Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 4 Users in Chat
Top Team 2GNT Community The Pits v3.1 topic #16092
View in linear mode

Subject: "HOLY!! Have you guys seen this? Evo 8 engine in 2gnt's" Previous topic | Next topic
420a-TnthewerksSep-28-06 12:37 PM
Member since Jun 11th 2004
2267 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#16092, "HOLY!! Have you guys seen this? Evo 8 engine in 2gnt's"
Sep-28-06 12:40 PM by 420a-Tnthewerks

http://us.a2.yahoofs.com/users/43cc46fez54dba1dc/eca2scd/__sr_/eb18scd.jpg?phIZFHFBQcUWX7HK
http://us.a2.yahoofs.com/users/43cc46fez54dba1dc/eca2scd/__sr_/402escd.jpg?phIZFHFBf21iE7xs
http://us.a2.yahoofs.com/users/43cc46fez54dba1dc/eca2scd/__sr_/b601scd.jpg?phIZFHFBRvMiLVeP
http://us.a2.yahoofs.com/users/43cc46fez54dba1dc/eca2scd/__sr_/2a72scd.jpg?phIZFHFBWVyIKPkk

Just wondering..

Edit- Didn't know where to put this, seemed a little too complicated for the pits lol.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: HOLY!! Have you guys seen this? Evo 8 engine in 2gnt's, TeamDR1665, Sep-28-06 12:58 PM, #1
RE: HOLY!! Have you guys seen this? Evo 8 engine in 2gnt's, BlackMagic, Sep-28-06 02:46 PM, #2
      Evo 8 engine in 2gnt's, 420a-Tnthewerks, Sep-28-06 05:22 PM, #3
           RE: Evo 8 engine in 2gnt's, edxmon, Sep-28-06 05:48 PM, #4
                RE: Evo 8 engine in 2gnt's, turbo8u, Sep-28-06 08:08 PM, #5
                     RE: Evo 8 engine in 2gnt's, TeamDR1665, Sep-29-06 05:57 AM, #6
                          RE: Evo 8 engine in 2gnt's, cc8balla, Sep-29-06 09:09 AM, #7
                               RE: Evo 8 engine in 2gnt's, TeamDR1665, Sep-29-06 09:40 AM, #8
                                    RE: Evo 8 engine in 2gnt's, totaleklipse97, Sep-29-06 11:47 AM, #9
                                         RE: Evo 8 engine in 2gnt's, clipse_2005, Sep-29-06 12:16 PM, #10
                                         RE: Evo 8 engine in 2gnt's, totaleklipse97, Sep-29-06 03:34 PM, #13
                                         RE: Evo 8 engine in 2gnt's, destruckeclipse, Oct-03-06 03:17 PM, #21
                                         RE: Evo 8 engine in 2gnt's, cc8balla, Sep-29-06 12:20 PM, #11
                                              RE: Evo 8 engine in 2gnt's, Moderator992gnt, Sep-29-06 12:58 PM, #12
                                                   RE: Evo 8 engine in 2gnt's, WIDECLIPSE, Sep-30-06 02:57 AM, #14
                                                        RE: Evo 8 engine in 2gnt's, BumpinTalon, Sep-30-06 08:04 PM, #15
                                                             RE: Evo 8 engine in 2gnt's, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Sep-30-06 09:27 PM, #16
                                                                  RE: Evo 8 engine in 2gnt's, TeamDR1665, Oct-01-06 08:51 AM, #17
                                                                       RE: Evo 8 engine in 2gnt's, 420a-Tnthewerks, Oct-02-06 06:47 PM, #18
                                                                            RE: Evo 8 engine in 2gnt's, BumpinTalon, Oct-03-06 04:20 AM, #19
                                                                                 RE: Evo 8 engine in 2gnt's, EvMan2345, Oct-03-06 07:51 AM, #20
                                                                                      RE: Evo 8 engine in 2gnt's, talonguy2005, Oct-04-06 04:39 PM, #22
                                                                                           RE: Evo 8 engine in 2gnt's, KaptainMyke, Oct-06-06 06:03 AM, #23
                                                                                                RE: Evo 8 engine in 2gnt's, shazow1969, Oct-06-06 03:21 PM, #24
                                                                                                     RE: Evo 8 engine in 2gnt's, Diceman19, Oct-07-06 03:36 AM, #25
                                                                                                          RE: Evo 8 engine in 2gnt's, kelvinb1, Oct-07-06 05:27 AM, #26
                                                                                                          RE: Evo 8 engine in 2gnt's, shazow1969, Oct-09-06 09:25 AM, #27

TeamDR1665Sep-28-06 12:58 PM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#16093, "RE: HOLY!! Have you guys seen this? Evo 8 engine in 2gnt's"
In response to Reply # 0
Sep-28-06 01:05 PM by DR1665

Yep.

