Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top Team 2GNT Community The Pits v3.1 topic #48726
View in linear mode

Subject: "2gnt lemons car?" Previous topic | Next topic
Moderatorcs82685Apr-05-13 06:07 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2007 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#48726, "2gnt lemons car?"

Has anyone ever considered it? I was listening to the smoking tire podcast the other day and they were talking about lemons and it just sounds so fun. I have a 95? I think?shell at my inlaws house that I thought would be fun to turn into a lemons car but I don't even have the know how, time or money to get started. If I did though my thoughts were as light as possible plus Evo wheels/brakes (they stop a 3200lb car awesome I'm sure something a good 500+ pounds lighter would be pretty incredible) plus perhaps some motor in the rear for power (think a 4g63 motor would fit back there)?

We can all dream a little right?

What would be your ideal lemons car or ideal setup for a 2gnt lemons car?

I contributed to the Wiki!
EVO IX - just a really expensive boost gauge and a K&N air filter
96 Eclipse RS -awaiting registration and inspection
95 Eclipse GS - parts car
Mods/Profile - http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=cs82685

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: 2gnt lemons car?, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Apr-05-13 08:25 PM, #1
RE: 2gnt lemons car?, freelancefool, Apr-05-13 11:05 PM, #2
      RE: 2gnt lemons car?, Moderatorbullettdsm, Apr-06-13 05:39 AM, #3
           RE: 2gnt lemons car?, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Apr-12-13 11:55 AM, #4
                RE: 2gnt lemons car?, Moderatorbullettdsm, Apr-13-13 10:43 AM, #5
                     RE: 2gnt lemons car?, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Apr-13-13 10:30 PM, #6
                          RE: 2gnt lemons car?, Moderatorcs82685, Apr-14-13 07:54 AM, #7
                               RE: 2gnt lemons car?, Moderatorbullettdsm, Apr-15-13 05:49 AM, #8
                                    RE: 2gnt lemons car?, Slo2g, Apr-17-13 11:55 PM, #9
                                         RE: 2gnt lemons car?, 0Boost, Apr-21-13 12:36 PM, #10
                                              RE: 2gnt lemons car?, Moderatorcs82685, Apr-24-13 04:36 AM, #11
                                                   RE: 2gnt lemons car?, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Apr-24-13 11:23 AM, #12
                                                        RE: 2gnt lemons car?, 0Boost, Apr-25-13 07:07 PM, #13
                                                             RE: 2gnt lemons car?, dalesmitsu, May-07-13 11:12 PM, #14
                                                                  RE: 2gnt lemons car?, SilvrEclips, May-09-13 01:47 PM, #15
                                                                       RE: 2gnt lemons car?, eclipse420ags, May-23-13 05:57 AM, #16

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneApr-05-13 08:25 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#48727, "RE: 2gnt lemons car?"
In response to Reply # 0

I race in lemons, but not in a 2G. There are a couple of 1G's that race in the Gulf Coast region, though.

Start with a shell that already has four wheel disc and a manual trans.

I'd strip it to the bones, sell anything with more than scrap, cage it to spec, do gsx brakes, neon oil pan with a scraper at least or a full windage tray from IJ at best, bone stock motor otherwise. Make the exhaust work somehow, it only has to make it behind the driver before it dumps. With lemons, you want it really simple and familiar so when the inevitable catastrophic failure occurs, you know exactly what to do to get back on the track add fast as possible.

Then I'd race the shit out of it until it dies, fix and repeat.

I've heard the Judges state that there has never been a DSM that finished a lemons race.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

freelancefoolApr-05-13 11:05 PM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#48728, "RE: 2gnt lemons car?"
In response to Reply # 1

I can completely believe that no DSM has ever finished. Especially not a turbo model. It would take significant cooling upgrades to a 4g motor to deal with racing that kind of distance. No way you would be able to bluff your way in having under the $500 car budget.

My Blog

ModeratorbullettdsmApr-06-13 05:39 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#48729, "RE: 2gnt lemons car?"
In response to Reply # 2

Why would you want to build a Lemon?

Classification description?

While the idea appeals to me (just to be different and I know I have beaten the piss out of 420a's), I won't move to Texas just to play, lol.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneApr-12-13 11:55 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#48734, "RE: 2gnt lemons car?"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by bullettdsm
I won't move to Texas just to play, lol.

http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/events.aspx

What would moving to Texas have to do with anything? It's a nation-wide circuit.

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

ModeratorbullettdsmApr-13-13 10:43 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#48735, "RE: 2gnt lemons car?"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by DarkOne
Originally posted by bullettdsm I won't move to Texas just to play, lol.
http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/events.aspx What would moving to Texas have to do with anything? It's a nation-wide circuit.

