Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top Team 2GNT Community The Pits v3.1 topic #40709
View in linear mode

Subject: "Review: eBaY turbo blanket" Previous topic | Next topic
420agreenvilleSCJul-12-09 08:52 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#40709, "Review: eBaY turbo blanket"

have to say, this is top quality. Rumour is going around that this seller is taking PTP turbo blankets, repainting them, and reselling. This has been disproved, and upon obtaining that knowledge, decided to buy.

Quality is A+ material. Shipping was about a week. Durable outside material, inside is lined with wiremesh. Internal feels like small, very small, balls or something. Very beefy. lol

Auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280362890528&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT

check out this vid. It's his.

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Review: eBaY turbo blanket, burntheblobs, Jul-14-09 09:05 PM, #1
RE: Review: eBaY turbo blanket, 420agreenvilleSC, Jul-14-09 09:29 PM, #2
RE: Review: eBaY turbo blanket, J, Jul-14-09 11:00 PM, #3
      RE: Review: eBaY turbo blanket, Moderatorcs82685, Jul-15-09 05:01 AM, #4
           RE: Review: eBaY turbo blanket, 420agreenvilleSC, Jul-15-09 10:06 AM, #5
RE: Review: eBaY turbo blanket, Moderatormicyek, Jul-15-09 06:26 PM, #7
RE: Review: eBaY turbo blanket, bzoss, Jul-15-09 01:53 PM, #6
RE: Review: eBaY turbo blanket, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Jul-15-09 06:33 PM, #8

burntheblobsJul-14-09 09:05 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1445 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#40729, "RE: Review: eBaY turbo blanket"
In response to Reply # 0

Is this really a product that should be sought after, though? I understand exhaust wrap, because only harm can be had by letting exhaust gasses go freely in the engine bay. But there is oil and coolant flowing through the turbo. I feel like there is a risk of cooking the oil in the lines or some other catastrophic failure that could happen by trapping all that heat.

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX - SOLD
2006 Mustang GT Convertible

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

420agreenvilleSCJul-14-09 09:29 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#40730, "RE: Review: eBaY turbo blanket"
In response to Reply # 1

You are confused. This blanket ONLY covers the hot side of the turbo, not the oil/coolant passages. example below.

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

JJul-14-09 11:00 PM
Old School 2GNTer
794 posts,
#40731, "RE: Review: eBaY turbo blanket"
In response to Reply # 2

Impressive video... I wonder how well a T3/T4 blanket would fit a s16G?

- J

Moderatorcs82685Jul-15-09 05:01 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2007 posts,
#40732, "RE: Review: eBaY turbo blanket"
In response to Reply # 3

There's a good spot for reviews in the wiki

I contributed to the Wiki!
EVO IX - just a really expensive boost gauge and a K&N air filter
96 Eclipse RS -awaiting registration and inspection
95 Eclipse GS - parts car
Mods/Profile - http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=cs82685

420agreenvilleSCJul-15-09 10:06 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#40735, "RE: Review: eBaY turbo blanket"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by cs82685
There's a good spot for reviews in the wiki

forgot about that. and a 16g, the smallest I think this guy had was for a t3/t4. It's too large for a 16g. search, or PM the guy, he may can help you.

ModeratormicyekJul-15-09 06:26 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5070 posts,
#40741, "RE: Review: eBaY turbo blanket"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by burntheblobs
Is this really a product that should be sought after, though? I understand exhaust wrap, because only harm can be had by letting exhaust gasses go freely in the engine bay. But there is oil and coolant flowing through the turbo. I feel like there is a risk of cooking the oil in the lines or some other catastrophic failure that could happen by trapping all that heat.

I think you have a point. Even though it only covers the hot side, it keeps the heat in, and that heat has to go some place. The next closest "radiators" so to speak, would be the down pipe and/or the center section (hot ass oil)...and ultimately the compressor side (which is made out of aluminum, a really good conductor of heat). That might make your intake air temps considerably hotter. One may argue that an efficient enough IC would take car of that, and you would be right.

So...to the OP if you would please log your IATs before and after the install. This should go without saying, but do it the same day, same time of day and don't take your intial reading until after you are good and warmed up. And post the results of everything in the reviews section of the wiki, please and thank you.

getty up

-kent-

'98 Talon...gone, but not forgotten

bzossJul-15-09 01:53 PM
Member since Jun 14th 2003
298 posts,
#40738, "RE: Review: eBaY turbo blanket"
In response to Reply # 0

Looks good, but at $100.00, I will stick with the heat wrap I currently use. Cost me about 1/5 that price, and does well enough for me!

Not a bad product though.

Built block.
Refinished head.
Tuned suspension.
TURBO.

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonJul-15-09 06:33 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#40742, "RE: Review: eBaY turbo blanket"
In response to Reply # 6

Turbo wraps are nothing new, this is just another style. It will work fine however there is a cost for everything. Turbo wraps are known for trapping moisture, rain water, Salt (if you life in the Snowy ares) and are know to really rust the hell out of the turbine section. Its a well known rule in areas with snow that the wrap must be removed periodically to watch for heavy rust scale.

Top Team 2GNT Community The Pits v3.1 topic #40709 Previous topic | Next topic