Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top Team 2GNT Community The Pits v3.1 topic #37508
View in linear mode

Subject: ""Red Ring of Death"" Previous topic | Next topic
barza21Dec-21-08 01:12 AM
Member since Oct 09th 2006
313 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#37508, ""Red Ring of Death""

Like the title says, when I was starting to love my xbox because of COD5 it decides to die on me. It simply froze up and then when I rebooted it, I got the red ring in the front light.

So, now I am in the dilemma of either sending it to Microsoft and having it fixed (which takes a lot of time) or should I just buy a PS3? Which one do you guys think?

Has this happened to anybody? Is Microsoft difficult to deal with with this type of stuff? Any input would be great.

Thanks

p.s. before you guys ask, I have rebooted the damm thing like 8 times and nothing, always get the same end result.

I wish I had blown it, believe me, I do...

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: "Red Ring of Death", ModeratoreclipzGST, Dec-21-08 01:26 AM, #1
RE: "Red Ring of Death", 2GNT_95eclipse, Dec-21-08 01:56 AM, #2
      RE: "Red Ring of Death", cc8balla, Dec-21-08 02:52 AM, #3
           RE: "Red Ring of Death", shuwa29, Dec-21-08 07:50 AM, #4
                RE: "Red Ring of Death", sonikbewm, Dec-21-08 11:12 AM, #5
                     RE: "Red Ring of Death", DanKid, Dec-21-08 01:37 PM, #6
                          RE: "Red Ring of Death", boosted60trimrst, Dec-21-08 01:55 PM, #7
                               RE: "Red Ring of Death", DanKid, Dec-21-08 02:22 PM, #8
                                    RE: "Red Ring of Death", red95eclipse, Dec-21-08 03:42 PM, #9
                                         RE: "Red Ring of Death", DanKid, Dec-21-08 04:19 PM, #10
                                              RE: "Red Ring of Death", barza21, Dec-21-08 04:28 PM, #11
                                              RE: "Red Ring of Death", Moderatorteklein, Dec-21-08 07:52 PM, #12
                                                   RE: "Red Ring of Death", Fallen4ng31, Dec-22-08 05:52 AM, #13
                                                        RE: /, 96rs-t, Dec-22-08 02:41 PM, #14
                                                             RE: /, cc8balla, Dec-22-08 05:26 PM, #15
                                                                  RE: /, Diceman19, Dec-23-08 07:34 AM, #16
                                                                       RE: RRoD, keislij, Jan-06-09 01:17 PM, #17
                                                                            RE: RRoD, RoninEclipse2G, Jan-07-09 05:08 PM, #18

ModeratoreclipzGSTDec-21-08 01:26 AM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#37509, "RE: "Red Ring of Death""
In response to Reply # 0

MS is pretty good about it so I've heard. You call them and they send you a box to ship it in.
I've heard there is also a DIY fix but I haven't looked into it much since mine still works fine.
PS3? Well, it's a blue ray player. That's about the only reason I'd buy one. A few people I know who have one don't even own any games for it...

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

2GNT_95eclipseDec-21-08 01:56 AM
Member since Sep 16th 2008
38 posts,
#37510, "RE: "Red Ring of Death""
In response to Reply # 1

i've had the RROD before. Just tell MS that you have it and they will send out a box to put the core in and you just have to ship it out and wait. they even pay for shipping both ways. It took about 3 weeks to get mine back. They sent me a refurbished one but it looked brand new. when your on the phone with MS tell them that you want a free month of xboxlive for the inconvenience lol.

P.S. dont do the towel trick to try and fix it , it just makes it worse

Originally posted by 740 turbo brick
What the fuck? Your car "whistled" and some idiot thought it was turbocharged? Jesus Christ..

cc8ballaDec-21-08 02:52 AM
Donating 2GNT member
451 posts,
#37511, "RE: "Red Ring of Death""
In response to Reply # 2

Originally posted by 2GNT_95eclipse
i've had the RROD before. Just tell MS that you have it and they will send out a box to put the core in and you just have to ship it out and wait. they even pay for shipping both ways. It took about 3 weeks to get mine back. They sent me a refurbished one but it looked brand new. when your on the phone with MS tell them that you want a free month of xboxlive for the inconvenience lol. P.S. dont do the towel trick to try and fix it , it just makes it worse

Exactly. Towel trick really doesn't work.

RRoD's get sent to MS, and they take care of it.

