Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #8524
View in linear mode

Subject: "Went to ARD didn't sell me TOK Blue's" Previous topic | Next topic
pancitoApr-09-02 04:43 PM
Old School 2GNTer
460 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8524, "Went to ARD didn't sell me TOK Blue's"

I just went to ARD in San Diego (Chula Vista) in need of new shocks, i got there and try to order blue's but he ask what kind of car, and if it was lowered, i told him yes, and he refuse to sell me the blues i have to buy KYB AGX, those are the only ones that i could get my hands on and for 107 each they are noth cheap. It was just BS? or is he right?

He mentioned that he did like 4 or 5 warranty's in the blue's and all on lowered cars
95 RS

fernando_valdez@hotmail.com

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Went to ARD didn't sell me TOK Blue's, iamnotwhoiam, Apr-09-02 04:58 PM, #1
RE: Went to ARD didn't sell me TOK Blue's, Fast420A, Apr-09-02 05:25 PM, #2
      RE: Went to ARD didn't sell me TOK Blue's, Teameclipse804, Apr-09-02 05:59 PM, #3
           RE: Went to ARD didn't sell me TOK Blue's, fasterGS, Apr-09-02 07:04 PM, #4
                RE: Went to ARD didn't sell me TOK Blue's, fauchpj, Apr-09-02 11:46 PM, #5
                     RE: Went to ARD didn't sell me TOK Blue's, pn0ymahal, Apr-10-02 12:07 AM, #6
                          RE: Went to ARD didn't sell me TOK Blue's, trwebb26, Apr-10-02 12:17 AM, #7
                               RE: Went to ARD didn't sell me TOK Blue's, pancito, Apr-10-02 03:35 AM, #8
                                    RE: Went to ARD didn't sell me TOK Blue's, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Apr-10-02 04:28 AM, #9
                                    RE: Went to ARD didn't sell me TOK Blue's, Fast420A, Apr-10-02 04:29 AM, #10
                                         RE: Went to ARD didn't sell me TOK Blue's, pancito, Apr-10-02 06:10 AM, #11
                                              RE: Went to ARD didn't sell me TOK Blue's, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Apr-10-02 07:11 AM, #12
                                                   RE: Went to ARD didn't sell me TOK Blue's, TeamDeanoD, Apr-11-02 01:20 AM, #13
                                                        RE: Went to ARD didn't sell me TOK Blue's, SonicYan, Apr-11-02 04:36 AM, #14
                                                             RE: Went to ARD didn't sell me TOK Blue's, TeamDeanoD, Apr-11-02 10:11 AM, #15
                                                                  RE: Went to ARD didn't sell me TOK Blue's, pancito, Apr-11-02 11:53 AM, #16

iamnotwhoiamApr-09-02 04:58 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2361 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8525, "RE: Went to ARD didn't sell me TOK Blue's"
In response to Reply # 0

sounded like bs to me.. i have no idea why he wouldnt sell you the blues.. check out www.optauto.com you can get illuminas for 80 a piece or blues for 75 a piece. might be worth your while.

-Jason

97 Talon ESi-T (forever in progress...)

95 GS (Gone)
16.74@83.18mph
119.8 whp - 113.3 lbs/ft

2GNT #677
My Wiki Page: www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=Iamnotwhoiam
Pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/iamnotwhoiam/Talon/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Fast420AApr-09-02 05:25 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4370 posts,
#8526, "RE: Went to ARD didn't sell me TOK Blue's"
In response to Reply # 1

On our cars KYB AGX have the problem of bottoming out up front if you are really low due to less shock travel. This can be fixed with custom work or the ground control plates that are an option to their coilovers. All in all I like my AGX for their adjustablity and would buy them again.

________________________________________________________________________________________
current status - No 3rd Gear synchro

http://hometown.aol.com/ohshootuhh/
www.Fast420A.com

Flame Red SRT-4 GT40,8.5:1 Built Shortblock, Brian Crower Stage 2 Cams, etc etc etc...