Notice the car is somewhere in Asia. I know I saw these pictures over the summer in a heated debate on Tuners. The thing to remember is that no one with any degree of intelligence has ever said it's impossible, merely foolish to consider. Just because someone else has done it, doesn't mean that everyone who ever said it was a stupid idea was wrong or full of shit. The fact still remains that, if you want to swap an engine, any engine, into your 2GNT, you need to have the fabrication skills, time, and money to see the project through to the end.

There is no step by step process to do this. It is a project that 99% of the DSM community hasn't done and isn't interested in pursuing, so anyone who would want to consider it would need to do more than just post "How do I do this?" I think that's the biggest reason why so many of these threads get locked - people who have no idea what they're talking about and have no desire to do something for themselves just want the easy answer handed to them on a platter. Either that, or they've got some chip on their shoulder and want to argue about it.

There is more than enough information on the web available to anyone who would want to have a go at this and, assuming someone decided to attempt it beyond just asking about it, there is enough expertise around to tackle nearly all the issues one would run into in the process. People just aren't interested in going beyond, "Tell me how to do this," or "What parts do I need?"

EDIT:
Personally, I'd like to see someone actually come to the forum in the middle of this project and ask specific questions pertaining to individual details with an open mind to hearing what others had to say. If someone posted that they were in the middle of this project and needed some insight on how to fit a square peg in a round hole in a mature manner and didn't get all butt hurt if we couldn't help them figure out an easy solution, I'd do my best to be sure they had a clean thread with no bullshit flamers.

That's my take on it, anyway. I should lock this, but I dunno. Don't want to be a complete dick this afternoon.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

BlackMagicSep-28-06 02:46 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1243 posts,
#16094, "RE: HOLY!! Have you guys seen this? Evo 8 engine in 2gnt's"
In response to Reply # 1

Links don't work for me

http://www.dsmregistry.com/detail.php?carid=1133
*form follows function*

420a-TnthewerksSep-28-06 05:22 PM
2267 posts,
#16095, "Evo 8 engine in 2gnt's"
In response to Reply # 2
Sep-28-06 05:32 PM by 420a-Tnthewerks

I don't see why this is any different than the "Mid-Engine, RWD eclipse" thread.. Just a place to discuss this topic even though it's not highly feasible.

The pictures aren't working on this computer either.. I'll try to find the album link I found the first time..

Edit- http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/minghunghsieh2/album?.dir=eca2scd 4 pictures of the pink and blue cars. Also has Evo 8 brakes on a 2gnt.

edxmonSep-28-06 05:48 PM
Member since Jul 26th 2005
1006 posts,
#16096, "RE: Evo 8 engine in 2gnt's"
In response to Reply # 3

damn! those are nice! and that yellow wide body resembles the 4g in some ways.

Originally posted by turbo8u
his girl kept looking out and down my car like uh ok we're in this 100 whatever thousand dollar car and that little whatever it is just raped us.... turbo screamed past the window like a vortex of ownage :-P robbing his engine of all the air around, and thats how i like it

Originally posted by ez
I came across a huge sack of walnuts in my grandmas garage - I better make use of them.

I contributed to the wiki! My Page: edxmon

turbo8uSep-28-06 08:08 PM
Member since Jun 15th 2003
10552 posts,
#16097, "RE: Evo 8 engine in 2gnt's"
In response to Reply # 4

I really dont see what the big deal is. You can build a rock crawler 2gnt if you really want.

the fact is anything is done, its just a hunk of bolts and metal...it can be moved around, modified cut hacked welded whatever.

also, the evo engine is nothing special anyway.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

96 Black ESi
91 Red TSI AWD (RIP)
02 WRX

"turnin wrenches for nine hours in the pouring rain, just to get the beast up and running again"

Aerospace Certified TIG welder for Precision Castparts in Portland, OR.

