Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #9303
View in linear mode

Subject: "shakey car question" Previous topic | Next topic
eclipticriderMay-11-02 02:15 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1061 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9303, "shakey car question"

i bought the stock rs rims from kris and put my tires on them and put them on my car, now any time i go more than 80 mph it shakes a bit, and it shakes like mad when breaking.

and what kind of adjustment can i do to make the rear drums better, i remember someone adjusting sumething to make them feel better.

thanks in advance guys.

http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/groups/eclipticrides/2gnt/special.gif?bcyOy38AOpAcUGsB

mods:
star stage III clutch
gutted cat-cherry bomb-banzi muffler(thanks kris)
cai(thanks kris)
hotter NGK plugs
platnum plus window tint
all black interior
stock RS rims(soon to be painted w/mirage paint) (thanks kris)
altezas

future mods(in no particular order):
engine rebuild
turbo.....
lower it
wheels
seats
exhaust
piant job
turbo wing
hood
body kit
neons all around
projectors
new altezas
new stereo equipment

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

TeamXtremeRSMay-11-02 03:03 PM
Member since May 20th 2003
6329 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9304, "RE: shakey car question"
In response to Reply # 0

As far as the shaking, be sure to have the wheels blanced properly. If the balance is ok, then it could be a bent wheel, or a bad tire. To adjust the rear drums, you will need to take off the drum, and at the bottom of the assembly, there is an adjuster wheel with little spikes on it. You need to turn this little wheel to expand the brake shoes outward some to take up slack. Adjust the little wheel in small incraments then put the drum back on. When the adjustment is right, you should feel a very slight drag on the drum while turning it with your hand. Do the same for the other side, and your set. When i did this to mine, i noticed a big difference in stopping power. I could tell that the rears were helping in the braking, and before i could tell that the fronts were doing all of the braking. The rear drum brakes should adjust themselves for wear, but they usually only do that when you make a good hard stop in reverse, which many don't even do very often. I try to make a habbit of doing a hard reverse stop at least every other day, and it seems to be working good so far, i haven't noticed any braking loss yet..

13.5 @108 MPH-2.2 60ft(stupid FWD!)
S16G @ 18 PSI/FMIC/Running on MegaSquirt II (Now with sequential
fuel injection)

My webpage: http://eclipsed4evr.home.comcast.net
-1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS-T- "Toy"
-1992 Plymouth Laser Turbo AWD(SOLD)
-2000 Honda CR-V(daily)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

cool_g_83May-12-02 11:32 AM
Member since Apr 27th 2002
478 posts,
#9305, "RE: shakey car question"
In response to Reply # 0

I had the same problem (not the shaking over 80) with shaking while breaking. If it is shaking your steering wheel while breaking you might want to get your rotors machined. That fixed mine right up.

Greg
'99 Black GS-T MT

Defi D-Series Boost Gauge, ExtremePsi Intake, Greddy Type-S BOV, Hallman Evolution MBC ... 3" Thermal R&D Exhaust soon

jZaMay-13-02 01:57 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1130 posts,
#9306, "RE: shakey car question"
In response to Reply # 2

if its just shaking, prolly need balancing. If its shaking and pulling to one side, prolly alignment. It could also be bad tires, bent wheel, ... though

jZa
IHS # fo-six-fo-six

"real men don't ride stick"

Amish_EclipseMay-16-02 10:51 AM
Old School 2GNTer
3026 posts,
#9307, "RE: shakey car question"
In response to Reply # 3

it's most likely the balance causing vibrations. but i think you may have something else going on if your vibrating while braking. you shouldn't be cruisin at 80mph anyhow. you could save alot of money if you would save the high speed stuff for the track.

http://www.ocaddict.com

thanks beefgg for the sig

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #9303 Previous topic | Next topic