Great ANOTHER fucking project I want to do........

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneApr-13-13 10:30 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#48738, "RE: 2gnt lemons car?"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by bullettdsm
Great ANOTHER fucking project I want to do........

Cry me a river. In LeMons, failure is not only an option, it's *encouraged*

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

Moderatorcs82685Apr-14-13 07:54 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2007 posts,
#48739, "RE: 2gnt lemons car?"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by bullettdsm Great ANOTHER fucking project I want to do........

Haha I imagine its gotta be fun just to even spectate at a lemons event.

Mark I've got a donor shell for you

ModeratorbullettdsmApr-15-13 05:49 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#48740, "RE: 2gnt lemons car?"
In response to Reply # 7
Apr-15-13 05:49 AM by bullettdsm

Originally posted by cs82685
Originally posted by bullettdsm Great ANOTHER fucking project I want to do........
Haha I imagine its gotta be fun just to even spectate at a lemons event. Mark I've got a donor shell for you

FU lol!

I can't even get my current projects lined up......

Captain Caveman

Slo2gApr-17-13 11:55 PM
Member since Feb 10th 2006
1074 posts,
#48741, "RE: 2gnt lemons car?"
In response to Reply # 8

FUCK, I had a donor shell free for pick up to someone that wanted to do this...I mean I want to but I have too many other projects going on...one day maybe...one day!

0BoostApr-21-13 12:36 PM
Member since Feb 22nd 2013
16 posts,
#48742, "RE: 2gnt lemons car?"
In response to Reply # 9

I have been wanting to do this for years now. Ever since I read about it in Sport Compact Car magazine. Unfortunately I have never had the funds for it. Would be fun as hell though.

98 Eclipse GS - DD/Project car/Money shredder.

Moderatorcs82685Apr-24-13 04:36 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2007 posts,
#48751, "RE: 2gnt lemons car?"
In response to Reply # 10

Originally posted by 0Boost
I have been wanting to do this for years now. Ever since I read about it in Sport Compact Car magazine. Unfortunately I have never had the funds for it. Would be fun as hell though.

Supposedly there are a few people who let you buy a seat in one if their cars for relatively cheap (in comparison to finding/buying/building your own car)

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneApr-24-13 11:23 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#48752, "RE: 2gnt lemons car?"
In response to Reply # 11

Originally posted by cs82685
Supposedly there are a few people who let you buy a seat in one if their cars for relatively cheap (in comparison to finding/buying/building your own car)

This is extremely common. The rules state you need a minimum of 4 drivers per team, so a lot of teams that may be one or two people with a car will accept arrive-and-drive teammates just to make the minimum. They tend to be very good about equally distributing seat time, i.e. you're not just a name to fill out a roster, because LeMons is a small community overall, and if you're shitty to your arrive-and-drives, then people will stop driving with you and you'll be SOL.

'13 Evo X (mostly stock)

0BoostApr-25-13 07:07 PM
Member since Feb 22nd 2013
16 posts,
#48753, "RE: 2gnt lemons car?"
In response to Reply # 12

I can just imagine standing there waiting, like a kid waiting to be picked for a kickball team. lol

98 Eclipse GS - DD/Project car/Money shredder.

dalesmitsuMay-07-13 11:12 PM
Member since May 13th 2006
986 posts,
#48763, "RE: 2gnt lemons car?"
In response to Reply # 13

Actually, I have thought about it and also, run at mid-ohio.

__
1995 gs Saved from the crusher
1998 RS gone to(Dsm Heaven)
1997 gs gone to Dsm heaven

SilvrEclipsMay-09-13 01:47 PM
Member since Nov 27th 2007
534 posts,
#48764, "RE: 2gnt lemons car?"
In response to Reply # 14

Me and a couple buddies from work are building a Chump car to race this season. A Z31 300zx, should be a fun little car when it gets finished. First race is in June if we can make it.

98 Eclipse GS Turbo
Built motor - MS2 - Holset hy35 - Zoom Stg 4 Clutch - 57.5mm TB - ARP Headstuds - Turbonetics wastegate - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Cobra calipers w/ 13" Rotors - Oil Cooler - DevilsOwn meth injection

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i

eclipse420agsMay-23-13 05:57 AM
Member since Apr 23rd 2012
99 posts,
#48765, "RE: 2gnt lemons car?"
In response to Reply # 15

Every time I read this, this is what I think.

Top Team 2GNT Community The Pits v3.1 topic #48726 Previous topic | Next topic