. Most of the passes were 147.xx mph, great job Trent, thanks for driving my car! I drove the car out to dinner with my son and back home later. It's truly one bad ass, great car.

Also, Jerry Hernandez brought both of his Toyota's out that we have been helping him with this entire year. He has a two early '80's Corolla's with 4g63's in them. The yellow car is his street car and has a 100,000+mile stock engine in it with a 35r on it and a custom intercooler/plumbing we built. Uses a Celica 5 speed trans, he ran 11.2 at 128 mph with it, his goal was 10's on the stock engine, had it not been for a clutch failure he would have easy made it, his last pass was a 1.49 sixty foot. We also managed to get his Blue Tube chassis Corolla on the track for the first time ever. This is beautiful car, the chassis was built by Jaime Chassis in Florida. Freddie, his driver from Florida attempted to make a pass but nothing was going right, at first I thought it was the tuning as it wouldn't even make a burn out, the engine sounded, from the beginning like it had a dead cylinder in it. We gave up and pulled the car under the bleachers. Jerry and his guys speak mostly Spanish, I do not. I was having a tough time having a conversation so I told Jerry I needed someone in the car I could communicate easy with. He said, "Get somebody!" I got Kevin Lawson and told him to get a helmet. Kevin hopped right in, I told him how the car worked and shut the door. I then went to the passenger door to make sure the nitrous was on, the bottle was off and I turned it back on. Seems as though that was the problem to begin with, I had turned it on and someone else had shut it off before Freddies attempted pass. (sorry Freddie) Anyway, Kevin jumps in, does a good burnout, pulls to the line, the car comes right up on the two step and off he goes, dead straight. I had told him to go to high gear only and shut it down, that's exactly what he did. So the car made it's first 1/2 pass and atleast has that under it's belt. First 60' time was a 1.30, the car is destined to run well into the 7's. The hard part was just getting it done to make a first pass.

Now for the results:

BRACKET ONE

1st Jason Stringer
2nd Charles Gee
3rd Mike Danner
3rd Ferry Fernandez

BRACKET TWO

1st Gene Lampshire
2nd Mark Bullett
3rd Nathan Stover

DIAMOND STAR STOCK APPEARING

1st Eric Walters
2nd Tyler Hopper
3rd Ryan Gross
3rd Curt Brown

DIAMOND STAR ELIMINATOR

1st Ryan Thompson
2nd Kevin Lawson
3rd Ryan Butebaugh
3rd John Hopkins

EVO STOCK APPEARING

1st John Shepherd
2nd Chris Young
3rd David Pham
3rd Tony Powell

EVO ELIMINATOR

1st Trent Stanley
2nd Emery Kapral
3rd Yusuf Begic

Q16

1st Mike Nolan
2nd Serge Turcotte
3rd Jan Sand
3rd Bill Walls

DYNO KING
Al Friedman

Thank you all for coming out and supporting the event on a cold October day.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

corsagsboOct-15-07 11:57 AM
Old School 2GNTer
390 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#553, "RE: 2007 ShootOut results"
In response to Reply # 0
Oct-15-07 12:00 PM by corsagsbo

thanks for posting that Dino.
I was there and some good passes were had as mentioned above, but it was too cold to have the track hold all day long. There were slick equipped cars grabbing hard off the line, but would end up shifting through the gears and to 5th before the 1000' mark due to no traction beyond the 330'. Also, I think he stretched the number a bit... it didn't look like 90 different vehicles were staged and racing. At best maybe 60 from what it looked to be all day.
Regardless, this event is one we need to continue to support and thank Dave for hosting. I'm glad he was able to reschedule.
Each year we see more variety introduced to this race, from an Fc Rx7 with a 4g63 and twin 50trim turbos, to old school Toyotas- I hope to see a hell of alot more 2gs next year because we were definately the minority this year. Myslef included, I have not been able to un my car for the 3rd year now!

Not mentioned prior, but kudos to Bullett. I saw him run several passes to his 13 sec ETs all motor. Good job man.

--------------------------------------
Santiago
boosted 420a...(2.2l v8 eater)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

MR BLUNT 2gntOct-15-07 05:57 PM
Member since Mar 20th 2002
793 posts,
#554, "RE: 2007 ShootOut results"
In response to Reply # 1

It was great talking with you Mark, congrats on making it to the finals. You were giving that thing hell all day and it was very impressive.

It sucked to see so many nice cars break Saturday. I really wanted to see what Marco's car was gonna do. That thing is bad ass. The fc is a Cleveland local and the owner of the e-famous 708whp Colt. I'm sure you all seen it the past few shootouts. The FC is a bit of a hack but he did put down 567 wheel with it so hes not doing too badly. There was also a very badass evo w/ a Shearer manifold feeding a 42r. I'm sure that thing is gonna haul ass when it sees some track time.

400whp or bust.

ModeratorbullettdsmOct-16-07 07:53 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#555, "RE: 2007 ShootOut results"
In response to Reply # 2

Finally got time and sleep to post something up.

Paul, thanks for the kudos. I got like 15 runs in (10 of them I was busy trying to figure out what to do with 2nd gear - which I think I found the problem ), so I would say I built the engine OK, lol.

Chad, great meeting you on a face to face basis. Nice looking ride, which, by the way, is NOT that loud for your neighbors. Sorry if I talked your ear off, but I tend to jaw flap (love the track). Yeah, second place with my bad. I should have just done what I know instead of trying to cut a .000. Running against a track rat with a bracket busting, automatic LeBaron, I should have known better. But all in all, running the largest bracket and coming in second is not that bad.

Cold (little sun)= no traction all day. Actually the breaks were not all that uncalled for. Even though the traction wasn't that great, the cold weather wreaks havoc on power train parts that need to be warmer. You can warm up an engine but it is tough to warm up axles and drivetrain parts (unless you put her on jacks and run it). I was concerned for my stockers with 154k on them. I didn't do a full, rev limiting, box shot until my last two runs. I wanted my axles to last.

Funny shit that pizza delivery Colt winning the quick 16. I think he actually qualified as 18th (?) and ended up getting in because of breaks or no shows. Absolute amazement when Serge broke in the finals. But, hey, that's racing.

Had a really good time (talking with the 2gnt brothers). But I still have an air flow problem. Couldn't get out of 99mph traps or 13.8 times. But it could have to do with both traction and the fact that she wouldn't NLS from 1st to 2nd at 8000rpm.

Fun time, cold time, but glad I made it back.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

Top Team 2GNT Community Old Shootout Forums 2007 DSM Shootout topic #552First topic | Next topic