Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top Team 2GNT Community The Pits v3.1 topic #48623
View in linear mode

Subject: "Little update. Grab your coats." Previous topic | Next topic
barza21Dec-16-12 02:16 AM
Member since Oct 09th 2006
313 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#48623, "Little update. Grab your coats."

Hello, dudes!

Hope everybody is doing ok

I haven't posted anything on here in a while and just wanted to share this with you guys.

As some of you might know, I moved to Alaska about three months ago. I've seen my share fare of interesting things so far, but there is nothing like this. Today we hit -40* and I thought I should share. Yes, I know, the picture shows -37*, but it was colder earlier today.

I gotta say that the Eclipse doesn't like anything below -20*. At -25* the powersteering started freezing and at -30* the clutch starts getting mushy. At -35* the clutch is mushy and the powersteering pump had to be disconnected because it blew one of the lines. At -40* the car is eating fuel like a big V8...

I have been told that the colder months are yet to come. I can put up with -20*, but anything below that just feels wrong.

Hope everybody has a wonderful holiday season and enjoy your 25* weather!

Oscar

P.S. I got to see the sun for the first time today in over a week

I wish I had blown it, believe me, I do...

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Little update. Grab your coats., SilvrEclips, Dec-16-12 03:37 PM, #1
RE: Little update. Grab your coats., barza21, Dec-16-12 03:50 PM, #2
      RE: Little update. Grab your coats., Fotowntalon, Dec-17-12 08:16 AM, #3
           RE: Little update. Grab your coats., Moderatorbullettdsm, Dec-17-12 03:00 PM, #4
                RE: Little update. Grab your coats., barza21, Dec-19-12 01:58 AM, #5
                     RE: Little update. Grab your coats., Moderatorxcasbonx, Dec-20-12 08:02 AM, #6
                          RE: Little update. Grab your coats., barza21, Dec-21-12 10:46 PM, #7
                               RE: Little update. Grab your coats., TeamDR1665, Dec-28-12 01:13 AM, #8
RE: Little update. Grab your coats., AdministratorCODE4, Dec-30-12 07:58 AM, #9
RE: Little update. Grab your coats., barza21, Jan-03-13 02:21 AM, #10
      RE: Little update. Grab your coats., ModeratorVX100, Jan-13-13 10:47 PM, #11
           RE: Little update. Grab your coats., barza21, Jan-20-13 10:05 PM, #12
                RE: Little update. Grab your coats., freelancefool, Jan-22-13 05:39 PM, #13
                     RE: Little update. Grab your coats., ModeratorVX100, Feb-20-13 08:52 PM, #14
                          RE: Little update. Grab your coats., 420agreenvilleSC, Feb-27-13 05:38 PM, #15
                               RE: Little update. Grab your coats., freelancefool, Feb-28-13 07:45 AM, #16

SilvrEclipsDec-16-12 03:37 PM
Member since Nov 27th 2007
534 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#48624, "RE: Little update. Grab your coats."
In response to Reply # 0

Damn dude thats freakin cold. I cant even imagine having to go out in weather like that. I dont even like when it gets below freezing temps here. Was it a permanent move up there for you?

98 Eclipse GS Turbo
Built motor - MS2 - Holset hy35 - Zoom Stg 4 Clutch - 57.5mm TB - ARP Headstuds - Turbonetics wastegate - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Cobra calipers w/ 13" Rotors - Oil Cooler - DevilsOwn meth injection

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

barza21Dec-16-12 03:50 PM
313 posts,
#48625, "RE: Little update. Grab your coats."
In response to Reply # 1

Sorta. I am gonna stay up here for a bit to gain some experience in my job and then I might move down to Anchorage or back to the lower 48. Really don't know yet

FotowntalonDec-17-12 08:16 AM
Member since Aug 09th 2009
350 posts,
#48626, "RE: Little update. Grab your coats."
In response to Reply # 2

While I wish you luck, and it was interesting, I have to admit I am much more intrigued by this "collection of stories" on your desktop... I feel a new thread needs to be started called "Oscar's Story Time". Please make it so.

