Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #9687
View in linear mode

Subject: "Loud pop from the rear??" Previous topic | Next topic
eludeMay-28-02 07:56 AM
Member since Jan 18th 2002
242 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9687, "Loud pop from the rear??"

well, had my shocks fixed.. stupid people who installed them forgot to put the washers on the bottom end of the shocks.. well anyways, after i got it fixed, every time my car makes a slightly elevated turn like up left or up right i get a loud pop noise. i had one of my friends take a look what happens and he said something like my camber is like pulling then snapping with my shocks and coilovers.. any one got any suggestions??? whats goin on?? thanks...

jon
eludedude@hotmail.com

jon - elude
2GNT - n2o (GONE!!)

HoNduH pOWah! haha..
01'Honda s2000

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Loud pop from the rear??, fasterGS, May-28-02 01:38 PM, #1
RE: Loud pop from the rear??, vegasdsmr, May-28-02 07:28 PM, #2
      RE: Loud pop from the rear??, madregal, Jun-05-02 03:30 AM, #3
           RE: Loud pop from the rear??, HeDog, Jun-05-02 08:45 AM, #4
                RE: Loud pop from the rear??, ModeratorEvuLFleA, Jun-05-02 09:29 AM, #5
                     RE: Loud pop from the rear??, EcLIpsInEmCEe7, Jun-05-02 11:37 AM, #6

fasterGSMay-28-02 01:38 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3879 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9688, "RE: Loud pop from the rear??"
In response to Reply # 0

>i had one of my friends take a look what
>happens and he said something like my camber is like pulling
>then snapping with my shocks and coilovers....

Im not sure if I follow you. Camber is not something tangible, its basically the angle at which your wheels sit. Now coilovers will make noises when you hit bumps and whatnot. I wish I could help you out more but I cannot picture what you are talking about.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

vegasdsmrMay-28-02 07:28 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4713 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9689, "RE: Loud pop from the rear??"
In response to Reply # 1

i think what u are askin about is difficult to explain.. since u are goin up a slope (like a driveway), when an odd # of wheel(s) is on the slope, and the others arent, the opposite part of the suspension will be elongated (if u will )

like one side is compressed, since its up the hill, but the other isnt since its still on the bottom portion...

the spring will cum up off the perch, and when u level out, or begin to, the spring will snap back down, and make that pop and hit the perch...

i may be talkin out my ass, but i get da pops when i cum out my driveway sumtimes, or when im goin diagonal into sum bunk ass entrance to a shoppinmall, etc....

i wud look over your suspension to make sure, and retorque all the bolts to be sure that everythin is fine...

good luck, and i hope u can follow what i tried to convey....

03 srt-4 13.130@112.47mph (n2o, stock turbo, 10/2003)
now: 20g, portfueler, bpu+++ (track/dyno times tbd...)

i farted on your wiki

madregalJun-05-02 03:30 AM
Old School 2GNTer
398 posts,
#9690, "RE: Loud pop from the rear??"
In response to Reply # 2

just had this happen to me this morning. i was going up a little hill doing about 30 mph.. the road inclines and winds to a curve.. i heard this pop.. much like if a stone hit the under chassis but louder... going down on another hill while turning i heard it again. what is causing it??? i was planning to take the car on a long drive.. now i am thinking it may not be a good idea.

help!

'98 GS AT.Magenta Gray Pearl.Accel Spark Plug Wires.NGK Plugs.AEM Short Stack.GS-T Exhaust.AFX Underdrive pulley.RRE Front Lower Bar.Tenzo Rear Upper Bar
Tenzo Rear Lower Bar.Tenzo Front Upper Bar.Energy Suspension Bushings.Energy Suspension Motor Mounts.Radius Rims.Pirelli Tires.Eibach Pro kit Springs.KYB GR2.$15 camber mod

'98 GS AT.Magenta Gray Pearl.Accel Spark Plug Wires.NGK Plugs.AEM Short Stack.GS-T Exhaust.AFX Underdrive pulley.RRE Front Lower Bar.Tenzo Rear Upper Bar.Tenzo Rear Lower Bar.Tenzo Front Upper Bar.Energy Suspension Bushings.Energy Suspension Motor Mounts.

HeDogJun-05-02 08:45 AM
Old School 2GNTer
251 posts,
#9691, "RE: Loud pop from the rear??"
In response to Reply # 3

When I first lowered my car I thought I had the nuts on the top of the struts tightened, but after I got it off the hoist, I noticed that every so often I would hear this "pop" from the rear when I would hit a substantial bump.

Check the nut on top of the strut. Once I tightened that thing up I haven't had any problems since. What happened was that there was some play in the strut & the "pop" was the struts threads rubbing the inside of the mounting hole on the inside of the car. You wouldn't notice the play while the car was on the hoist because the strut doesn't have any weight on it & the nut will appear fine. Don't know if this will help, but at least check it.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=879

HeDog

'95 Eclipse GS/Turboed

HRC Stage II with FMIC.

ModeratorEvuLFleAJun-05-02 09:29 AM
Old School 2GNTer
9791 posts,
#9692, "RE: Loud pop from the rear??"
In response to Reply # 4

What HeDog said is part of what my problem was...but I actually had the nut as far down as I could go so I just put some rubber washers under there and that fixed that.

For your "pop" what it is is that coilovers are so much shorter than springs and that means when your car is on uneven ground the piece that is on top of the springs (a little cover thing) goes up and your springs stay down and when the come back into contact with each other it usually doesn't go perfectly back in so it forces itself and when it does that you get a loud "POP".

I don't think there is anyway to solve this except for raising your car a little so that the spring and the top cover stay in contact with each other.

------------------------------------------------
98 ESi
95 GS

EcLIpsInEmCEe7Jun-05-02 11:37 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1607 posts,
#9693, "RE: Loud pop from the rear??"
In response to Reply # 5

i get a problem similar to this and its because im missing the flange nut on top. anyone know what size it is?? i have illuminas if that makes a difference

-matt

97 Eclipse GS-T with 6-bolt engine

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #9687 Previous topic | Next topic