Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top Team 2GNT Community The Pits v3.1 topic #48336
View in linear mode

Subject: "Lawn Tractor selection" Previous topic | Next topic
AdministratorCODE4Jun-09-12 07:29 AM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#48336, "Lawn Tractor selection"

Gents,

Need input: I have .75 acre of relatively flat property to mow, and for the past year and a half I have been sucking it up and using a 21" push mower. My time is too valuable to be wasting nearly 3 hours a week keeping it cut.

Budget: ~$2,000 or less.

Recommendations? I have read a bit of various forums and experiences. I have John Deere, Husq, and Simplicity dealers in my area, as well as other big box options.

Chime in your personal experiences with success/failures on brands, parts, service, etc.

Thanks.

---

2012 2500HD LML

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Lawn Tractor selection, Moderatorteklein, Jun-09-12 10:41 AM, #1
RE: Lawn Tractor selection, AdministratorCODE4, Jun-09-12 11:48 AM, #2
      RE: Lawn Tractor selection, bluespunk, Jun-11-12 10:16 AM, #3
           RE: Lawn Tractor selection, Fallen4ng31, Jun-11-12 12:12 PM, #4
                RE: Lawn Tractor selection, Fotowntalon, Jun-11-12 01:55 PM, #5
                     RE: Lawn Tractor selection, Guinness97, Jun-14-12 07:44 AM, #6
                          RE: Lawn Tractor selection, SilvrEclips, Jun-14-12 08:43 AM, #7
                               RE: Lawn Tractor selection, AdministratorCODE4, Jun-14-12 12:22 PM, #8
                                    RE: Lawn Tractor selection, SilvrEclips, Jun-14-12 02:33 PM, #9
                                         RE: Lawn Tractor selection, AdministratorCODE4, Jul-07-12 04:06 PM, #10

ModeratortekleinJun-09-12 10:41 AM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#48337, "RE: Lawn Tractor selection"
In response to Reply # 0

Kubota - its a little more than what you are looking to spend, but every two years you can trade it in for the full purchase price and get a new one.

Behind that I like Cub Cadet - they actually have a driveshaft.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

AdministratorCODE4Jun-09-12 11:48 AM
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#48338, "RE: Lawn Tractor selection"
In response to Reply # 1

Trade up every two years huh? That is a pretty good deal in itself. Is that what you run? What model? I need to measure the door opening of my shed as that is is my width dimension limiting factor.

What did you pay, if you do not mind me asking? Do they deliver as well? I have been reading a lot of reviews on lower model John Deeres and other commonly available brands, but again for every negative review, who knows how many positive reviews go unmentioned.

---

2012 2500HD LML

bluespunkJun-11-12 10:16 AM
Member since Apr 08th 2008
98 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#48341, "RE: Lawn Tractor selection"
In response to Reply # 2

My dad uses a Simplicity to mow a 2-3 acre section of his property and he loves it. He picked it up from a laker having a garage sale. They had taken pretty good care of it and had all the service records to prove it. He also has an old Wheelhorse with no mower that he uses to pull trailers around the property and he had an old Gilson for about 15 years too. Both of those were my Grandpa's before he passed. Grandpa was a retired mechanic and he pretty much collected old mowers fixing them up and trading them off for the next project.

My uncle rents an acre or two from mom and dad and mows that with his John Deere. He seems really happy with it. Their neighbor swears by his John Deere as well. He has an acre or two that he mows for a yard and another four or five acres that he mows trails into. However, I've also heard a coworker that raises horses and has farmed that John Deere's are known to be awesome tractors with not so great mowers on them. He says the mower decks the mower decks have a reputation for being difficult to keep aligned, so they always cut at a slant. My uncle hasn't really had any issues with that as far as I know. My neighbor's yard has always been immaculate, so I doubt he would put up with a sub-par mower.

Personally, I think you'd be fine with either. I haven't personally met anyone who has regretted buying a John Deere or a Simplicity. With a space the size you're looking to mow, I don't think you'll have too many issues either way. Most the issues we've had come from running them too long at once. Doing more than an acre or two, you need to worry about things like burning up belts from the mower deck getting too hot. Mom and Dad have 7 or 8 acres total. They don't usually mow the back half, just the front 2 and the 1 or 2 that my uncle rents get mowed on a regular basis. If you try to do the whole property in a day though, you can pretty much count on toasting a belt or screwing something else up. For that much land, you really need a commercial mower. Sticking to 2 or 3 acres, we haven't really had any issues. Less than an acre, basic maintenance should keep pretty much anything running.

I don't know anyone with a Kubota (most people I know are as broke as I am), but I've never heard anything bad about them either. Trading in at full price sounds like a good deal if you plan to trade it in. We've always bought used ones and sold them after we upgraded to better used ones, so I couldn't tell you what to expect from trading in a John Deere or a Simplicity. I can tell you they both do well in backyard deals, so imagine they hold their value reasonably, but I doubt you're gonna get full price on them.

