Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top Team 2GNT Community The Pits v3.1 topic #41700
View in linear mode

Subject: "xbox failure...AGAIN" Previous topic | Next topic
420agreenvilleSCSep-22-09 12:11 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#41700, "xbox failure...AGAIN"
Sep-22-09 12:14 AM by 420agreenvilleSC

THE FAILURE RATE OF THESE THINGS SUCK

bought my xbox when it came out. august 2005. Got red rings about 2 1/4 yrs after purchase. was repaired under warranty.

now, red rings AGAIN. out of warranty (expired on 7/08). all this when I JUST GOT BACK from picking up halo3 ODST. absolute PERFECT fucking timing. I'm waiting to realize the lesson god is trying to teach me...

$100 to repair AGAIN and have an additional year warranty. haven't decided what to do

in conclusion....

THIS FUCKING SUCKS!

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: xbox failure...AGAIN, freelancefool, Sep-22-09 04:47 AM, #1
RE: xbox failure...AGAIN, DanKid, Sep-22-09 05:56 AM, #2
      RE: xbox failure...AGAIN, DirtMegirt, Sep-22-09 06:30 AM, #3
RE: xbox failure...AGAIN, adamzty, Sep-22-09 06:56 AM, #4
RE: xbox failure...AGAIN, freelancefool, Sep-22-09 07:41 AM, #5
RE: xbox failure...AGAIN, Fallen4ng31, Sep-22-09 07:50 AM, #6
RE: xbox failure...AGAIN, AdministratorCODE4, Sep-22-09 07:53 AM, #7
      RE: xbox failure...AGAIN, freelancefool, Sep-22-09 08:13 AM, #8
           RE: xbox failure...AGAIN, 420agreenvilleSC, Sep-22-09 11:38 AM, #9
                RE: xbox failure...AGAIN, Fallen4ng31, Sep-22-09 01:14 PM, #10
                     RE: xbox failure...AGAIN, Flipboi89, Sep-22-09 02:20 PM, #11
                          RE: xbox failure...AGAIN, Fallen4ng31, Sep-22-09 03:19 PM, #12
                               RE: xbox failure...AGAIN, 420agreenvilleSC, Sep-22-09 05:10 PM, #13
                                    RE: xbox failure...AGAIN, Fallen4ng31, Sep-22-09 08:32 PM, #14
                                         RE: xbox failure...AGAIN, Malenko, Sep-23-09 09:39 AM, #15
                                              RE: xbox failure...AGAIN, 420agreenvilleSC, Sep-23-09 10:16 AM, #16
RE: xbox failure...AGAIN, RoninEclipse2G, Sep-23-09 12:32 PM, #17
      RE: xbox failure...AGAIN, whtclipse98, Sep-24-09 05:31 PM, #18
      RE: xbox failure...AGAIN, barza21, Sep-24-09 05:33 PM, #19
           RE: xbox failure...AGAIN, 420agreenvilleSC, Sep-24-09 09:36 PM, #20
                RE: xbox failure...AGAIN, whtclipse98, Sep-24-09 10:02 PM, #21
                     RE: xbox failure...AGAIN, dalesmitsu, Sep-24-09 11:44 PM, #22
                          RE: xbox failure...AGAIN, Moderatorxcasbonx, Sep-25-09 09:48 AM, #23
                               RE: xbox failure...AGAIN, Moderatorteklein, Sep-25-09 10:21 AM, #24
                                    RE: xbox failure...AGAIN, whtclipse98, Sep-25-09 11:11 AM, #25
                                         RE: xbox failure...AGAIN, 420agreenvilleSC, Sep-25-09 11:23 AM, #26
                                              RE: xbox failure...AGAIN, ez, Sep-28-09 09:43 PM, #27
                                                   RE: xbox failure...AGAIN, TeamDR1665, Sep-29-09 12:19 AM, #28
                                                        RE: xbox failure...AGAIN, 420agreenvilleSC, Sep-29-09 10:24 AM, #29
                                                             RE: xbox failure...AGAIN, dalesmitsu, Sep-29-09 03:27 PM, #30
                                                                  RE: xbox failure...AGAIN, Fallen4ng31, Sep-30-09 04:49 AM, #31
                                                                       RE: xbox failure...AGAIN, 420agreenvilleSC, Sep-30-09 10:02 AM, #32
                                                                            RE: xbox failure...AGAIN, RoninEclipse2G, Sep-30-09 12:52 PM, #33
                                                                            RE: xbox failure...AGAIN, Malenko, Oct-01-09 02:10 PM, #34
                                                                                 RE: xbox failure...AGAIN, 420agreenvilleSC, Oct-01-09 02:37 PM, #35

freelancefoolSep-22-09 04:47 AM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#41701, "RE: xbox failure...AGAIN"
In response to Reply # 0

In conclusion, buy a PS3.