JoshSpair.com

TeamDR1665Sep-29-06 05:57 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#16098, "RE: Evo 8 engine in 2gnt's"
In response to Reply # 5
Sep-29-06 05:58 AM by DR1665

Originally posted by turbo8u
I really dont see what the big deal is.

Haha. As you know, Josh, anything is possible, but you have to figure it out on your own if you want to do this one. That's where we all run into problems. Typically, the people who pose the question aren't interested in figuring it for themselves as much as they are having someone just tell them how to do it. As I see it, there's more than enough information available to get this project started, but most people don't bother to search for it.

EDIT:
I really feel like I should lock this one, since it's not really technical or advanced, but I dunno...

cc8ballaSep-29-06 09:09 AM
Donating 2GNT member
451 posts,
#16099, "RE: Evo 8 engine in 2gnt's"
In response to Reply # 6

I remember those pics on Tuners. It can be done, though foolish as it may be.

I say move it to the pits.

Jason|1997 Eclipse RS

I contributed to the wiki!

happy p'ple

TeamDR1665Sep-29-06 09:40 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#16100, "RE: Evo 8 engine in 2gnt's"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by cc8balla
I remember those pics on Tuners. It can be done, though foolish as it may be. I say move it to the pits.

GOOD CALL, JASON!

It's not advanced. It's no longer technical. Away with it! To the whores it goes! Haha.

totaleklipse97Sep-29-06 11:47 AM
Member since May 14th 2003
3589 posts,
#16101, "RE: Evo 8 engine in 2gnt's"
In response to Reply # 8

I just glimpsed the pictures but i don't see where their is proof that the car started as a 2gnt. For all intense purposes the car could have started as a regular 4g63 equipped 2g. (If there is proof I overlooked please let me know I merely grazed the pictures.) If anything I see the rear brake upgrade as more fascinating than the engine swap.

-----------------------------------

My DSM registry.......Powered By Exile Racing
VW= The joy of driving
DSM= The frustration of fixing

The wonders of 2gnt chat:

‹totaleklipse97› so what benefits do i get from being ur e-boyfriend
‹Jen› uh... the honor?
‹totaleklipse97› somehow i guess i got that title now
‹Jen› somehow.....

clipse_2005Sep-29-06 12:16 PM
Member since Sep 15th 2005
269 posts,
#16103, "RE: Evo 8 engine in 2gnt's"
In response to Reply # 9

Well I've never actually looked hard under the hood at a 4g63, but aren't the 420a bay's fuse boxes in different locations? On the pink one you can see that the fuse box is in our location, unless they decided to randomly relocate it in the exact same position as the 420a fuse box.

totaleklipse97Sep-29-06 03:34 PM
Member since May 14th 2003
3589 posts,
#16108, "RE: Evo 8 engine in 2gnt's"
In response to Reply # 10

Originally posted by clipse_2005
Well I've never actually looked hard under the hood at a 4g63, but aren't the 420a bay's fuse boxes in different locations? On the pink one you can see that the fuse box is in our location, unless they decided to randomly relocate it in the exact same position as the 420a fuse box.

actually it looks like the fuse box is where our ECU usually is.. and the air filter element is where the fuse box would be on a 2gnt. truthfully i don't think that was a 2gnt. I think someone wasted a shit ton of time and energy swapping a evo 4g63 into a dsm 4g63 just for the hell of it.

-----------------------------------

My DSM registry.......Powered By Exile Racing
VW= The joy of driving
DSM= The frustration of fixing

The wonders of 2gnt chat:

‹totaleklipse97› so what benefits do i get from being ur e-boyfriend
‹Jen› uh... the honor?
‹totaleklipse97› somehow i guess i got that title now
‹Jen› somehow.....

destruckeclipseOct-03-06 03:17 PM
Member since Apr 26th 2004
576 posts,
#16165, "RE: Evo 8 engine in 2gnt's"
In response to Reply # 10
Oct-03-06 03:18 PM by destruckeclipse

I wouldn't do it, but cool someone tried.

'95 GSX - Big16G ~ Leaks, but atleast it runs.

cc8ballaSep-29-06 12:20 PM
Donating 2GNT member
451 posts,
#16104, "RE: Evo 8 engine in 2gnt's"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by totaleklipse97
I just glimpsed the pictures but i don't see where their is proof that the car started as a 2gnt. For all intense purposes the car could have started as a regular 4g63 equipped 2g. (If there is proof I overlooked please let me know I merely grazed the pictures.) If anything I see the rear brake upgrade as more fascinating than the engine swap.