Fallen4ng31Jun-11-12 12:12 PM
Donating 2GNT member
370 posts,
#48342, "RE: Lawn Tractor selection"
In response to Reply # 3
Jun-11-12 02:01 PM by Fallen4ng31

The folks have both a few year old John Deere, and a 30-some-year-old Allis-Chalmers. truth be told that ancient Allis Chalmers tractor was probably the most reliable, rock solid tractor ever.

You've seen my yard, so you know I don't need a riding mower, but I've had good luck with Husq's and TB's. I'd suggest looking on CL for a used 'ride on' Husquavarna or Troy Bilt mower. You can usually save a grand or so, depending on how many hours are on it. We're in a REALLY good area for used landscaping equipment. Lawn service companies go in and out of business all the time here. It's one of FL's biggest industries.

Edit - It's a Deutz-Allis; Not an Allis-Chalmers

1998 Eclipse RS-T - Totaled 4/23/09 -
1998 Eclipse GST - Stroked 2.3l, HX40 fed: Build in progress
2010 Subaru Outback Limited

I hate hipsters.

FotowntalonJun-11-12 01:55 PM
Member since Aug 09th 2009
350 posts,
#48343, "RE: Lawn Tractor selection"
In response to Reply # 4

Probably not the most helpful, but I am a big fan of zero turn mowers.

97 Talon ESi 14.943@91.35MPH N/A!
"If you need someone to provide an itemized build of materials and a flowchart to walk you through every build-related question you will need to answer at each step of the process, you shouldn't be playing with cars. "-Driggs

Guinness97Jun-14-12 07:44 AM
Member since Dec 06th 2004
89 posts,
#48353, "RE: Lawn Tractor selection"
In response to Reply # 5

I don't think you can go wrong with a Deere....you just may pay more (I may be slightly biased because I grew up in Deere town). I have heard the mowers with the Kawasaki motors in them tend to be more reliable.

I have had an old standard Craftsman riding mower that I bought from my in laws and it does the job, but their's nothing fancy about it.

My Dad has had a Troy Bilt for 10 years and never had any problems with it...

Really, I think mowers are somewhat similiar to cars as long as you take care of them and perform general maintenance, they should all last a long time. If I were you I would just get on CL and find a cheap riding mower for a couple hundred bucks....then put the savings into the 2gnt. When it comes down to it, it's just a mower...my two cents...

My neighbor has about half an acre and bought a zero turn radius mower brand new (can't remember brand) for like $4,000 and I was like, why?

SilvrEclipsJun-14-12 08:43 AM
Member since Nov 27th 2007
534 posts,
#48354, "RE: Lawn Tractor selection"
In response to Reply # 6

I would recommend Husqvarna over John deer. My dad has a Deer and that thing is a piece. Had to replace the mandrels twice already with only 80hrs on it. Leaks oil, etc. Cub cadet seems to be good but I dont have much experience with them.

Note my opinion may be bias as I work for Husqvarna

98 Eclipse GS Turbo
Built motor - MS2 - Holset hy35 - Zoom Stg 4 Clutch - 57.5mm TB - ARP Headstuds - Turbonetics wastegate - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Cobra calipers w/ 13" Rotors - Oil Cooler - DevilsOwn meth injection

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i

AdministratorCODE4Jun-14-12 12:22 PM
2552 posts,
#48359, "RE: Lawn Tractor selection"
In response to Reply # 7

Appreciate the insight everyone. Still shopping around. I also had the thought of shopping on CL for a used model but there is a sea of shit to wade through to find anything that seems worthwhile. Additionally, I really do not feel the urge to buy something that may require immediate maintenance and have an unknown history.

Jason,

Since you work for Husq, what are the warranties like? Does Husq make Craftsman mowers? Lower end JDs have a 2 year/120 hr warranty which does not say much for the manufacturer's expectations of them. I want something that is going to last longer than 2 years.

---

2012 2500HD LML

SilvrEclipsJun-14-12 02:33 PM
Member since Nov 27th 2007
534 posts,
#48363, "RE: Lawn Tractor selection"
In response to Reply # 8

Yes we make some Craftsman mowers. we also make a few other brand that are all mostly the same mechanically. The warranty depends on what you buy, most average size mowers are about 3-5 year warranty and have a life expectancy around 750hrs.

98 Eclipse GS Turbo
Built motor - MS2 - Holset hy35 - Zoom Stg 4 Clutch - 57.5mm TB - ARP Headstuds - Turbonetics wastegate - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Cobra calipers w/ 13" Rotors - Oil Cooler - DevilsOwn meth injection

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i

AdministratorCODE4Jul-07-12 04:06 PM
2552 posts,
#48391, "RE: Lawn Tractor selection"
In response to Reply # 9

Bought a Cadet LTX1045.

Mowed my lawn this morning and what would normally take over 3 hours with my 20" Lawn Boy now only takes less than 45 minutes. The deck washdown feature is nice and effective. Cut is clean and mower handles well.

---

2012 2500HD LML

Top Team 2GNT Community The Pits v3.1 topic #48336 Previous topic | Next topic