Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 4 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #9457
View in linear mode

Subject: "coil overs vs. springs" Previous topic | Next topic
xenonxMay-19-02 11:45 AM
Member since Apr 24th 2002
41 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9457, "coil overs vs. springs"

Which would be better to go with i heard coilovers suck

damn we're in a tight spot

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: coil overs vs. springs, TeamXtremeRS, May-19-02 02:00 PM, #1
RE: coil overs vs. springs, ModeratorEvuLFleA, May-19-02 02:06 PM, #2
      RE: coil overs vs. springs, Mystic511, May-19-02 04:03 PM, #3
           RE: coil overs vs. springs, xenonx, May-19-02 05:05 PM, #4
RE: coil overs vs. springs, Skrilla, May-20-02 12:10 PM, #5
RE: coil overs vs. springs, 99Eclipse, May-22-02 04:58 PM, #6

TeamXtremeRSMay-19-02 02:00 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9458, "RE: coil overs vs. springs"
In response to Reply # 0

If you want height adjustability, then go with a good name brand coilover set up. Then tend to be somewhat noisy though, so keep that in mind. Springs will by my choice, but i never had coilovers, so...Plus i don't need to adjust my height for any reason either....I am running on the H&R sport springs, and have no compaints what so ever. Very happy with them.

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratorEvuLFleAMay-19-02 02:06 PM
Old School 2GNTer
9791 posts,
#9459, "RE: coil overs vs. springs"
In response to Reply # 1

Springs.

The thing with me was, I wanted a 2.75" drop, but wanted to have a 1" drop in the winter. Well the thing is, I can switch out my entire suspension in about 45 minutes and you do not need a spring compressor with coilovers or my intrax springs. Next spring I am getting H&R's and some Illuminas. Come winter, I will switch my stock ones back in since it is sooooo much easier than I thought. BTW, all my buts and bolts come off easy so thats why it wouldn't take me as long as it would some of you.

------------------------------------------------
98 ESi
95 GS

Mystic511May-19-02 04:03 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1582 posts,
#9460, "RE: coil overs vs. springs"
In response to Reply # 2

The thing about coilovers that your used to seeing is that they are not real coilovers. What you're used to thinking about is the "adjustable spring height" part of a coilover set.

A real coilover system is shocks and springs built into one assembly, and these things can cost over 1000. (if you do a search, i remember doing a post about all the companies that made real coilovers for our cars... "True Coilover Bananza!" I think was my title). Cheapest I found was 800.

As you might guess, since those "fake" coilovers are just the spring part of the real setup, they tend not to be as reliable in racing conditions (in normal daily driving, they are fine). Because of the way they mount onto the shocks that you put them on, they tend to "clunk" or give way during a hard turn.

Upgraded spring and shocks will give you a stiffer more controlled ride... the only draw back is you lose the adjustability of coilovers.

16.1 @ 87.11
http://www.virtuallyinfamous.com

ARD 57mm tb and p&p manifold, Neuspeed STB, Pro-kits, Illuminas, Injen CAI with K&N, 2.5" pacesetter catback,
AF/X UDP, Rear STB, Powerslot rotors, RRE SS Brakelines.

xenonxMay-19-02 05:05 PM
Member since Apr 24th 2002
41 posts,
#9461, "RE: coil overs vs. springs"
In response to Reply # 3

i just want to lower my car but i don't have my body kit yet so I didn't want to lower it then have to raise it cause of the body kit. I also want extremely good handling and springs/coilovers that will be able to handle 10 sec 1/4 miles. (getting stage 5 turbo from hrc)
So what would be a good drop for my car. I have 16" wheels and no body kit yet but will be getting one in the future

damn we're in a tight spot

SkrillaMay-20-02 12:10 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
#9462, "RE: coil overs vs. springs"
In response to Reply # 0

Well like was previously mentioned is that there are True coilovers and ther are "slipovers coils". Slipovers are commonly refered as coilvers but are far from. The true coilovers are height adjustable without losing suspension travel, these embody a complete spring shock upgrade that is complete and comes as a single unit, so 4 would be necessary for any car. The Slipovers do as their name implies they are adjustable spings that "slip" over a different shock body. They slipover setup will be noisy if the don't fit together nearly perfect, but will make no noise if the setups are properly made for each other(not common hence their noisy character). My setup doesn't make any noise but that is because I took the extra time and money to get the proper parts for the upgrade. Because slipovers and shocks comes separate they are also heavier and sometimes cheaper, although now, true coilovers are cheap enough to be bought at just a few hundred dollars more. They range in price from 800-1700+. RRE sells a good set they had specially made for eclipses\talons that start at 700 or 800 and are 15 way adjustable. They are the ones I'd ever upgrade to or the Progress Group set(which by the way make superb true 22mm).

*Skrilla
"Honest officer, I thought you were trying to race me"
Talon: 1st 2.4L
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by YourInMyMirror95GS
dick teaser's should be rounded up and shot in the forehead
Originally posted by etx
Good luck man! Project 'STFU Brian your talon is dead meat' should be on it's feet soon!
Originally posted by Dark0ne
Thanks. Now excuse me while i fuck your sister.
"fuck all motor" -turbo ate you

99EclipseMay-22-02 04:58 PM
Old School 2GNTer
853 posts,
#9463, "RE: coil overs vs. springs"
In response to Reply # 5

Go with tanabes 1300 dollar kit there so bad ass and I test drove an rs with them and it rode smoother than a babys ass, im gettin them and im going Hahn Stage 3 w/ 20g and FMIC

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #9457 Previous topic | Next topic