Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #9147
View in linear mode

Subject: "HELP!!! Shifter Moving back and forth when in gear..." Previous topic | Next topic
2xtremedsmMay-03-02 03:31 AM
Member since Jan 31st 2002
148 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9147, "HELP!!! Shifter Moving back and forth when in gear..."

I have the pilot motorsports short shifter, and this morning when i drove my car, the shifter is moving back and forth while in gear, almost Full range of motion right to left while the car is in any gear.. need help desperately! I have some tools with me so I may try to fix this before i leave work today, but i have to knwo what might be causing it!

98 GS
all the usual mods
AEM , Greddy, Blah blah blah
Pilot Motorsports sucks!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: HELP!!! Shifter Moving back and forth when in gear..., trwebb26, May-03-02 03:36 AM, #1
RE: HELP!!! Shifter Moving back and forth when in gear..., 2xtremedsm, May-03-02 04:15 AM, #2
      RE: HELP!!! Shifter Moving back and forth when in gear..., vegasdsmr, May-03-02 04:20 AM, #3
           RE: HELP!!! Shifter Moving back and forth when in gear..., 2xtremedsm, May-03-02 04:42 AM, #4
                RE: HELP!!! Shifter Moving back and forth when in gear..., vegasdsmr, May-03-02 04:54 AM, #5
                     RE: HELP!!! Shifter Moving back and forth when in gear..., 2xtremedsm, May-03-02 05:01 AM, #6
                          RE: HELP!!! Shifter Moving back and forth when in gear..., trwebb26, May-03-02 05:05 AM, #7
                               RE: HELP!!! Shifter Moving back and forth when in gear..., 2xtremedsm, May-03-02 05:31 AM, #8

trwebb26May-03-02 03:36 AM
Old School 2GNTer
347 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#9148, "RE: HELP!!! Shifter Moving back and forth when in gear..."
In response to Reply # 0

you didn't put it together correctly... Ok... you know the part of the shifter to the right of the stick??? That assembly seats in a round hole via a specially shaped bushing. You have that little bushing turned 90 degrees from how it should be. THIS IS YOUR PROBLEM!!! That is kind of a crappy explanation. If you need more help... give me an email.

Tim
trwebb26@yahoo.com
White 1999 GS - Manual Tranny
Mods: B&M Shifter, Symbroski Shifter Kit, RRE SS Clutch Line, AEM Short Ram Intake, Clear Side Markers, GS

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

2xtremedsmMay-03-02 04:15 AM
148 posts,
#9149, "RE: HELP!!! Shifter Moving back and forth when in gear..."
In response to Reply # 1

you have mail .

98 GS
all the usual mods
Pilot Motorsports sucks!

vegasdsmrMay-03-02 04:20 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4713 posts,
#9150, "RE: HELP!!! Shifter Moving back and forth when in gear..."
In response to Reply # 2

ya, on the bottom of the actual shifter, u know the thing it sits in... there is an "insert" type thing that makes it so the shifter remains still, and doesnt have any play...

if u can find the pic of the shifter assembly, its part #16 on it...

good luck

03 srt-4 13.130@112.47mph (n2o, stock turbo, 10/2003)
now: 20g, portfueler, bpu+++ (track/dyno times tbd...)

i farted on your wiki

2xtremedsmMay-03-02 04:42 AM
148 posts,
#9151, "RE: HELP!!! Shifter Moving back and forth when in gear..."
In response to Reply # 3

do you mean the little Ball and socket type piece that sits on the floor pan? i know the shifter block ( not the shifter , but the block it attaches to ) is put there to help hold it, is this what you mean?

Where in the hell will i find a shifter diagram? i cant seem to dig one up.

98 GS
all the usual mods
Pilot Motorsports sucks!

vegasdsmrMay-03-02 04:54 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4713 posts,
#9152, "RE: HELP!!! Shifter Moving back and forth when in gear..."
In response to Reply # 4

well, figure it this way ( i dun have the diagram, so picture the assembly)

u know how it has a pivot point in the middle of it... on the bottom most part of the shifter, where it sits in the circular cup* thats where the play is occuring...

justt yank your console, throw her in gear, and tap the shifter back n forth... u will see the play in the cup*...

i Fd mines up, so i gots a cuple peices of cutout rubber on both sides of the peice that fits into the cup** i still have about an inch of play, left to right, but it dun matta much to me...

umm, i hope this is your actual problem... u shud take a good look at the shifter linkage cables as well when u have your console off..

hope this weird azz explanation helps ya

03 srt-4 13.130@112.47mph (n2o, stock turbo, 10/2003)
now: 20g, portfueler, bpu+++ (track/dyno times tbd...)

i farted on your wiki

2xtremedsmMay-03-02 05:01 AM
148 posts,
#9153, "RE: HELP!!! Shifter Moving back and forth when in gear..."
In response to Reply # 5

I * Thik* i know where you are talking about, the circular cup on the bottom with the pivot piece in it, I'm wondering how that happened though, the shifter worked fine until a while ago, I'm hoping it didnt break or some shizz or else I'll have to reinstall the old shifter. hopefully i can drive it home if that's neccessary. I dont hear any grinding or anything and it didnt snap or any crap, it just kind of had a lot of play in it, so I'll have to rip it apart and take a good look here.
It didnt seem to slip out of gear or anything like that while driving, just the shifter had all that play in it, so I'm optimistic that I can still drive it if I hold it in gear if it turns out it snapped the bottom of the shift block off.

98 GS
all the usual mods
Pilot Motorsports sucks!

trwebb26May-03-02 05:05 AM
Old School 2GNTer
347 posts,
#9154, "RE: HELP!!! Shifter Moving back and forth when in gear..."
In response to Reply # 6

i sent you mail with an explanation and website with pics of the bushing of which I speak... let me know if you have more questions.

Tim
trwebb26@yahoo.com
White 1999 GS - Manual Tranny
Mods: B&M Shifter, Symbroski Shifter Kit, RRE SS Clutch Line, AEM Short Ram Intake, Clear Side Markers, GS

2xtremedsmMay-03-02 05:31 AM
148 posts,
#9155, "RE: HELP!!! Shifter Moving back and forth when in gear..."
In response to Reply # 7

danke! I found the issue though, It was the bolt that holds the shifter to the block had come loose, 5 min to rip out the console and a couple more to add some loc tite and tighten it back down , should be dry and good to go by the time I step out of here today. Thanks for the help guys!

98 GS
all the usual mods
Pilot Motorsports sucks!

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #9147 Previous topic | Next topic