Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #918
View in linear mode

Subject: "Lower Rear Tieb Bar impressions.." Previous topic | Next topic
TeamJasonESi_TFeb-24-01 11:09 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#918, "Lower Rear Tieb Bar impressions.."

Had a busy day putting in a new fuel filter and adding this bar to my car. All I can say is WOW! This little baby helped my car handling in a a big way. I've already lowered my car with Tokicos N/A and Eibach Pro-kits, so that lowering really got me to "feel" the ground more. I already had a Front STB, and that tightened up the front steering some, but this lower tie bar was FANTASTIC. The big thing is my ASS feels so much more together. I go over large bumps, RR tracks, whatever, and it stays nice and tight. Also, the steering is much more responsive.

After I did the GS-T lower rear sway bar conversion, it helped some, Maybe 3 out of 5 stars. The front STB did maybe the same in impressionable improvements. Both were pleasant improvements. This lower rear tie bar was by far the best though. I gotta give it 5 out of 5 stars. This was exactly what my car needed. I've already bought a rear STB and look forward to that arriving.

I bought my lower rear tie bar from JC Whitney for $45. Well worth the price! Please buy it... (A ten minute install)

Jason
98' Eagle Talon ESi-T
Mitsu Super 16g Turbo(HRC)

http://springfielddsm.homestead.com/JasonsPics.html

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX
98' Eagle Talon ESi (sold)

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Lower Rear Tieb Bar impressions.., Hoot, Feb-24-01 11:50 AM, #1
RE: Lower Rear Tie Bar impressions.., John99RS, Feb-24-01 12:19 PM, #2
RE: Lower Rear Tie Bar impressions.., TeamJasonESi_T, Feb-24-01 03:02 PM, #3
      RE: Lower Rear Tie Bar impressions.., Skrilla, Feb-24-01 07:53 PM, #4
           RE: Lower Rear Tie Bar impressions.., John99RS, Feb-25-01 09:00 AM, #6
RE: Lower Rear Tieb Bar impressions.., Lee, Feb-25-01 08:19 AM, #5
RE: Lower Rear Tieb Bar impressions.., Lee, Feb-27-01 01:06 AM, #7
uh oh..., klipzracer, Feb-27-01 03:33 AM, #8
RE: Lower Rear Tieb Bar impressions.., TeamMichael_97RS, Feb-27-01 09:43 AM, #9
RE: Lower Rear Tieb Bar impressions.., John99RS, Feb-27-01 10:23 AM, #10
      RE: Lower Rear Tieb Bar impressions.., TeamMichael_97RS, Feb-27-01 10:46 AM, #11
      RE: Lower Rear Tieb Bar impressions.., TeamJasonESi_T, Feb-27-01 03:33 PM, #12
           RE: Lower Rear Tieb Bar impressions.., John99RS, Mar-01-01 07:35 AM, #13
                RE: Lower Rear Tie Bar impressions.., TeamJasonESi_T, Mar-01-01 08:04 AM, #14
                     RE: Lower Rear Tie Bar impressions.., HadesOmega, Mar-15-01 05:51 PM, #15
RE: Lower Rear Tie Bar impressions.., gzrs99, Mar-16-01 05:00 PM, #16

HootFeb-24-01 11:50 AM
Old School 2GNTer
106 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#919, "RE: Lower Rear Tieb Bar impressions.."
In response to Reply # 0

cool, i didn't think a rear lower tie-bar would help that much. of course i'm planning on getting one even if the improvement was not as dramatic. do you have a pic of the JCW bar? i'm still shopping around and haven't decided which one to get. any suggestions?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

John99RSFeb-24-01 12:19 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1191 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#920, "RE: Lower Rear Tie Bar impressions.."
In response to Reply # 0

That's exactly how I felt to Jason. I put the front on first and steering was great. Then I added the rear upper and lower bar at the same time and the ass end really sticks to the ground now. Question though, I was considering the rear sway bar like you got, do you think it would be worth it even though you think the tie bar was more effective? My problem is when I corner hard, my rear wheels rub the upper fenders (heavy speaker box doesn't help either....getting rid of it). Do you or anybody else think the rear sway bar would help me with this? Thanks....

John
john99rs@hotmail.com
http://johnseclipse.homestead.com

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3130861

TeamJasonESi_TFeb-24-01 03:02 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
#921, "RE: Lower Rear Tie Bar impressions.."
In response to Reply # 2

LAST EDITED ON 24-Feb-01 AT 08:29 PM (PST)

Wow, I don't know if the sway bar would help this problem John. I really do doubt it though. In my mind after looking at both the rear sway and the rear tie, it's pretty clear they each are at different levels of suspension help. If the tie bar didn't do it, I doubt the sway bar would.

