Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top Team 2GNT Community The Pits v3.1 topic #49021
View in linear mode

Subject: "Normal, IL plant shutting down" Previous topic | Next topic
ModeratorVX100Jul-27-15 09:39 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#49021, "Normal, IL plant shutting down"

Seems like Mitsu will just build overseas.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/mitsubishi-motors-plans-japan-south-east-asia-russia-054056820--finance.html

Interesting to note from article: Mitsubishi sells 1 million vehicles world wide (not that many if you think about it, compared to other manufacturers), but only 82k last year in North America. That plant make 200k cars a year once, only about 70k a year now.

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJul-27-15 10:45 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14937 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#49022, "RE: Normal, IL plant shutting down"
In response to Reply # 0

Sad. Mitsubishi certainly isn't what it used to be.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratorCorbinJul-27-15 06:26 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
#49023, "RE: Normal, IL plant shutting down"
In response to Reply # 1

Looks like a sensible financial move. Americans just aren't buying their products. It seems like they whittle down their line-up every couple years. Now it is down to the Lancer, Outlander, and Mirage. With dwindling sales here, there is no motivation to bring us anything to revitalize their image. Eventually, they will probably drop out of the US market entirely. That would be a problem. I'm on a first name basis with the Mitsu parts department.

Corbin
'97 GSX dressed like a '95 ESi

ezJul-30-15 06:22 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#49024, "RE: Normal, IL plant shutting down"
In response to Reply # 2

I heard they are in discussion with another company that may acquire the plant, hopefully saving most of the jobs there. Sad news.

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneJul-30-15 07:29 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14937 posts,
#49025, "RE: Normal, IL plant shutting down"
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by Corbin
With dwindling sales here, there is no motivation to bring us anything to revitalize their image. Eventually, they will probably drop out of the US market entirely.

I read something to the contrary that I found encouraging: http://jalopnik.com/mitsubishi-is-not-dead-yet-1720389883

"Despite popular belief, Mitsubishi is actually expanding in terms of sales in the United States, with car sales up about 32 percent year-over-year in June and up nearly 25 percent for the first half of the year."

"Mirage sales are up 63.3 percent year-over-year, with 13,501 vehicles through June. That’s more than sales of the Volkswagen Beetle convertible and coupe combined"

"If they want to build a plant, it makes more sense to build in a place like Mexico where the free trade agreements are far superior (the Normal plant, for instance, used to export vehicles to Russia)."

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

John99RSAug-16-15 05:25 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1191 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#49028, "RE: Normal, IL plant shutting down"
In response to Reply # 4

I like what Dino posted! I know they aren't what they used to be but it would be really sad to see them stop completely over here. Between Dodge and Mitsu, I'm constantly searching and buying parts for my cars. It's getting harder to find them without going aftermarket.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3130861

Top Team 2GNT Community The Pits v3.1 topic #49021 Previous topic | Next topic