97 Talon ESi 14.943@91.35MPH N/A!
"If you need someone to provide an itemized build of materials and a flowchart to walk you through every build-related question you will need to answer at each step of the process, you shouldn't be playing with cars. "-Driggs

ModeratorbullettdsmDec-17-12 03:00 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#48627, "RE: Little update. Grab your coats."
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by Fotowntalon
While I wish you luck, and it was interesting, I have to admit I am much more intrigued by this "collection of stories" on your desktop... I feel a new thread needs to be started called "Oscar's Story Time". Please make it so.

Hmm, I clicked on his pictures of Alaska and nothing happened. Think he may have a virus?

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

barza21Dec-19-12 01:58 AM
313 posts,
#48628, "RE: Little update. Grab your coats."
In response to Reply # 4

Steve, when the time is right, I will make the post as you have requested. I've been active in this industry for only two months and some weeks, and I can say I have heard some pretty interesting things. That's part of what that is

Mark, I think it must be a virus. There's no other explanation for it I will try to fix that, though

ModeratorxcasbonxDec-20-12 08:02 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
#48629, "RE: Little update. Grab your coats."
In response to Reply # 5

Good to hear from you Oscar. Thanks for sharing your experiences in the last frontier. I'm sure it has been humbling dealing with the weather.

I contributed to the Wiki.

barza21Dec-21-12 10:46 PM
313 posts,
#48631, "RE: Little update. Grab your coats."
In response to Reply # 6

Cas, thanks.

It has been an interesting experience for sure. I used to say that I wasn't afraid of the cold, but now I believe that the cold must be respected. At least anything below -10*

TeamDR1665Dec-28-12 01:13 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#48641, "RE: Little update. Grab your coats."
In response to Reply # 7

Alaska intrigues me. Don't think I could survive such cold weather, though. Yowsers!

AdministratorCODE4Dec-30-12 07:58 AM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#48642, "RE: Little update. Grab your coats."
In response to Reply # 0

Moving to Alaska does not change the fact that I do not like you, Barza.

---

2012 2500HD LML

barza21Jan-03-13 02:21 AM
313 posts,
#48647, "RE: Little update. Grab your coats."
In response to Reply # 9
Jan-03-13 02:23 AM by barza21

Originally posted by CODE4
Moving to Alaska does not change the fact that I do not like you, Barza.

ModeratorVX100Jan-13-13 10:47 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#48653, "RE: Little update. Grab your coats."
In response to Reply # 10

That cold enough for me to not want to visit, never mind live there. Ouch.

I can't imagine how difficult it really is to live up there when conditions get that cold.

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

barza21Jan-20-13 10:05 PM
313 posts,
#48668, "RE: Little update. Grab your coats."
In response to Reply # 11

Originally posted by VX100
That cold enough for me to not want to visit, never mind live there. Ouch. I can't imagine how difficult it really is to live up there when conditions get that cold.

I've heard that the summer months are very pretty. I wouldn't let the winter discourage you from visiting during the summer

As a quick update, I can say (proudly) that I am surviving the cold. The weekend right before Christmas we got a cold front come thru and it dropped temperatures down to about -50*. For some weird reason I was scheduled to work that weekend, and it just so happened that all the work that had to be done had to be done outside.

Like I said, don't let a little bit of cold discourage you

freelancefoolJan-22-13 05:39 PM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#48669, "RE: Little update. Grab your coats."
In response to Reply # 12

I love the videos on YouTube of this guy with a Subaru in Alaska. At -37*C and he has to let his car warm up 5-10 minutes so it will idle with the clutch out. It blows my mind at those temperatures that there is that much drag to keep the engine from running in neutral.

I never pictured you to be one living in Alaska though.

My Blog

ModeratorVX100Feb-20-13 08:52 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#48682, "RE: Little update. Grab your coats."
In response to Reply # 13

I'm surprised it started at -37 degrees. I know just getting a car to turn over when it is 0 deg F on those rare occations can be tough. When it was 6F one morning I was sure mine wouldn't start but it did.

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

420agreenvilleSCFeb-27-13 05:38 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#48683, "RE: Little update. Grab your coats."
In response to Reply # 14

I'm tired of the friggin cold temps.. Soo ready for spring!

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

freelancefoolFeb-28-13 07:45 AM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#48684, "RE: Little update. Grab your coats."
In response to Reply # 15

I thought you died. You pretty much disappeared.

My Blog

Top Team 2GNT Community The Pits v3.1 topic #48623 Previous topic | Next topic