That sucks Mikey. Anything you can try to see if the RRoD goes away?

My Blog

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

DanKidSep-22-09 05:56 AM
Member since Oct 29th 2004
480 posts,
#41703, "RE: xbox failure...AGAIN"
In response to Reply # 1

Buy yourself one of the new arcade consoles with the new chip. They run quieter, use less energy, and are not failing like the older ones used to. You can get an arcade console from dell using one of their coupons for $175 if you keep an eye out. Just my .02 cents

DirtMegirtSep-22-09 06:30 AM
Old School 2GNTer
205 posts,
#41704, "RE: xbox failure...AGAIN"
In response to Reply # 2

Damn, I hear ya Mike. I bought the Elite console back in January of '08 only to have the RRoD take that system away from me TWO MONTHS LATER! So Microsoft swapped out that one with a new one that just a week ago crapped out on me again with the E 74 error. I really don't know how they can get away with not admitting that there is a widespread issue here. All I know, is that if this thing wasn't under warranty, I wouldn't get it fixed. Good luck with your decision.

DirtMegirt
Wiki Contributor

adamztySep-22-09 06:56 AM
Donating 2GNT member
219 posts,
#41705, "RE: xbox failure...AGAIN"
In response to Reply # 0
Sep-22-09 06:57 AM by adamzty

Originally posted by 420agreenvilleSC
I'm waiting to realize the lesson god is trying to teach me...

Never, EVER buy Microsoft products again?

freelancefoolSep-22-09 07:41 AM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#41706, "RE: xbox failure...AGAIN"
In response to Reply # 4

Don't buy products that are Hencho en Mexico.

My Blog

Fallen4ng31Sep-22-09 07:50 AM
Donating 2GNT member
370 posts,
#41707, "RE: xbox failure...AGAIN"
In response to Reply # 5
Sep-22-09 07:51 AM by Fallen4ng31

RRoD's are easy to fix.
On 1.0-1.3 consoles, 99 times out of 100 all that is required is a good cleaning of the CPU/GPU, and replacing the heatsink mounting hardware. $8/$10 in parts.

Mikey, if you want to send your console to me, I can fix it for a hell of a lot less than Microshaft.

The lesson you should have learned here is: Halo is for fags and it will kill your console; because Jesus hates Halo...and fags that play Halo.

Also, the PS3 is the suck. Buy mine, it's just a giant paperweight, anyway.

1998 Eclipse RS-T - Totaled 4/23/09 -
1998 Eclipse GST - Stroked 2.3l, HX40 fed: Build in progress
2010 Subaru Outback Limited

I hate hipsters.

AdministratorCODE4Sep-22-09 07:53 AM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#41708, "RE: xbox failure...AGAIN"
In response to Reply # 5

Our cylinder heads are Hecho en Mexico...

---

2012 2500HD LML

freelancefoolSep-22-09 08:13 AM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
#41710, "RE: xbox failure...AGAIN"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by CODE4
Our cylinder heads are Hecho en Mexico...

I'm rebuilding mine for the second time now. Not the heads fault though.

Also, I don't care for Halo. Gameplay is too slow. Don't like the xbox either. My PS3 is used mostly for BluRay movies though...

My Blog

420agreenvilleSCSep-22-09 11:38 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#41711, "RE: xbox failure...AGAIN"
In response to Reply # 8
Sep-22-09 11:39 AM by 420agreenvilleSC

1. either i look for a cheap console replacement, buy it new, and get a 3yr warranty for RROD & 1yr for anything. $175 or higher.

OR

2. pay for repair and get one year warranty on the repair. $100.

what should i do

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

Fallen4ng31Sep-22-09 01:14 PM
Donating 2GNT member
370 posts,
#41715, "RE: xbox failure...AGAIN"
In response to Reply # 9

what should i do

Learn to read. I offered to fix it for you at a fraction of the cost you'd pay Microsoft.

I hate hipsters.

Flipboi89Sep-22-09 02:20 PM
Member since Oct 06th 2007
392 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#41717, "RE: xbox failure...AGAIN"
In response to Reply # 10

I can get it fixed for 45. lol. Convert to sony.

Car Status: P0140 o2 circuit number bank 1 sensor 2 Cel. Ill fix it tomorow lol.

Estimated mileage on engine: 15,xxx

Fallen4ng31Sep-22-09 03:19 PM
Donating 2GNT member
370 posts,
#41719, "RE: xbox failure...AGAIN"
In response to Reply # 11
Sep-22-09 03:19 PM by Fallen4ng31

Hell, I'll fix it AND mod it for universal car parts.

I hate hipsters.

