Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top Team 2GNT Community The Pits v3.1 topic #27759
View in linear mode

Subject: "Homemade jet engine using a turbocharger." Previous topic | Next topic
Moderatorcs82685Oct-03-07 03:17 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2007 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#27759, "Homemade jet engine using a turbocharger."

I saw this video posted on talk and although the video is only kinda cool, reading about how these things are made was pretty interesting.

Anyway's linky for the video...

and link for how it's made...

http://salvatoreaiello.com/main.shtml

Pretty cool shit if you ask me.

I contributed to the Wiki!
EVO IX - just a really expensive boost gauge and a K&N air filter
96 Eclipse RS -awaiting registration and inspection
95 Eclipse GS - parts car
Mods/Profile - http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=cs82685

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Homemade jet engine using a turbocharger., Moderatormicyek, Oct-04-07 01:27 AM, #1
RE: Homemade jet engine using a turbocharger., Teametx, Oct-04-07 06:11 AM, #2
      RE: Homemade jet engine using a turbocharger., ez, Oct-04-07 07:21 AM, #3
           RE: Homemade jet engine using a turbocharger., TeamDR1665, Oct-04-07 09:30 AM, #4
           RE: Homemade jet engine using a turbocharger., noboost, Oct-04-07 10:46 AM, #5
                RE: Homemade jet engine using a turbocharger., Keith2172, Oct-04-07 12:01 PM, #6
                RE: Homemade jet engine using a turbocharger., noboost, Oct-04-07 01:58 PM, #8
                RE: Homemade jet engine using a turbocharger., EclipseSix, Oct-04-07 12:23 PM, #7
                     RE: Homemade jet engine using a turbocharger., Chamuko, Oct-23-07 08:57 PM, #9

ModeratormicyekOct-04-07 01:27 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5070 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#27763, "RE: Homemade jet engine using a turbocharger."
In response to Reply # 0
Oct-04-07 03:23 AM by micyek

I've got a 14b that I consider doing this with. In my spare time. LOL

It looks so dangerous too.

*edit*

Well this has Darwin Award written all over it. heh

getty up

-kent-

'98 Talon...gone, but not forgotten

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeametxOct-04-07 06:11 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9740 posts,
#27766, "RE: Homemade jet engine using a turbocharger."
In response to Reply # 1
Oct-04-07 06:22 AM by etx

I put my shop vac on blow and connected it to my turbine inlet on a t28 last night. I thought that was cool...

The site is very informative, cool read!

ezOct-04-07 07:21 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#27769, "RE: Homemade jet engine using a turbocharger."
In response to Reply # 2

there's a ton of turbo-turned-jet videos on youtube. they sound pretty cool.

Question (probably for Corbin or some other technogenious) - if you injected fuel into the downpipe after the turbo, does this make an afterburner type of effect? I bet that would sound cool before you blew up.

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

TeamDR1665Oct-04-07 09:30 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14692 posts,
#27776, "RE: Homemade jet engine using a turbocharger."
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by ez
there's a ton of turbo-turned-jet videos on youtube. they sound pretty cool. Question (probably for Corbin or some other technogenious) - if you injected fuel into the downpipe after the turbo, does this make an afterburner type of effect? I bet that would sound cool before you blew up.

If you inject fuel into the exhaust manifold before the turbo, it's called anti-lag, and it sounds like sex. Manifolds don't like it too much....

noboostOct-04-07 10:46 AM
Member since Mar 16th 2007
6 posts,
#27777, "RE: Homemade jet engine using a turbocharger."
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by ez
Question (probably for Corbin or some other technogenious) - if you injected fuel into the downpipe after the turbo, does this make an afterburner type of effect?

Yes, that is an afterburner. It looks like he has one on that video, unless that's just a thermocouple for monitoring the exhaust gas, which I doubt.

/not a technogenious, I just like fire.

Keith2172Oct-04-07 12:01 PM
Member since Jan 16th 2004
1281 posts,
#27779, "RE: Homemade jet engine using a turbocharger."
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by noboost
Originally posted by ez Question (probably for Corbin or some other technogenious) - if you injected fuel into the downpipe after the turbo, does this make an afterburner type of effect?
Yes, that is an afterburner. It looks like he has one on that video, unless that's just a thermocouple for monitoring the exhaust gas, which I doubt. /not a technogenious, I just like fire.

No, it's F&F nonsense

It's amazing how simple these things really are, just unfortunate that you can't produce more shaft horsepower out of something that small.

That radial jet looks pretty intersteing. I have to admit that I'd love to build one of these but would have absolutly nothing to do with it after it was built.

Representing the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I think I'm the only member )

noboostOct-04-07 01:58 PM
Member since Mar 16th 2007
6 posts,
#27785, "RE: Homemade jet engine using a turbocharger."
In response to Reply # 6
Oct-04-07 02:04 PM by noboost

Originally posted by Keith2172
No, it's F&F nonsense

On a car, its nonsense.
On a radial jet, which I assume is what Ez was referring to, it is an afterburner.

The reason it's nonsense on a car is because the ingested oxygen has already been used pretty completely in the engine.
A jet exhaust has a lot of oxygen left over, so burning it by dumping fuel into the exhaust produces extra thrust without spinning the turbine any faster.

EclipseSixOct-04-07 12:23 PM
Member since Jan 27th 2004
305 posts,
#27781, "RE: Homemade jet engine using a turbocharger."
In response to Reply # 5

quoted from the site "the jet engine sucks, squeezes, bangs and blows all at the same time!"

And women wonder why sometimes we'd rather be around our cars and tech then them...

ChamukoOct-23-07 08:57 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3668 posts,
#28349, "RE: Homemade jet engine using a turbocharger."
In response to Reply # 7
Oct-23-07 08:57 PM by Chamuko

t25, in university lab, 6 years old.
<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://img.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v607/Chamuko/turbineturbocsula.flv"></embed>

Member # 751

FOUNDER of the Central Cali chapter of 2GNT!
(I got kicked out after I refused to go Cow tiping) - Hehehe you know who this is for

Top Team 2GNT Community The Pits v3.1 topic #27759 Previous topic | Next topic