Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top Team 2GNT Community The Pits v3.1 topic #3058
View in linear mode

Subject: "Problems with different cars" Previous topic | Next topic
420a-TnthewerksFeb-11-06 09:50 PM
Member since Jun 11th 2004
2267 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3058, "Problems with different cars"
Feb-11-06 09:53 PM by 420a-Tnthewerks

First of all, 92 Explorer, when turned on, everything, lights, radio, work. Try to start, just clicks, thinking starter.

More important, mid 90's Altima, automatic, just got out of the shop for the 3rd time for this. It runs fine for awhile, then when you shut it off, then go to drive it again and it starts studdering/hesitating really bad. It also won't go above 2200 rpms. It'll run alright if you accelerate real slow to about 1500 rpms, past that it starts bucking. Anything more than slow acceleration it'll buck up to 2000 rpms and won't go past that. If you go WOT it'll buck all the way up to 2200 rpms and jump around but won't go past that.

I searched for this on here and Altima forums, but didn't find anything quite like this. I'm coming up with possible distributer(although that may have been replaced), TPS, or possibly a severly clogged exhaust. I know the shop retimed it, so it may have been running rich for a long time causing the clog. There are no CEL's. I haven't looked at the car yet, but some suggestions or if anybody else has had this problem would be very helpful.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

totaleclipse_05Feb-12-06 05:08 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1486 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3063, "RE: Problems with different cars"
In response to Reply # 0

Check the battery voltage on that Explorer. It should read at least 12v, if it is any lower, it won't have enough juice to work the starter and you get the clicky noise. It doesn't take much power to run lights, radio, etc. so that is why those probably still work.

Mike D
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by DR1665
You're welcome to all the beer you can drink, but you have to go get it yourself. Don't get pissy when we point to the fridge and tell you to get it yourself.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

420a-TnthewerksFeb-12-06 07:07 AM
2267 posts,
#3067, "RE: Problems with different cars"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by totaleclipse_05
Check the battery voltage on that Explorer. It should read at least 12v, if it is any lower, it won't have enough juice to work the starter and you get the clicky noise. It doesn't take much power to run lights, radio, etc. so that is why those probably still work.

I forgot to mention I tried jumping it, still just clicked.

madhatter210Feb-12-06 07:15 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2720 posts,
#3068, "RE: Problems with different cars"
In response to Reply # 2
Feb-12-06 07:21 AM by madhatter210

bad starter solenoid on the explorer...its a very common problem.At the very least check the connections to it...for some reason at the factory who ever was crimping starter connections for them at the time sucked very badly ....take the starter in to have it tested or test it yourself.

on the altima I stole this answer from some atlima tech forums the symtoms were exactly what you were describing.
" If no codes are present then suspect a failed or failing fuel pressure regulator."

http://www.murderpimp.com

2gnt T-shirts&swag
http://www.cafepress.com/mads

420a-TnthewerksFeb-12-06 09:01 AM
2267 posts,
#3073, "RE: Problems with different cars"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by madhatter210
bad starter solenoid on the explorer...its a very common problem.At the very least check the connections to it...for some reason at the factory who ever was crimping starter connections for them at the time sucked very badly ....take the starter in to have it tested or test it yourself. on the altima I stole this answer from some atlima tech forums the symtoms were exactly what you were describing. " If no codes are present then suspect a failed or failing fuel pressure regulator."

Oh yeah, that was another possibilty I found while searching yesterday, but didn't have that direct of an answer, do you happen to have a link to that? Thanks man.

Top Team 2GNT Community The Pits v3.1 topic #3058 Previous topic | Next topic