420agreenvilleSCSep-22-09 05:10 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#41720, "RE: xbox failure...AGAIN"
In response to Reply # 12

sorry paul. a yr warranty from you would be questionable. I sent it to microsoft today. Not to offend you, but, i'd rather spend 100 w/ a yr warranty than 50 w/out.

Fallen4ng31Sep-22-09 08:32 PM
Donating 2GNT member
370 posts,
#41723, "RE: xbox failure...AGAIN"
In response to Reply # 13

I'm not offended, I never offered you a warranty. It's your money.

I hate hipsters.

MalenkoSep-23-09 09:39 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3534 posts,
#41724, "RE: xbox failure...AGAIN"
In response to Reply # 14

buy a red ring kit for $10 and fix it yourself?

420agreenvilleSCSep-23-09 10:16 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#41725, "RE: xbox failure...AGAIN"
In response to Reply # 15

i shouldnt've sent mine off just yet because, you know what?

ODST SUCKS

RoninEclipse2GSep-23-09 12:32 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#41727, "RE: xbox failure...AGAIN"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by adamzty
Originally posted by 420agreenvilleSC I'm waiting to realize the lesson god is trying to teach me...
Never, EVER buy Microsoft products again?

I've had a Microsoft Zune for almost 4 years now and it still works flawlessly. Hell, it's outlasted all the iPods that my friends bought around the same time.

Xboxes are just junk though. I've pulled apart RROD boxes before just for fun and the build quality was astonishing. Tiny ass wires that go to and from the power source (one of the things that goes wrong) sloppy ass soldering with super cheap solder. It's surprising that more of them don't fail

Of course the only playstations that I ever broke were because I physically destroyed them (usually dropping them, often in spectacular fashion) My 7 year old PS2 still works fine, the only thing I've destroyed on that was several controllers because they straight up wore out.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

whtclipse98Sep-24-09 05:31 PM
Member since Mar 18th 2009
137 posts,
#41751, "RE: xbox failure...AGAIN"
In response to Reply # 17

I have had the red ring twice on mine and microsoft fixed it for free both times. There is a place that will fix your xbox with new stuff so it won't happen again.

http://secure.llamma.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=73&osCsid=d5fa5c5ed0460d765fddecf9e5210cc0

and another one for some cool hardware

http://www.xcm.cc/360.htm

Also the PS3 has more problems then the 360. It is no longer backwards compatible and when the fan goes out a year later, Sony wants between 100-200 to fix it.

barza21Sep-24-09 05:33 PM
Member since Oct 09th 2006
313 posts,
#41752, "RE: xbox failure...AGAIN"
In response to Reply # 17

I feel your pain Mikey, mine went out just before christmas break last year! sucked. got it fixed under warranty though...

Dont convert to sony! lol

You know what that means right...? you have to play more call of duty 4!

I wish I had blown it, believe me, I do...

420agreenvilleSCSep-24-09 09:36 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#41757, "RE: xbox failure...AGAIN"
In response to Reply # 19

both microsoft & sony need to get their act together w/ the gaming industry. personal opinion. too many product failures. tells you a lil something about their business decisions/practices.

whtclipse98Sep-24-09 10:02 PM
137 posts,
#41758, "RE: xbox failure...AGAIN"
In response to Reply # 20

It's so they can get more money outta ya so that you'll decide to upgrade to one of their newer systems.

cod4 is getting old. its all about cod modern warfare 2 now. that game is freakin sick!!!

dalesmitsuSep-24-09 11:44 PM
Member since May 13th 2006
986 posts,
#41759, "RE: xbox failure...AGAIN"
In response to Reply # 21

I have to ask do guys have the Intercooler and it still caused the red ring.

ModeratorxcasbonxSep-25-09 09:48 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2874 posts,
#41763, "RE: xbox failure...AGAIN"
In response to Reply # 22

Originally posted by dalesmitsu
I have to ask do guys have the Intercooler and it still caused the red ring.

Not worth it and not worth the risk using third party products on the system. The stock cooling system works fine.

Bottom line, if you get the RROD...and you call Microsoft and bitch them out enough they'll fix it for free...and that process goes for just about any company you buy a product from. You gotta know how to complain and tell them you're completely unsatisfied.

I contributed to the Wiki.

ModeratortekleinSep-25-09 10:21 AM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#41764, "RE: xbox failure...AGAIN"
In response to Reply # 23

Originally posted by xcasbonx
Originally posted by dalesmitsu I have to ask do guys have the Intercooler and it still caused the red ring.
Not worth it and not worth the risk using third party products on the system. The stock cooling system works fine. Bottom line, if you get the RROD...and you call Microsoft and bitch them out enough they'll fix it for free...and that process goes for just about any company you buy a product from. You gotta know how to complain and tell them you're completely unsatisfied.