Teameclipse804Apr-09-02 05:59 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#8527, "RE: Went to ARD didn't sell me TOK Blue's"
In response to Reply # 2

The warranty thing seems to be true. It seems that quite a few people have had to get their tokikos blues replaced. The AGX shock is an inch longer than stock in the fronts, so they are not generally recommended because you get less travel. I would get the tokiko illuminas if you could afford it, around 420 a set, or the KYB GR-2 non adjustables for 240 a set. The GR-2's are a bit stiffer than stock, and decent. I have them.

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

fasterGSApr-09-02 07:04 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3879 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#8528, "RE: Went to ARD didn't sell me TOK Blue's"
In response to Reply # 3

Tokico blues can only be lowered to a certain point before it voids the warranty. Its less than two inches because I was told tokico wouldnt cover mine if I blew one of them. Maybe he is just worried about that. Tell the guy to sell you what you want.. money talks.

fauchpjApr-09-02 11:46 PM
Donating 2GNT member
4784 posts,
#8529, "RE: Went to ARD didn't sell me TOK Blue's"
In response to Reply # 4

these are the cheapest:
http://www.gmpperformance.com/products/suspension/shocks/tokico_shocks.htm

pn0ymahalApr-10-02 12:07 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2621 posts,
#8530, "RE: Went to ARD didn't sell me TOK Blue's"
In response to Reply # 5

well personally i had the blues, and two of mine blew recently after 1yr as of right now they are still at tokico for inspection etc... i just got the adjust now it pretty cool if you adjust them alot... but as far as the warrentyyyy its true tokico told me when i called them if its lowered its not covered at

Michael 99gs
Boost It!
Mods:
no time to put in yet: s-fmu,injectors, and crane ignition.
Hrc Stage 2
Greddy Type S Bov
VC-2
Road Race Catch Can
Greddy Profec B & Switch
Apexi WS Catback
Super Afc
Autometer Boost,
Egt,Tranny Temp Gauge & Cooler
Air/Fuel Light & Digital
Tokico Adjust Struts
Eibach Pro Kit Springs
Front & Rear Upper Bar
CarCraft Interior
Sound System= Bring it On

Michael
99gs hrc stage 5000 SOLD...
2004 Honda Accord V6 (240 hp)stock
what other car should i buy?? hmmm
Car info & pictures at http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/520269

trwebb26Apr-10-02 12:17 AM
Old School 2GNTer
347 posts,
#8531, "RE: Went to ARD didn't sell me TOK Blue's"
In response to Reply # 6

i'm sure the guy at ARD doesn't carry tokico and he gets more money if you buy KYB... Gotta be careful with those guys at speed shops... they'll take every cent you have if you let them. Good to run it by us first.

Tim
trwebb26@yahoo.com
White 1999 GS - Manual Tranny
Mods: B&M Shifter, Symbroski Shifter Kit, RRE SS Clutch Line, AEM Short Ram Intake, Clear Side Markers, GS

pancitoApr-10-02 03:35 AM
Old School 2GNTer
460 posts,
#8532, "RE: Went to ARD didn't sell me TOK Blue's"
In response to Reply # 7

Thanks guys, i did buy the AGX in the back, but i still have to buy the front's do you guys recomend AGX all around, or do i change to illuminas in the front, since i have adjustable shocks in the rear, i will stay that whay in the front. BUT Iluminas or AGX?

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneApr-10-02 04:28 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#8533, "RE: Went to ARD didn't sell me TOK Blue's"
In response to Reply # 8

If you aren't lowered much, i'd say go ahead and get the AGX. If you're lowered more than about 1.5", get something else, because the AGX strut body is way longer than stock and you will bottom out on it, as well as ride rough..

I don't recommend AGX's for lowered cars at all. The guy at that shop probably doesn't realize there is an issue with the AGX on our car.

