Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #859
View in linear mode

Subject: "Lower or bigger rims" Previous topic | Next topic
emitsu97Feb-22-01 12:22 PM
Old School 2GNTer
63 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#859, "Lower or bigger rims"

Hey guys,

I live in a pothole infested are, tons of really really bad potholes. I have this big gripe with the huge gap between the top of my tires and the top of the wheel well. My question is, should I lower my car like an inch or go with 17in. rims? I scrape as it is so would think rims would be the answer. I also read that when you lower you have to adjust the camber. I don't want to have to get a lowering kit and a camber adjusting kit. Also, does anyone know the factory ride height for a 97 GS?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Lower or bigger rims, TeamMichael_97RS, Feb-22-01 02:01 PM, #1
RE: Lower or bigger rims, MYBISHI, Feb-22-01 04:23 PM, #2
      RE: Lower or bigger rims, cyan, Feb-22-01 07:23 PM, #3
           RE: Lower or bigger rims, emitsu97, Feb-23-01 12:22 AM, #4
                RE: Lower or bigger rims, TeamMichael_97RS, Feb-23-01 03:38 AM, #5
                     RE: Lower or bigger rims, emitsu97, Feb-23-01 04:25 AM, #6
                          RE: Lower or bigger rims, cyan, Feb-23-01 08:12 AM, #7
                               RE: Lower or bigger rims, emitsu97, Feb-23-01 08:40 AM, #8

TeamMichael_97RSFeb-22-01 02:01 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#860, "RE: Lower or bigger rims"
In response to Reply # 0

I say go 17" first then lower, That's the order I'm doing them in. I have the wheels, no tires and God knows when the lower will happed. I just a planned a $2,000.00 job on my car, so I'll be lucky to have tires soon.

"To strive to seek to find... and not to yield."
Michael J. Kulaga
Michael_97RS@2gntDSM.zzn.com
aol IM: MJKulga
http://highlander.dsmpower.com/

Firefly:
Mal: You don't know me, son, so let me put this to you plainly: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

MYBISHIFeb-22-01 04:23 PM
Old School 2GNTer
46 posts,
#861, "RE: Lower or bigger rims"
In response to Reply # 1

I was going through the same thing when i got my eclipse about a year ago. I went 17in. rims first and then dropped it about 3 weeks ago. I love it. There is very little gap in the front and almost no gap in the back. It looked about the same with my stock rims on too. I take things a little bit slower in my car but it's really not that bad. I thought i would be scraping on everything but i'm not. If you go with 17in. you will still have a nice size gap. I actually just built a web page about my eclipse and all i have is one old picture of my car when i had no mods yet. The picture does have my 17in. rims on with NO drop. If you are more concerned about that gap than wheels, i would go drop. It's well worth it in my opinion. I hope this helps.

*I'm kinda new to building web pages so i hope that everything shows up.

-MYBISHI
http://www.geocities.com/da_shaw

cyanFeb-22-01 07:23 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
#862, "RE: Lower or bigger rims"
In response to Reply # 2

why not do both?
http://www.geocities.com/blue2gnt
blue2gnt@hotmail.com AOL IM - ThreeRedDiamonds

1995 Eclipse GS - HRC Stage 2 - Retired.
2004 350z Enthusiast / 2008 Nissan Versa SL

emitsu97Feb-23-01 12:22 AM
Old School 2GNTer
63 posts,
#863, "RE: Lower or bigger rims"
In response to Reply # 3

I'll probably go rims first but nic ones are so stickin' expensive. Any suggestions on some nice chrome racing wheels? Or just straight racing wheels? My girlfriends the one that likes the chromed up look but I'm not so thrilled with chrome 'cause of the extra cost and weight. I've always kind of been a fan of OZ's.

TeamMichael_97RSFeb-23-01 03:38 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#864, "RE: Lower or bigger rims"
In response to Reply # 4

added weight of chrome? A chrome wheel shouldn't weigh any more than the same rim polished or painted,

"To strive to seek to find... and not to yield."
Michael J. Kulaga
Michael_97RS@2gntDSM.zzn.com
aol IM: MJKulga
http://highlander.dsmpower.com/

Firefly:
Mal: You don't know me, son, so let me put this to you plainly: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed.

emitsu97Feb-23-01 04:25 AM
Old School 2GNTer
63 posts,
#865, "RE: Lower or bigger rims"
In response to Reply # 5

That's what I've been told. Most everything I say comes from something I've read or heard. I haven't done any major mods so I can't speak from experience on a lot of things, that's why I'm here. There's nowhere else to get the most accurate information than from the people who know from expereince.

cyanFeb-23-01 08:12 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
#866, "RE: Lower or bigger rims"
In response to Reply # 6

well ive had two sets of silver 18s which were both at least 28lbs per wheel as well as the stock 16 inch alloys. all three of those are heavier than my 19inch chrome ones, which are only 25.3lbs each. its not the chrome that adds weight its just the process and materials that make the wheel. the chrome probably adds about a pound at the most to the wheel, if that
just be sure youre up to the task of polishing/cleaning the wheels at least once a day if you get chrome, or else youd be wasting your time and money without taking care of them.
http://www.geocities.com/blue2gnt
blue2gnt@hotmail.com AOL IM - ThreeRedDiamonds

1995 Eclipse GS - HRC Stage 2 - Retired.
2004 350z Enthusiast / 2008 Nissan Versa SL

emitsu97Feb-23-01 08:40 AM
Old School 2GNTer
63 posts,
#867, "RE: Lower or bigger rims"
In response to Reply # 7

Yeah, that's the other thing. I like making sure my car is clean but the amount of brake dust and dirt around where I live would drive me crazy if I had chrome. Not to mention gravel dinks and scratches.

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #859 Previous topic | Next topic