It would be even more pointless to swap an EVO 4g63 into a 2g that already has a 4g63. Remember, the EVO motors are oriented the same way as the 420a, but opposite the 2g 4g63.

Jason|1997 Eclipse RS

I contributed to the wiki!

happy p'ple

Moderator992gntSep-29-06 12:58 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2245 posts,
#16106, "RE: Evo 8 engine in 2gnt's"
In response to Reply # 11

I have a question about the front brake swap - the Evo rotors and calipers do NOT fit under ANY 16" wheels. Those wheels look like the 16" OZ wheels that came on the anniversary cars. So are they 17" wheels (I don't think the 17" model of that wheel fits over the caliper either)or are they using a smaller rotor? Something doesn't add up.

Greg

'19 Genesis G70 3.3t AWD
'88 Chrysler Conquest TSI

WIDECLIPSESep-30-06 02:57 AM
Member since Apr 14th 2004
1528 posts,
#16116, "RE: Evo 8 engine in 2gnt's"
In response to Reply # 12

Something else to think about that I just noticed is didn't the dsm's over seas come with the n/a 4g63? So how would they even gotten a car with the 420a in it in the first place? I could understand one of them maybe getting their hands on a 420a eclipse, but two in the same city.....

-Roman

BumpinTalonSep-30-06 08:04 PM
Member since Mar 23rd 2004
2381 posts,
#16129, "RE: Evo 8 engine in 2gnt's"
In response to Reply # 14

the Eclipse was not available at all in japan, and every eclipse over there has been imported from somewhere else. usually the states. so they got the same cars we did with only small changes.

1995 Eagle Talon ESi

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonSep-30-06 09:27 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#16130, "RE: Evo 8 engine in 2gnt's"
In response to Reply # 15

i like how some people say this is not feasable....Okay, do you think the pictures are photochopped? I think the word is Practical.

Since 40 percent of EVO owners cant drive and smash thier cars, it becomes quite easy to aquire an evo from the auction for less than 10k. A guy at work and myself watch the EVO's go up for sale on private license auctions and bid on them as part out cars. There are SOOO many, its kinda sad.

for those willing to do the work and welding themselves, its well worth it. I have over 10k in my car and I still dont have the motor support the evo motor has. Its all in the eyes of the beholder.

Terry

TeamDR1665Oct-01-06 08:51 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#16138, "RE: Evo 8 engine in 2gnt's"
In response to Reply # 16

Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
i like how some people say this is not feasable....Okay, do you think the pictures are photochopped?

dammit. My bad. I was in this class last year where the teacher went on and on about how "You need to do a feasability analysis to see if the company can afford to do the project." I kept hearing feasability tied to cost so many times. I must have slipped.

Practical is what I'm trying to say. It IS possible, but the COST to do so, IMO, is not worth the benefits in the end, ASSUMING, you are capable of pulling it off.

Damn. Not like me to misuse a word like that...

420a-TnthewerksOct-02-06 06:47 PM
2267 posts,
#16151, "RE: Evo 8 engine in 2gnt's"
In response to Reply # 17

Originally posted by DR1665
It IS possible, but the COST to do so, IMO, is not worth the benefits in the end, ASSUMING, you are capable of pulling it off.

I wonder how many people say that about building a 420a?

When I was building my 420a my total was reaching past $6-7k. And seeing that one thread where a bunch of people were well past $10k.. What do Evo engines/tranny's go for? I'm not saying this a revolutionary turn for the 2gnt or anything, and I would bet my money no one on here will do it, but when someone ask if they can put a 4g63 in a 2gnt.. well here is another, more practical(yeah still not very practical, but more). I just thought it was pretty cool since I've never seen it, nor even heard about it.. I also know you 420a-way or no-way guys are a tough crowd lol.

BumpinTalonOct-03-06 04:20 AM
Member since Mar 23rd 2004
2381 posts,
#16152, "RE: Evo 8 engine in 2gnt's"
In response to Reply # 18

I don't get the transmission thing. So that 2gnt has an Evo 8 engine and the Evo AWD system? Or did he make it FWD somehow?