Jason|1997 Eclipse RS

I contributed to the wiki!

happy p'ple

shuwa29Dec-21-08 07:50 AM
Member since Mar 15th 2002
2301 posts,
#37513, "RE: "Red Ring of Death""
In response to Reply # 3

my first box lasted feb of 2006 and died in may of 2008. i still haven't sent it in yet but i did buy an elite. love the black look. so when i get my old one fixed, i'm going to sell it or give it to a friend. and buy a ps3 too. more toys right? i did

later

2GNT #1865
2006 Yamaha YZF R6 (Blue/Black)
2005 Honda CBR 600 RR (Blue REPSOL)
2003 BMW 325I Premium/Sport Package
2003 Honda CBR 600 RR (sold)
1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS (sold)
Shuwa's links:
http://www.facebook.com/Shuwa29
http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b50/shuwa29/

DarkOne> but we all have that inner ricer that is just dying to come out sometimes...

sonikbewmDec-21-08 11:12 AM
Member since Dec 01st 2001
4011 posts,
#37515, "RE: "Red Ring of Death""
In response to Reply # 4

I've had the RRoD a couple of times now. Longest it's taken to get mine back has been 2 weeks. Also, you don't have to ask them for the free month of xbox live, they give it to you anyway.

Jason
'11 Ford Mustang GT/CS
'11 Ford Mustang V6 6-Speed (SOLD)
'04 Nissan 350z Touring (SOLD)
'95 Turbo Eclipse GS (SOLD and will be missed)
'90 Talon TSi AWD (SOLD)

DanKidDec-21-08 01:37 PM
Member since Oct 29th 2004
480 posts,
#37516, "RE: "Red Ring of Death""
In response to Reply # 5

Definitely get your xbox fixed but if you have some extra dough on the side get a PS3 also. Go to the Sony Style website and sign up for their credit card which gives you $200 off your first purchase on anything over $300. I'm about to do it so I can pick up a 2nd PS3 to hook up in the living room.

boosted60trimrstDec-21-08 01:55 PM
Member since Sep 10th 2005
1183 posts,
#37517, "RE: "Red Ring of Death""
In response to Reply # 6

had my 360 replaced 5 times now and i got the rrod again now .Microsoft keeps relacing it no problem but who wants to ship back there xbox every couple months .I didnt even send it back this time . I just play the ps3 no problems there .maybe this time ill try to fix it myself since there not to good at it .

LED tails : Done for now!
99 eclipse rst
cobalt blue met. paint,star stage 2 upgraded t3/t460trim turbo ceramic coated , polished compressor housing, ,optima yellow top, chrome i/c piping ,front mount ntercooler ,apexi turbo timer . zeitronix wb02 ,faze oil ,boost gauge,egt ,bosch 4x plugs,kyb agx struts, pro kit springs.17''adr venomous rims,Falken azenis ,brembo dilled/slotted rotors ,turbo xs bov ,oil catch can,manual shiftknob,autometer pyrometer egt , vortech sfmu,b&m fuel pressure gauge ,accel 310cc injectors ,gasketmatched and polished intake manifold ,58mm throttle body ,no egr,polished turbonetics wastegate,fuel pump rewire,homade fcd and a lot more .LED reverse lights ,sidemarkers and tails .atx to mtx swap . South bend tz clutch . Tons more
http://imageshack.us>

http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=boosted60trimrst
My contribution to the wiki
http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=crank%20arm%20spindle%20mod%20to%20fit%20power%20panels

DanKidDec-21-08 02:22 PM
480 posts,
#37518, "RE: "Red Ring of Death""
In response to Reply # 7

While we're on the subject of RROD. An article popped up this past week on the internet saying that the some Xbox consoles are also scratching up people's games pretty badly. According to an investigation done, Microsoft was made aware of the possible problem, but decided against installing a rubber stopper that would cost them less than fifty cents a piece. Just mind boggling.

red95eclipseDec-21-08 03:42 PM
Member since Oct 07th 2008
59 posts,
#37520, "RE: "Red Ring of Death""
In response to Reply # 8

Are you referring to the "burnt" rings in the discs? Ive had this happen to me before. If you have your console upright and accidently bump it or something the laser burns a ring in the disc. In my case it was still playable I just couldn't load certain maps on COD4. Its a pretty easy fix if this has happened to anyone. There is a place in most Hollywood videos that have a game store that will buff out the ring for about 2 bucks. Its nice to have them do that rather than buy an entire new game. And just for reference my box just died 3 days ago from RROD, almost made a year. Has anyone had experience with best buy's warranty? I was told if you bring it to them and 50 bucks you can get a new one that day compared to shipping it out.

DanKidDec-21-08 04:19 PM
480 posts,
#37523, "RE: "Red Ring of Death""
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by red95eclipse
Are you referring to the "burnt" rings in the discs? Ive had this happen to me before. If you have your console upright and accidently bump it or something the laser burns a ring in the disc. In my case it was still playable I just couldn't load certain maps on COD4. Its a pretty easy fix if this has happened to anyone. There is a place in most Hollywood videos that have a game store that will buff out the ring for about 2 bucks. Its nice to have them do that rather than buy an entire new game.

