Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #972
View in linear mode

Subject: "Can a spring compressor be rented?" Previous topic | Next topic
GSsportMar-03-01 05:35 AM
Old School 2GNTer
109 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#972, "Can a spring compressor be rented?"

And how hard is changing struts and springs and how hard is it to use a spring compressor??? I would try to do it if it's not that hard. I put my AEM cold air intake on myself, and my front strut bar so compared to those tasks how hard is it to do? Thanks,
Rob (GSsport)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Can a spring compressor be rented?, BLKOUT, Mar-03-01 05:41 AM, #1
RE: Can a spring compressor be rented?, John99RS, Mar-03-01 06:38 AM, #2
      RE: Can a spring compressor be rented?, cyan, Mar-03-01 06:58 AM, #3
           umm..........., klipzracer, Mar-03-01 03:16 PM, #4
                RE: umm..........., trickedeclipse, Mar-03-01 04:13 PM, #5
                     RE: umm..........., BLKOUT, Mar-04-01 04:29 AM, #6
                          RE: umm..........., Irfan, Mar-07-01 05:55 PM, #7
                               TrickedEclipse, cyan, Mar-07-01 06:35 PM, #8

BLKOUTMar-03-01 05:41 AM
Old School 2GNTer
218 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#973, "RE: Can a spring compressor be rented?"
In response to Reply # 0

Yes you can rent a spring compressor. It's pretty easy to use. Also, you won't need a spring compressor to install lowering springs. Most of them are short enough that you can just push them down enough to get the nut started onto the strut. I would say "Yes" that you should be able to install them yourself, if your careful. Remember to get your re-aligned after you install the springs.
Joe
97 GS w/ Hahn stage 2
Keep cruisin' & keep the shiny side up.
http://joeseclipse.homestead.com

Yeah I got two tens in the back...two ten pound bottles!!!!

Joe
97 GS w/ HRC stage 2 +

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

John99RSMar-03-01 06:38 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1191 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#974, "RE: Can a spring compressor be rented?"
In response to Reply # 1

Yeah, just as BLKOUT said, it's pretty easy as long as you take your time and do it right. It took me about 3 1/2 hours to install springs and struts with front and rear camber kits....also with an impact wrench. Also, I rented a spring compressor but never used it. The stock springs only expanded like another 1/2 inch. It's up to you though. Either way, you shouldn't have any problems.

John
john99rs@hotmail.com
http://johnseclipse.homestead.com

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3130861

cyanMar-03-01 06:58 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
#975, "RE: Can a spring compressor be rented?"
In response to Reply # 2

if you have an RS it will be easier because no sway bar links to unbolt. those damn things added about 2 hours of time to my install. it took me six hours to do just the front, after doing the front left twice cause i didnt knock off the spring perches when installing the coilovers. if you have a GS the sway bars will likely give you a hard time, if not, lucky you, its still easy though
http://www.geocities.com/blue2gnt
blue2gnt@hotmail.com AOL IM - ThreeRedDiamonds

1995 Eclipse GS - HRC Stage 2 - Retired.
2004 350z Enthusiast / 2008 Nissan Versa SL

klipzracerMar-03-01 03:16 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4006 posts,
#976, "umm..........."
In response to Reply # 3

you're wrong there bucko the RS has sway bars in the front.

Chris
Project RS
"I wish my car was a chick magnet....instead it's a cop magnet!"
chrisdishmon@hotmail.com
http://www.geocities.com/chrisdishmon/project_rs.html

trickedeclipseMar-03-01 04:13 PM
Old School 2GNTer
438 posts,
#977, "RE: umm..........."
In response to Reply # 4

all this talk about spring perches has got me wondering. i have coilovers installed, but i don't know if they were knocked off. does anyone have a picture of a strut's "spring perch" or can you describe what it is to me? would it be possible to notice if i look to see if they were knocked off? also, do the back shocks have spring perches or is it just in the front? i wanna make sure everything is set up right, and i hear that if the spring perch is knocked off, the coilover will sit flatter. or is it lower?

let me know... pj
1996 Talon Esi - Eclipse rear end

-PJ
'96 ESI-NOS Talon / '02 Subaru WRX

"Making Dreams Reality"

BLKOUTMar-04-01 04:29 AM
Old School 2GNTer
218 posts,
#978, "RE: umm..........."
In response to Reply # 5

The spring perch is simply the seat that the spring sits on. When you install factory (regular) style spings, they sit on the metal seat and then they are topped with the upper spring bushing and mount. However when you install CO they have they're own lower mount which is movable up/down, hence the adjustablilty. This lower mount is installed on a threaded sleeve. In order to install the sleeve you have to remove the factory lower spring seat (spring perch). I know you probably know most of this, but I put it here in case someone else doesn't. Hope this helps a little.
Joe
97 GS w/ Hahn stage 2
Keep cruisin' & keep the shiny side up.
http://joeseclipse.homestead.com

Yeah I got two tens in the back...two ten pound bottles!!!!

Joe
97 GS w/ HRC stage 2 +

IrfanMar-07-01 05:55 PM
Old School 2GNTer
566 posts,
#979, "RE: umm..........."
In response to Reply # 6

you can rent a compressor at auto zone for free, if you leave a refundable deposit. I didnt use. You dont need it at all if you use lower springs. as for difficulty: Its not *difficult* at all... just takes a ton of time... mine took close to ten hours. Do yourself a favor and get a breaker bar (i didnt have one at the time) and save yourself 5 hours.

2GNT Member #76, since Fall 1999

Drives: 2004 Mazda RX-8
Drove: 1999 Saab 9-5 SE
1999 Eclipse GS Hahn Stage 1

cyanMar-07-01 06:35 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
#980, "TrickedEclipse"
In response to Reply # 7

dude, i have seen your car, believe me your perches are gone. that bitch was slammed what, 4 inches?!? no perches there. if you had perches you couldnt go lower than stock. i had my coilovers set all the way down with the perches on and it RAISED my car! i had positive camber! you dont want to see positive camber either, that shit is funny, i could have climbed in my fender gap and slept in there it was so big. so your perches are off
http://www.geocities.com/blue2gnt

1995 Eclipse GS - HRC Stage 2 - Retired.
2004 350z Enthusiast / 2008 Nissan Versa SL

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #972 Previous topic | Next topic