Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top Team 2GNT Community The Pits v3.1 topic #49006
View in linear mode

Subject: "2gnt life rekindled. the resurrection of a botched 98 rs." Previous topic | Next topic
driverx08Apr-27-15 11:32 PM
Member since Mar 20th 2012
9 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#49006, "2gnt life rekindled. the resurrection of a botched 98 rs."

I'm a firm believer in new starts. Everyone around me saw a 98 rs that was hacked in some of the worst ways, They told me I was absolutely wasting my time and money (they were right though). However i didn't see what was there, instead i saw what could be...

I was young and dumb (and still not much wiser today :p )
I bought a 98 rs with 100k on it, it Started really hard, ran rough and overheated 10 mins into the 50 mile trip home.

Blown Head gasket. Damn...

http://s1048.photobucket.com/user/driverx08/media/ffafcde7.jpg.html

So I fixed the head gasket, then one of my friends at the time convinced me to "just fill in the dents and paint this B*tch."

and so we did.... (dumb idea)

She looked good ... at first
Until the first winter in Maine when the large layers of bondo cracked, and rust was underneath. By the way, before it went in the garage for the winter i had blown the motor... ops

So my uncle told me to either sell the car completely, or pull my head outa my arse and do the car right so i could be proud of it.

so i took his advise and my wallet has been very ill since.

We only panels not replaced on the entire car are the two doors and the roof.

All of the parts with the exception of the front bumper, and two floor panels in the trunk were sourced from local mitsubishi dealer.
Car was brought down to bare metal, stripped of quarters doors and interior, fixed any and all rust areas. and reassembly began. I am proud to say that NO body filler of any type (other then primer) was used ANYWHERE on this car!

some photos

That would be one of my uncles.

New wheels arriving next week and hopefully reworking the suspension next.
then of course i start down the boosted path.

hope some of you members enjoyed my long post and actually made it to the end.

Shout out to my favorite uncle and the rest of the boys at Bruces Garage in Salem NH.

Ride it hard and put it away wet.

I fix it to abuse it, and abuse it till i find the next weakest link.... my wallet

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: 2gnt life rekindled. the resurrection of a botched 98 rs., Moderatorxcasbonx, Apr-28-15 06:02 AM, #1
RE: 2gnt life rekindled. the resurrection of a botched 98 rs., John99RS, Apr-28-15 04:34 PM, #2
      RE: 2gnt life rekindled. the resurrection of a botched 98 rs., grain, Apr-28-15 04:54 PM, #3
           RE: 2gnt life rekindled. the resurrection of a botched 98 rs., electrohead, Apr-28-15 07:05 PM, #4
                RE: 2gnt life rekindled. the resurrection of a botched 98 rs., ez, Apr-28-15 11:08 PM, #5
                     RE: 2gnt life rekindled. the resurrection of a botched 98 rs., driverx08, Apr-30-15 09:06 PM, #6
                          RE: 2gnt life rekindled. the resurrection of a botched 98 rs., iNoise, May-01-15 09:10 AM, #7
                               RE: 2gnt life rekindled. the resurrection of a botched 98 rs., BoostedEclipse, May-07-15 10:10 AM, #8
                                    RE: 2gnt life rekindled. the resurrection of a botched 98 rs., ModeratorCorbin, May-12-15 10:32 AM, #9
                                         RE: 2gnt life rekindled. the resurrection of a botched 98 rs., driverx08, May-19-15 12:47 PM, #10

ModeratorxcasbonxApr-28-15 06:02 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#49007, "RE: 2gnt life rekindled. the resurrection of a botched 98 rs."
In response to Reply # 0

Outstanding!

Thanks for sharing. This place is pretty quiet these days, but there are some of us around that still check in periodically.

I contributed to the Wiki.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

John99RSApr-28-15 04:34 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1191 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#49008, "RE: 2gnt life rekindled. the resurrection of a botched 98 rs."
In response to Reply # 1

That's awesome man! Really nice to see someone care about doing things the right way with the right parts. Looks great!