My reason is this. The sway bar is more "gentle" in grabbing your rear end and keeping it in place. It's more refined and is attached to flexible end-links that move with your car as it flexes around corners. The rear tie bar is a lot more dramatic. It's bolted right to the bolts that attach the lower arms to the rear cross member and has no end-links to gradually grab hold of the rear as did the sway bar. Clearly, the sway bar has more allowances for flex than the tie bar does. That's why I think it would be much less dramatic on any help you're looking to get from them.

Also, I think you dont "feel" the sway bar much at lower speeds and less dramatic turns as you do the lower tie bar. The lower tie you can feel doing a turn at any speed over any bump or turn. It totally changed my steering to a quicker more responsive and accurate feel.

Do I recommend the rear sway bar? Maybe,...it just depends on how to the edge you liek to drive. I don't think I'm ever going to auto-cross or anything, so I probably didn't need it. I am glad I did it though....I just like having the extra gadgets is why. No other practical or useful reason.

Really the same reason why I want the rear disks done...

P.S. Hoot, here's the link of the tie bar I bought. To be quite honest though, the bar DOES NOT look exactly like that. It's aluminum alright, but it's straight (not bent), and has small bulky black brackets on each end that allow for the single bolt from the lower arms to attach to it.

http://jcwhitney.com/item.jhtml;$sessionid$2R5GURAAAAQSPWBBJB2SHPWYEFEHSJYG?ITEMID=37779

Jason
98' Eagle Talon ESi-T

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX

SkrillaFeb-24-01 07:53 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
#922, "RE: Lower Rear Tie Bar impressions.."
In response to Reply # 3

LAST EDITED ON 25-Feb-01 AT 00:53 AM (PST)

...but it could also be that the other bars were simply lacking what the rest of your suspension needed. Just imagine if you had everything and not front upper strut bar then added it last after the rear upper and lower, the sway bar and springs. I did all three of mine at the same time. I ended up breaking my front strut bar cornering before my car started it's hickups with the spun rod bearings anyway soon I will need another.

Skrilla
'97 Base Talon NA
"Technology is the Only Substitute for Displacment"
"Peace and Turbo Grease"

*Skrilla
"Honest officer, I thought you were trying to race me"
Talon: 1st 2.4L
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by YourInMyMirror95GS
dick teaser's should be rounded up and shot in the forehead
Originally posted by etx
Good luck man! Project 'STFU Brian your talon is dead meat' should be on it's feet soon!
Originally posted by Dark0ne
Thanks. Now excuse me while i fuck your sister.
"fuck all motor" -turbo ate you

John99RSFeb-25-01 09:00 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1191 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#923, "RE: Lower Rear Tie Bar impressions.."
In response to Reply # 4

Thanks for the input guys.

John
john99rs@hotmail.com

LeeFeb-25-01 08:19 AM
Old School 2GNTer
309 posts,
#924, "RE: Lower Rear Tieb Bar impressions.."
In response to Reply # 0

Cool, I got the same tie bar sitting in my lap right now, I'm about to go out and install it.

Lee
http://www.geocities.com/turbo99gs

HRC Stage II
Coming Soon!

LeeFeb-27-01 01:06 AM
Old School 2GNTer
309 posts,
#925, "RE: Lower Rear Tieb Bar impressions.."
In response to Reply # 0

I'll have to agree with Jason! Well worth the $45. I highly recommend it.

Lee
http://www.geocities.com/turbo99gs

HRC Stage II
Coming Soon!

klipzracerFeb-27-01 03:33 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4006 posts,
#926, "uh oh..."
In response to Reply # 7

this sounds hot......better run out and get me one!

chris
Project RS
"I wish my car was a chick magnet....instead it's a cop magnet!"
chrisdishmon@hotmail.com
http://www.geocities.com/chrisdishmon/project_rs.html

TeamMichael_97RSFeb-27-01 09:43 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#927, "RE: Lower Rear Tieb Bar impressions.."
In response to Reply # 0

Welcome to the belivers of the lower tie bar... j/k I've been at work way to long and am a bit strange at the moment.

But I put rear STB abd lower tie batr on at the same time and yeah, damn I definately noticed the difference. A worthwhile investment, even for the $80 I spent at Extrememotorsports.