Frnakly, i'd say get the blues. Tokico advertises them as MADE for a lowered car.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Fast420AApr-10-02 04:29 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4370 posts,
#8534, "RE: Went to ARD didn't sell me TOK Blue's"
In response to Reply # 8

It depends on how low you are in the front. We mentioned that the front AGX are longer and reduce the shock travel so if you are really low DON'T get them or you'll be bottoming out a lot.

________________________________________________________________________________________
current status - No 3rd Gear synchro

http://hometown.aol.com/ohshootuhh/
www.Fast420A.com

Flame Red SRT-4 GT40,8.5:1 Built Shortblock, Brian Crower Stage 2 Cams, etc etc etc...

pancitoApr-10-02 06:10 AM
Old School 2GNTer
460 posts,
#8535, "RE: Went to ARD didn't sell me TOK Blue's"
In response to Reply # 10

For what i saw, the AGX are SHORTER then the rest of them..so they will not bottom out. That is what i saw.Are we talking about different Shocks? once again they are for the back

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneApr-10-02 07:11 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#8536, "RE: Went to ARD didn't sell me TOK Blue's"
In response to Reply # 11

It is specifically the FRONT AGX's that are the problem. The strut body itself is longer, which leaves a shorter strut rod, and less travel. A fully decompressed AGX only has about 4-5" of strut shaft that can travel. it is worse after it settles, and on a lowered car, you could be looking at an actual 2" of free travel before you are sitting on the bumpstop - not good for a smooth ride.

Look at this pic.

See how much longer the AGX is than the rest?

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

TeamDeanoDApr-11-02 01:20 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1099 posts,
#8537, "RE: Went to ARD didn't sell me TOK Blue's"
In response to Reply # 12

Tokico struts are made for tokcio springs. They are listed to lower the car 1.5 inches. The springs are slightly stiffer than an eibach sportline(stock feel 1.8 inch drop) and slightly softer than an eibach prokit(1.3 inch drop). I have never bottomed out my struts on normal roads or autocrossing for 40K miles. I have the bump stops cut 1/2. I also have aftermarket sways

The struts do feel like they have slightly less damping than they did when new. The compression feels the same as new. I have abused these struts and if you are lowered 1.5 or less, you will have no problems.

97 RS(PTE SC-61, Built Long Block, Electromotive Tec 3)It's Here!

SonicYanApr-11-02 04:36 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1560 posts,
#8538, "RE: Went to ARD didn't sell me TOK Blue's"
In response to Reply # 13

Ok, so will someone please clarify what u all just said? So Tokico Blues aren't recommended then for drops lower than 1.5? I just put on Tokico Blues with Eibach Sportlines. Dan(sd_eclipse) also told me that struts have been replaced under warranty already. Does this mean that I might blow them up again? Please tell me that's not the case..

SonicYan aka Mikey
1997 Eclipse RS
Pinoy Reppin' SoCal 2GNT
Best: 16.35 @ 83.05 MPH

TeamDeanoDApr-11-02 10:11 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1099 posts,
#8539, "RE: Went to ARD didn't sell me TOK Blue's"
In response to Reply # 14

I am only speaking from my personal experience. If they last 40K miles with my abuse, you should not have a problem being dropped 1.5 inches or less.

My buddy ran a 97GST w/sportlines and blues. He only had them on the car 18 months, but he had no problems. He autocrossed his car twice and mostly drag raced.

For a daily driven car with some abuse, sportlines w/blues should be fine. I suggest buying RRE front and rear camber kits as well. Or you can just buy lots of new tires every couple of months.

97 RS(PTE SC-61, Built Long Block, Electromotive Tec 3)It's Here!

pancitoApr-11-02 11:53 AM
Old School 2GNTer
460 posts,
#8540, "RE: Went to ARD didn't sell me TOK Blue's"
In response to Reply # 15

So the final "ideal" setup for me, is Tokiko Iluminas in the front, and the already installed KYB AGX in the back...Thanks guys i was going to get AGX but since a saw the picture that Dino posted i will take it to ARD so they look at them and see the difference...

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #8524 Previous topic | Next topic