Our cars are very rare in nice shape these days.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3130861

grainApr-28-15 04:54 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2551 posts,
#49009, "RE: 2gnt life rekindled. the resurrection of a botched 98 rs."
In response to Reply # 2

Car looks great except that black stripe thing on the bottom.

electroheadApr-28-15 07:05 PM
Member since Dec 13th 2009
182 posts,
#49010, "RE: 2gnt life rekindled. the resurrection of a botched 98 rs."
In response to Reply # 3

Looks good, man! I've been meaning to post up some of my progress pictures of my build. Got to get on that! It's good to see people still working on these cars.

ezApr-28-15 11:08 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#49011, "RE: 2gnt life rekindled. the resurrection of a botched 98 rs."
In response to Reply # 4

Love the blue color. I honestly never even knew our rear quarter panels were available for purchase from the dealer, and that they could be swapped!

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

driverx08Apr-30-15 09:06 PM
9 posts,
#49012, "RE: 2gnt life rekindled. the resurrection of a botched 98 rs."
In response to Reply # 5

Yah they can be and let me tell you there are an ungodly amount of spot welds to drill out on each side. But actually the panels them selfs are pretty cheap i got both sides for 350.

Guys i know its totally a ridiculous theory ... however

imagine:

2 gen eclipse modestly lowered..

nothing too flashy

converted to full RWD and powered by an LS motor...

what i need to know is how much power will the stock gsx rear diff hold? on average?

or if i need to go to a full solid axle.

I fix it to abuse it, and abuse it till i find the next weakest link.... my wallet

iNoiseMay-01-15 09:10 AM
Member since Dec 17th 2009
47 posts,
#49013, "RE: 2gnt life rekindled. the resurrection of a botched 98 rs."
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by driverx08
how much power will the stock gsx rear diff hold? on average? or if i need to go to a full solid axle.

Don't think they are strong enough to hold much power on their own, but i could be wrong.

Awesome job BTW

BoostedEclipseMay-07-15 10:10 AM
Donating 2GNT member
283 posts,
#49014, "RE: 2gnt life rekindled. the resurrection of a botched 98 rs."
In response to Reply # 7

Mad props for the hard work and choosing the right way to do it. Good luck with the future modifications.

- 98 Eclipse rs turbo

ModeratorCorbinMay-12-15 10:32 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2552 posts,
#49015, "RE: 2gnt life rekindled. the resurrection of a botched 98 rs."
In response to Reply # 8

Love that blue and I congratulate you for putting so much effort into bringing it back with straight body panels. I hope you don't save your receipts, because the total figure will be depressing. There is at least one 2G Eclipse with LS and RWD swap. RWD swaps with other engines have been done as well. To my knowledge, they are not using the GSX rear end. The ones I saw pretty much cut the rear of the car apart and built a tube frame back there to mount a proper RWD rear end. Those are drag cars though, so handling was secondary. Do you have to pass emissions in NH?

Corbin
'97 GSX dressed like a '95 ESi

driverx08May-19-15 12:47 PM
9 posts,
#49016, "RE: 2gnt life rekindled. the resurrection of a botched 98 rs."
In response to Reply # 9

Actually I'm in Maine so no emissions for me!

And ya I did the homework on the rear wheel drive thing and it's not really a realistic goal for me but it was a fun idea.

However, I was able to get my hands on a srt4 complete engine and trans. Engine broke a timing belt so head is a little screwed but I'm going to put our 420a head on anyways. And going with new internals .020 overbore. Bump up to a 2.4l almost like the cloud car swaps.

Engine came with an AGP turbo system on it and I'm going to reuse what I can.
Does anyone have and experience with megasquirts newer msn pro system?

Top Team 2GNT Community The Pits v3.1 topic #49006 Previous topic | Next topic