Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top Team 2GNT Community The Pits v3.1 topic #37375
View in linear mode

Subject: "Why the auto bailout failed" Previous topic | Next topic
thedawgDec-12-08 07:01 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#37375, "Why the auto bailout failed"

In 2008 UAW gave:
$1,645,450 to House Democrats and $136,000 to Senate Democrats
____$7,000 to House Republicans, and $3,000 to Senate Republicans.

Organized labor as a whole gave:
$55,755,081 to Democrats
_$5,058,469 to Republicans

Since 1990 the UAW gave:
$24,880,050 to Democrats
___$180,200 to Republicans.

Wonder why the banks and financial institutions got bailed out?

In 2008 Financial/Insurance/Real Estate gave:
$216,203,391 to Democrats
$204,704,699 to Republicans.

There's your elected congress at work, proving yet again they have only your best interests in mind.

Sources:
http://www.opensecrets.org/industries/indus.php?ind=P
http://www.opensecrets.org/industries/indus.php?ind=F
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5gAXcxdrffHLtSt6Efcrg0gdefcdQD951FJH80

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Why the auto bailout failed, freelancefool, Dec-12-08 09:56 PM, #1
RE: Why the auto bailout failed, burntheblobs, Dec-13-08 10:33 AM, #2
RE: Why the auto bailout failed, ez, Dec-13-08 12:57 PM, #3
      RE: Why the auto bailout failed, burntheblobs, Dec-13-08 01:34 PM, #4
           RE: Why the auto bailout failed, ez, Dec-13-08 04:40 PM, #5
                RE: Why the auto bailout failed, burntheblobs, Dec-13-08 06:28 PM, #6
                     RE: Why the auto bailout failed, thedawg, Dec-14-08 03:53 PM, #7
                          RE: Why the auto bailout failed, burntheblobs, Dec-14-08 06:27 PM, #8
                               RE: Why the auto bailout failed, 2GNT_95eclipse, Dec-14-08 11:19 PM, #9
                                    RE: Why the auto bailout failed, .bs0d, Dec-15-08 09:49 PM, #10
RE: Why the auto bailout failed, Teametx, Dec-16-08 11:38 AM, #11
      RE: Why the auto bailout failed, Moderatormicyek, Dec-16-08 11:51 AM, #12
           RE: Why the auto bailout failed, burntheblobs, Dec-16-08 04:14 PM, #13
                RE: Why the auto bailout failed, Moderatormicyek, Dec-17-08 06:58 AM, #14
                RE: Why the auto bailout failed, Moderatorbullettdsm, Dec-17-08 01:34 PM, #15
                     RE: Why the auto bailout failed, Moderator992gnt, Dec-17-08 03:37 PM, #16

freelancefoolDec-12-08 09:56 PM
Donating 2GNT member
765 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#37380, "RE: Why the auto bailout failed"
In response to Reply # 0

I figured the auto bailout would fail because giving money to a company that makes a shitty product that people choose not to buy only prolongs the inevitable.

My Blog

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

burntheblobsDec-13-08 10:33 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1445 posts,
#37383, "RE: Why the auto bailout failed"
In response to Reply # 1
Dec-13-08 10:33 AM by burntheblobs

Originally posted by freelancefool
I figured the auto bailout would fail because giving money to a company that makes a shitty product that people choose not to buy only prolongs the inevitable.

No, that's why it should have failed. OP was spot on why it did fail.

In all honestly though it's half of the fault of labor unions. It's hard to produce a cheap product when you have to pay your unskilled laborers absurd amounts of money.

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX - SOLD
2006 Mustang GT Convertible

ezDec-13-08 12:57 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#37384, "RE: Why the auto bailout failed"
In response to Reply # 2

Thanks for the website Dan- very informative.

Nice to finally find a source for this number: "National Assn of Realtors $34,343,578." Number 3 on the top ten list of donors.

NAR was probably the loudest voice for disinformation here in California during the housing bubble. "ITS NEVER BEEN A BETTER TIME TO BUY! HOUSING PRICES NEVER GO DOWN!" realtors are the sleaziest salesmen/women around, and so completely unnecessary to perform any kind of housing transaction in this day and age.

Anyways, the inflation and now deflation of housing prices is the reason for the economy we see right now. Yet it's only one piece of the much much larger derivatives market. I can't wait until the system fails.

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

burntheblobsDec-13-08 01:34 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1445 posts,
#37385, "RE: Why the auto bailout failed"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by ez
I can't wait until the system fails.

The system never "fails". It simply "corrects" itself. Those realtors pushed the price of houses way out of equilibrium. Now the market is trying to get back into equilibrium.

ezDec-13-08 04:40 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#37387, "RE: Why the auto bailout failed"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by burntheblobs
The system never "fails".

Ever read a history book?

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

burntheblobsDec-13-08 06:28 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1445 posts,
#37388, "RE: Why the auto bailout failed"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by ez
Originally posted by burntheblobs The system never "fails".

