Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #962
View in linear mode

Subject: "STB's or sway???" Previous topic | Next topic
IrfanMar-01-01 07:09 PM
Old School 2GNTer
566 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#962, "STB's or sway???"

ok, so i can get a front STB, rear STB, lower rear tie bar all for 150, or spend 300 on new sway bars. i have a GS. Is the sway bar set really worth it? i dont autocross, but i love driving backroads and taking fast on ramps. would the three bars help a lot more??? thanks. also, is there a front lower tie bar? and... last question... should i get the sway kit if i have the lower bars? thanks a ton. -irfan

2GNT Member #76, since Fall 1999

Drives: 2004 Mazda RX-8
Drove: 1999 Saab 9-5 SE
1999 Eclipse GS Hahn Stage 1

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

HootMar-02-01 06:01 AM
Old School 2GNTer
106 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#963, "RE: STB's or sway???"
In response to Reply # 0

well... yes and no. (how's that for an answer?) heh

STB's and sway bars do different things. sway bars keep your car flatter through turns and will reduce some understeer. STB's stiffen the chassis and make the car feel more responsive. the best thing would be to have everything. and yes, there is a lower front tie bar being made by RRE especially for us (contact Skrilla about that). if you decide you want the sway bars, I'm running a group buy on the RMDSM bars. they'll cost ya $275 INCLUDING shipping. if i get enough people, you'll get $25 back. you can contact me at LILHOOT@aol.com

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

BLKOUTMar-02-01 11:18 AM
Old School 2GNTer
218 posts,
#964, "RE: STB's or sway???"
In response to Reply # 1

I'll throw my $.02 in here and maybe save you some money. IMO don't waste your money on the lower rear bar, it doesn't really help. I have all three on my car and I didn't notice any difference between no lower-rear and after I installed it. If you have the GS you already have both sway bars, so unless your gonna upgrade with bigger ones don't worry about that. $150 for the three STB's or $300 for the 2 sway bars are both real good prices, if the sway bars are bigger. I would have to say out of the two I would go with the STB's, since you already have factory sway bars, and take the rest and buy a Energy Suspension master flex kit. This kit replaces all your major bushings with poly-eurothane(sp?) which will tighten your car up and you won't have to worry about them wearing out. You can get the kit from NOPI for around $100, and you can get sway bar bushings from RRE for $9 a pair. I know that NOPI doesn't have the sway bar bushings because I was just there looking for them a couple of days ago. Do you think you can get just the 2 upper STB's any cheaper? If not then $150 for all three is still a pretty good price. Just my opinion.
Joe
97 GS w/ Hahn stage 2
Keep cruisin' & keep the shiny side up.
http://joeseclipse.homestead.com

Yeah I got two tens in the back...two ten pound bottles!!!!

Joe
97 GS w/ HRC stage 2 +

SkrillaMar-02-01 02:16 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
#965, "rear lower STB"
In response to Reply # 2

I didn't notice a difference until I removed it and that's when I lost cornering speed, stability and a loose tail. All in all, I thought it worked wonders. I asked JG engine and Dynamic Autosports if the rear would help and that's what they told me and after my lil' experiment that's what happened. The Bushings are a upgrade and help suspension control but costs $$$ because it's SO labor intensive(unless you do it yourself)

Skrilla
'97 Base Talon NA
"Technology: The Only Replacement for Displacement"
"Peace and Turbo Grease"

*Skrilla
"Honest officer, I thought you were trying to race me"
Talon: 1st 2.4L
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by YourInMyMirror95GS
dick teaser's should be rounded up and shot in the forehead
Originally posted by etx
Good luck man! Project 'STFU Brian your talon is dead meat' should be on it's feet soon!
Originally posted by Dark0ne
Thanks. Now excuse me while i fuck your sister.
"fuck all motor" -turbo ate you

BLKOUTMar-02-01 03:36 PM
Old School 2GNTer
218 posts,
#966, "RE: rear lower STB"
In response to Reply # 3

Really the only part of installing the bushings which would cost money is the actual removal of the old bushings. You have to have the old ones pressed out, but this shouldn't cost that much. I am lucky in that I know someone with a press so I will get it done pretty cheap if not free. Other than that, everything else should be able to be done by anyone. One hard thing that I will say is removing the lower front control arms. You have to take the ball joint loose and in case you've never looked at it, it's almost impossible to get to. I'm installing mine now that the engine & tranny are out of the car. With no axles in the way, it's easy to get to the ball joints. Even with all the work involved, I would definitley recommend this to some one who was looking to tighten up the suspension. These bushings are sweet, and the kit comes with everything except motor mounts & sway bar bushings. Both of these are available seperatly though. The master kit even includes shifter mount bushings. Back to the RLTB though, I guess since I installed mine and then never removed it to compare I've never really noticed it being there. I'm sure it does help some though.
Joe
97 GS w/ Hahn stage 2
Keep cruisin' & keep the shiny side up.
http://joeseclipse.homestead.com

Yeah I got two tens in the back...two ten pound bottles!!!!

Joe
97 GS w/ HRC stage 2 +

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #962 Previous topic | Next topic