1995 Eagle Talon ESi

EvMan2345Oct-03-06 07:51 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1888 posts,
#16153, "RE: Evo 8 engine in 2gnt's"
In response to Reply # 19

am I the only one that cant see the pictures?

Evan B
02 Explorer
97 GS- sold
90 GSX-sold
Stamford CT
EvMan2345@aol.com

talonguy2005Oct-04-06 04:39 PM
Member since May 16th 2004
1473 posts,
#16210, "RE: Evo 8 engine in 2gnt's"
In response to Reply # 20

i cant see them either

1992 Plymouth Laser
-Bone stock for now.

KaptainMykeOct-06-06 06:03 AM
Donating 2GNT member
10179 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#16248, "RE: Evo 8 engine in 2gnt's"
In response to Reply # 22

I so totally can not see, either.

https://www.kaptainmyke.com

shazow1969Oct-06-06 03:21 PM
Member since Sep 22nd 2005
466 posts,
#16260, "RE: Evo 8 engine in 2gnt's"
In response to Reply # 23
Oct-06-06 03:30 PM by shazow1969

Click on the link in the 4th post and it will take you there.

On a side note I think it is quite feasable to do this for under 12k. The big thing is you need a FWD tranny. Is the regular Lancer's bell housing the same as the EVO???? If it is then it would be a pretty straight foward swap (If not it could get interesting and end up AWD in the end). The timing side mount would pretty much drop into the stock 420A mount location. fabbing the tranny side mount is pretty easy (with the right tools). then slightly relocating the front and rear mounts into alignment should be pretty simple. Wiring I could figure out in a couple hours with the two harnesses together in the car. And then there are just a few odds and ends type things. EVO radiator aand intercooler set up. what about half shafts well if you have a drivetrane place near by worth half a damn they can have your shafts modified (if necessary) in just a few hours (or days depending on how busy they are. Just some things to ponder.

-Kevin

Hey I might just under take this project just to say "Hey I did It and it wasn't that bad"...

01 Blazer LS 4.3/5spd dropped and clean DD
88 Camaro RS 361 CID with a 6spd and a bar 10 second street car on motor.

Diceman19Oct-07-06 03:36 AM
Donating 2GNT member
4629 posts,
#16268, "RE: Evo 8 engine in 2gnt's"
In response to Reply # 24

wiring would be the worst, if you were using the car wiring, you would have to splice every single connection to run a different ecu, if you run your own wiring, PITA.

i wouldnt do it, unless someone was paying me to do it. even then, nobody would pay me to do since i cant weld.

kelvinb1Oct-07-06 05:27 AM
Member since Apr 06th 2004
1543 posts,
#16272, "RE: Evo 8 engine in 2gnt's"
In response to Reply # 25

ok so the engine is in there, what about the drivetrain?

also these pictures look as if they were taken in taiwan.

shazow1969Oct-09-06 09:25 AM
Member since Sep 22nd 2005
466 posts,
#16321, "RE: Evo 8 engine in 2gnt's"
In response to Reply # 25

Originally posted by Diceman19
wiring would be the worst, if you were using the car wiring, you would have to splice every single connection to run a different ecu, if you run your own wiring, PITA. i wouldnt do it, unless someone was paying me to do it. even then, nobody would pay me to do since i cant weld.

I seriously do not understand why everyone is so intimidated by wiring... Most ECU's are very simple. An LS1 ECU for instance, seems very difficult to figure out, but all you have to do is supply 12v constant 12v switched and ground and it will run, 7 wires to be precise. Making the instruments operate properly is the difficult thing. But we are talking about EVO motors you say. They aren't that much different. As long as you get a complete harness and ECU with the engine you buy you are good to go. Between the stock vehicle harness and the harness on the engine and an understanding of how to read wiring schematics and diagrams you shouldn't have any problem doing said task... On the other hand this IS NOT something I would recommend for a novice tuner or unskilled/unprepared mechanic.

As I said in my last post I will undertake this task at some point in the near future. I just need a doaner car to molest for the drivetrane and various parts.

-Kevin

01 Blazer LS 4.3/5spd dropped and clean DD
88 Camaro RS 361 CID with a 6spd and a bar 10 second street car on motor.

Top Team 2GNT Community The Pits v3.1 topic #16092 Previous topic | Next topic