According to the articles on-line, it's not burns but actual scratches which make the games unplayable. It hasn't happened to me yet but here is one of the many articles that talks about it. There is actually a lawsuit pending because of it. http://www.dailytech.com/Unsealed+Court+Document+Sheds+Light+on+Xbox+360+Disc+Scratching+Issue/article13699c.htm

barza21Dec-21-08 04:28 PM
Member since Oct 09th 2006
313 posts,
#37524, "RE: "Red Ring of Death""
In response to Reply # 10

Thanks for the info people,I will be sending it call MS on monday and get everything settled then. Three weeks isn't that bad anyways.

I have the money for a ps3, but I just dont feel like buying a console only for the bluray player. The only game I would buy for the ps3 would be Resistance. I will stick with my xbox for now and see what happens down the line.

Thanks for all the info.

I wish I had blown it, believe me, I do...

ModeratortekleinDec-21-08 07:52 PM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#37531, "RE: "Red Ring of Death""
In response to Reply # 10

Originally posted by DanKid
Originally posted by red95eclipse Are you referring to the "burnt" rings in the discs? Ive had this happen to me before. If you have your console upright and accidently bump it or something the laser burns a ring in the disc. In my case it was still playable I just couldn't load certain maps on COD4. Its a pretty easy fix if this has happened to anyone. There is a place in most Hollywood videos that have a game store that will buff out the ring for about 2 bucks. Its nice to have them do that rather than buy an entire new game.
According to the articles on-line, it's not burns but actual scratches which make the games unplayable. It hasn't happened to me yet but here is one of the many articles that talks about it. There is actually a lawsuit pending because of it. http://www.dailytech.com/Unsealed+Court+Document+Sheds+Light+on+Xbox+360+Disc+Scratching+Issue/article13699c.htm

Ive repaired them before when I worked at EB Games

Fallen4ng31Dec-22-08 05:52 AM
Donating 2GNT member
370 posts,
#37537, "RE: "Red Ring of Death""
In response to Reply # 12

Just as another POV, when my 360 RR'd on me, the turn around time was less than a week.

1998 Eclipse RS-T - Totaled 4/23/09 -
1998 Eclipse GST - Stroked 2.3l, HX40 fed: Build in progress
2010 Subaru Outback Limited

I hate hipsters.

96rs-tDec-22-08 02:41 PM
Member since Jun 04th 2003
2203 posts,
#37547, "RE: /"
In response to Reply # 13
Dec-22-08 02:42 PM by 96rs-t

don't fix it nor by a ps3, and just buy WotLK?

I just bought an xbox360, but just for SSF2HD remix.

hope those red rings don't come here.

SoCal DSM
1996 RS-T: Under Construction
1999 GS AE: New daily driver
"USING NO WAY AS A WAY, HAVING NO LIMITATION AS A LIMITATION"--BRUCE LEE

cc8ballaDec-22-08 05:26 PM
Donating 2GNT member
451 posts,
#37551, "RE: /"
In response to Reply # 14

Originally posted by 96rs-t
don't fix it nor by a ps3, and just buy WotLK? I just bought an xbox360, but just for SSF2HD remix. hope those red rings don't come here.

I made the huge mistake of buying WotLK

I hate WoW.

Lol.

Jason|1997 Eclipse RS

I contributed to the wiki!

happy p'ple

Diceman19Dec-23-08 07:34 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#37557, "RE: /"
In response to Reply # 15

there is a sticker that comes on the xbox that says dont touch it when a game is being played. i dont feel bad for people who dont take care of their hardware and then whine to the manufacturer that it broke.

kid: HALP my xbox is breaking my games.
rep: could you better describe the problem?
kid: well i got mad at some idiot on live and kicked my xbox in the middle of a COD4 match.
rep: that wouldnt be covered under warranty sir.
kid: WAT!

i also hacked my xbox so no RRoD yet. i left the case off to help with heat dissipation. they just get too hot and that is the problem. a vent on the top with active cooling on the heatsinks would resolve the problem quickly for everyone.

keislijJan-06-09 01:17 PM
Member since Nov 26th 2008
46 posts,
#38290, "RE: RRoD"
In response to Reply # 16

you can also check what the problem is with it, ha ha just like on our cars. You turn it on til the RRoD flashes, then hold the sync button and hit the eject button. everytime u do it one of the player lights will light up. it gives u a code, you look it up. it helped with mine cause i was out of warranty so had to fix myself =(

RoninEclipse2GJan-07-09 05:08 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#38295, "RE: RRoD"
In response to Reply # 17

I almost had a free Xbox that I would have had to just solder the repair kit into. unfortunately some spiders decided to make a home out of it. nests and webs all over the inside and wires were jacked up

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

Top Team 2GNT Community The Pits v3.1 topic #37508 Previous topic | Next topic