Jason I'm going to disagree with you on John's question... maybe not my wisest move since you've done the install and I haven't but... The sway bar is designed to reduce body roll, which is what is causing Johm's rear tires to rub on the fenders. If the sway bar is stiff enough, then this shouldn't happen. That's why down the road I RM Racing sway bars.

The other possible problem for you John is your struts and springs. If they are bad your car will roll more as well and also rub.

One more solution: flair your rear fenders with a baseball bat... carefully. You can pull the fenders out so your tires have more room to move up and down in the wheel well.

BTW John, what size tires are you running?

"To strive to seek to find... and not to yield."
Michael J. Kulaga
Michael_97RS@2gntDSM.zzn.com
aol IM: MJKulga
http://highlander.dsmpower.com/

Firefly:
Mal: You don't know me, son, so let me put this to you plainly: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed.

John99RSFeb-27-01 10:23 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1191 posts,
#928, "RE: Lower Rear Tieb Bar impressions.."
In response to Reply # 9

The standard GS/GST size...205/55/16. I think the problem is the offset of the rims I have(not sure what it is). They are more flush with the outside fenders rather than tucked in. As for the struts, they are fine....about 8 months old.

John
john99rs@hotmail.com

TeamMichael_97RSFeb-27-01 10:46 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#929, "RE: Lower Rear Tieb Bar impressions.."
In response to Reply # 10

Hope I don't have that problem when I put on the 225s

"To strive to seek to find... and not to yield."
Michael J. Kulaga
Michael_97RS@2gntDSM.zzn.com
aol IM: MJKulga
http://highlander.dsmpower.com/

Firefly:
Mal: You don't know me, son, so let me put this to you plainly: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed.

TeamJasonESi_TFeb-27-01 03:33 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
#930, "RE: Lower Rear Tieb Bar impressions.."
In response to Reply # 10

I really think those RM sway bars are going to be big enough to actually have a noticeable difference. However, the GS-T sway bar doesan't seem to be any sort of dramatic stiffener as you migth think.

Because John and I have practically the same suspension setup, plus I have 17's on my car, I have to go in favor of either the aftermarket rim offsets or the weight of the speaker box. My back end is fairly low as well, but I've never heard anything ever resembling even the slightest rubbing. I won't rule out the sway bar as neing some sort of cure for this, but I strongly doubt it. That's unless you only hear the rubbing at hard turns above 40mph.(That's where I think the rear sway is noticeably effective)

Keep us updated John!

Jason
98' Eagle Talon ESi-T

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX

John99RSMar-01-01 07:35 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1191 posts,
#931, "RE: Lower Rear Tieb Bar impressions.."
In response to Reply # 12

Sure thing Jason. I definately know it has something to do with my offset and the speaker box! Does you're car sit slightly higher in the rear than the front? Mine did and then when I put the box in the hatch, it brought it down to match the front. I didn't really have the problem as often before the box, that's why I'm going back to a single sub and pitching the 3 10's. However, I still plan on doing a rear sway bar when I get the chance to.

John
john99rs@hotmail.com

TeamJasonESi_TMar-01-01 08:04 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
#932, "RE: Lower Rear Tie Bar impressions.."
In response to Reply # 13

If it's less than an inch in discrepancy, then possibly. I haven't gotten out a measuring tool or anything. But upon outward inspection, I cannot detect any difference in height difference around. I was worrie dabout this before I ahd ordered my springs so I called Eibach to reassure me of any fears. They assured me that any height difference was not due to their springs.

I don't know if I bought that or not, but I'm happy to report that my heights all the way around at least appear even.

Jason
98' Eagle Talon ESi-T

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX

HadesOmegaMar-15-01 05:51 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#933, "RE: Lower Rear Tie Bar impressions.."
In response to Reply # 14

Yup When I got my Matrix Lower Strut Tie Bar I noticed a big improvement in handling. I could launch better and the back felt tight. I would definately recommend this. Now for the front lower Tie bars!

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

gzrs99Mar-16-01 05:00 PM
Old School 2GNTer
108 posts,
#934, "RE: Lower Rear Tie Bar impressions.."
In response to Reply # 0

For any RS owner, the rear tie bar is a good investment. hey for $45 and a 15 min install with simple hand tools, why not.... I've noticed major decrease in rear end sway, tighter turning radius, the car just feels more solid. I currently still have stock suspension,stock wheels, rear GST sway bar, OBX upper tie bars.
Just waiting for the weather to warm up,so I can install my newlt delivered rm sway bars.

One question tho... for you handling fanatics .....
Would it make any more difference if another lower tie bar was installed on the other side of the LCA's???

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #918 Previous topic | Next topic