Yes. "Failures" such as the great depression are not failures at all. It was just the market trying to correct for people overestimating their chances of making money. When it fell through, the market acted accordingly. If you look at history, you will notice periods of economic growth and shrink as a cyclical pattern. It never just dies.

thedawgDec-14-08 03:53 PM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#37394, "RE: Why the auto bailout failed"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by ez
Yes. "Failures" such as the great depression are not failures at all.

I think he meant Rome, Soviet Union, British Colonies in America, etc.

burntheblobsDec-14-08 06:27 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1445 posts,
#37395, "RE: Why the auto bailout failed"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by thedawg
Originally posted by ez
Yes. "Failures" such as the great depression are not failures at all.
I think he meant Rome, Soviet Union, British Colonies in America, etc.

Ah. Well then I'd just say those weren't economic failures. Those were social and political failures.

2GNT_95eclipseDec-14-08 11:19 PM
Member since Sep 16th 2008
38 posts,
#37397, "RE: Why the auto bailout failed"
In response to Reply # 8

well jesus, cant we just saw that they "failed" one way or another?

Originally posted by 740 turbo brick
What the fuck? Your car "whistled" and some idiot thought it was turbocharged? Jesus Christ..

.bs0dDec-15-08 09:49 PM
Member since Jan 14th 2004
597 posts,
#37409, "RE: Why the auto bailout failed"
In response to Reply # 9

It all may not matter. In the end, the auto industry will likely get a piece of the bailout pie that's being served.

TeametxDec-16-08 11:38 AM
Donating 2GNT member
9740 posts,
#37416, "RE: Why the auto bailout failed"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by freelancefool

lol, shitty products? Still driving your Dodge Eclipse? Chrysler is blowing it big time in the quality department STILL, GM and Ford finally got their shit together in the early part of the decade. But the misconception that foreign cars are of better quality is unfounded marketing fodder.

ModeratormicyekDec-16-08 11:51 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5070 posts,
#37417, "RE: Why the auto bailout failed"
In response to Reply # 11

Originally posted by etx
Originally posted by freelancefool I figured the auto bailout would fail because giving money to a company that makes a shitty product that people choose not to buy only prolongs the inevitable.
lol, shitty products? Still driving your Dodge Eclipse? Chrysler is blowing it big time in the quality department STILL, GM and Ford finally got their shit together in the early part of the decade. But the misconception that foreign cars are of better quality is unfounded marketing fodder.

Thanks Derrek. And don't the Big 3 account for about 75% of auto sales here in the states? So to say that nobody wants them is just stupid. Just because you don't want an American car doesn't mean everyone has your opinion. Japanese sales have went down just as much as domestics have in recent months.

I'll be sure to ask Freelancefool what car I should buy next time I'm looking. That's a great slice of American opinion right there.

getty up

-kent-

'98 Talon...gone, but not forgotten

burntheblobsDec-16-08 04:14 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1445 posts,
#37418, "RE: Why the auto bailout failed"
In response to Reply # 12
Dec-16-08 04:14 PM by burntheblobs

Don't confuse amount of sales with efficiency. The problem is that these firms aren't efficient. If I am selling more bananas then any other banana producer in the world, but I am so inefficient that it costs me $50 per banana to produce, I am going to lose money.

ModeratormicyekDec-17-08 06:58 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5070 posts,
#37430, "RE: Why the auto bailout failed"
In response to Reply # 13

All I'm saying is that they do build cars/truck that the masses like. I didn't say they were good at it.

GM in for instance has so many model that they effectively completeing against themselves in a lot of cases. Focus on fewer cars and they could build some quality stuff.

getty up

-kent-

'98 Talon...gone, but not forgotten

ModeratorbullettdsmDec-17-08 01:34 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#37439, "RE: Why the auto bailout failed"
In response to Reply # 13

Don't confuse amount of sales with efficiency. The problem is that these firms aren't efficient. If I am selling more bananas then any other banana producer in the world, but I am so inefficient that it costs me $50 per banana to produce, I am going to lose money.

You are correct sir.

Basic business model is not being followed. Why? Because for so long the golden goose was fat enough to take the hits.

The golden goose is dead

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

Moderator992gntDec-17-08 03:37 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2245 posts,
#37441, "RE: Why the auto bailout failed"
In response to Reply # 15

Ford and GM may have 'fixed' their quality problems, but the damage done in the 80's and 90's will take a LONG time to turn around. Personally, I tried to get my wife to buy a car from one of the big 3 since we are a supplier to all of them and get discounts. Not one car I showed her did she like. For too long 'American' cars have been ugly, unreliable pieces of shit. And I'm not convinced that is fixed either; too many people I know still have ridiculous problems from cars costing $20-$30k and more. I feel for those caught in the ripple of all this, but not much pity for the big 3 themselves or the UAW. Stupid is as stupid does.

Greg

'19 Genesis G70 3.3t AWD
'88 Chrysler Conquest TSI

Top Team 2GNT Community The Pits v3.1 topic #37375 Previous topic | Next topic