I was a manager at EB Games for a while when I was 18. Nine times out of ten, when someone would bring in a 360 to trade in, the Intercooler was melted around the edges to the 360.

Stock cooling works fine for me too.

whtclipse98Sep-25-09 11:11 AM
137 posts,
#41766, "RE: xbox failure...AGAIN"
In response to Reply # 24

The intercooler is a piece of crap because it draws more energy from the system causing it to heat up more. The stock cooling will only work fine if you have the system out in the open and not obstructed by anything. You can upgrade to a better set of internal fans to get better cooling and even upgrade the heat sinks. But the easiest way is what xcasbonx said, just bitch as microsoft enough and they will fix it for free.

420agreenvilleSCSep-25-09 11:23 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#41767, "RE: xbox failure...AGAIN"
In response to Reply # 25

the ntercooler works off USB power. I have a different type of cooler. Doesnt use USB to power it. For the record, this RROD happened w/out the cooler. so, it's happened with and without. cooler has no effect on preventing failure.

ezSep-28-09 09:43 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#41795, "RE: xbox failure...AGAIN"
In response to Reply # 26

While we are on the subject, I'm thinking about finally getting a console. The last console I bought was a sega genesis

I want to get a PS3... any one have tips on what to look for? I saw from above that they are no longer backwards compatible - what is that about! So I guess I need an earlier version b/c there were some cool ps-2 games.

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

TeamDR1665Sep-29-09 12:19 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#41796, "RE: xbox failure...AGAIN"
In response to Reply # 27

I hear ya on the console purchase, Erik. The last deal I got was a brand new Xbox the week the X350 came out. I got bored with it and sold it - with the plastic clingy still on the front - about three months later.

Currently, I've got a NES and a PSone. I'd love to play more video games, but I find I'm most interested in the driving games and it's hard for me to justify putting a couple hundred dollars into a driving video game instead of into building a real race car, ya know?

420agreenvilleSCSep-29-09 10:24 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#41797, "RE: xbox failure...AGAIN"
In response to Reply # 28

ez, the ones that are backwards compat. are the 20 & 60gb versions IIRC. hard to find. You might be able to search the net and be able to mod a newer one that ISNT compatible, but make it compat.

If you get a 360, buy it new so you have a 3yr warranty. if you buy it from best buy, get their warranty. both systems fail, but the 360 more so.

dalesmitsuSep-29-09 03:27 PM
Member since May 13th 2006
986 posts,
#41799, "RE: xbox failure...AGAIN"
In response to Reply # 29

you guys hear about the new NFS game, seen an ad for it looks good. I prefer the Ps2 console, they'll have for all consoles not just the 360* and Ps3.

Fallen4ng31Sep-30-09 04:49 AM
Donating 2GNT member
370 posts,
#41803, "RE: xbox failure...AGAIN"
In response to Reply # 30

NFS Shift isn't worth playing. That is unless, of course, you've never played a sim racer and are looking to use it as a stepping stone to it's big brothers: Gran Turismo or Forza Motorsport.

I hate hipsters.

420agreenvilleSCSep-30-09 10:02 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#41804, "RE: xbox failure...AGAIN"
In response to Reply # 31

FYI, my xbox is on its way back, repaired. Will get it tomorrow. signature required. Took 1 week almost exactly to ship it to them, repair and get it back. pretty fast IMO

RoninEclipse2GSep-30-09 12:52 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#41807, "RE: xbox failure...AGAIN"
In response to Reply # 32

The PS3 is still compatible with the PS1 games, but they stopped putting in the chip that makes it compatible with the PS2 games to lower costs. I've heard that you can get the newer units and buy a dead older unit and swap in the chip and have the backwards compatibility. Unfortunately I haven't seen this firsthand. I don't know about the new small boxes either.

Most of the newer PS3's don't have the failure issues that the earlier units did.

Xbox's seem to drop like flies no matter what generation they're from.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

MalenkoOct-01-09 02:10 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3534 posts,
#41816, "RE: xbox failure...AGAIN"
In response to Reply # 32

FYI, my xbox is on its way back, repaired. Will get it tomorrow. signature required. Took 1 week almost exactly to ship it to them, repair and get it back. pretty fast IMO

different XBOX360, they just sent you out one that was repaired;and when they fix yours it'll go to someone else who sends theirs in. I can fix a RROD xbox in about 11 minutes

420agreenvilleSCOct-01-09 02:37 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#41817, "RE: xbox failure...AGAIN"
In response to Reply # 34

sorry malenko, my external case still reads the date I bought it. No matter the issue, I believe they just re-manufacture the insides and put your case back on. got it today btw

Top Team 2GNT Community The Pits v3.1 topic #41700 Previous topic | Next topic