Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #793
View in linear mode

Subject: "Urgent to anyone with coilovers..." Previous topic | Next topic
cyanFeb-15-01 08:29 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#793, "Urgent to anyone with coilovers..."

well i installed my front coilovers today (maxspeeds) but didnt get the koni struts yet,so theyre on the OEM struts. i knocked off the spring perch and the coilover perch is sitting at the bottom of the collar. but once i started driving im hearing all kinds of clinking and clanking noises coming from the front suspension. i checked the lug nuts, strut tower nuts,and they were all tight. do any of you others with coilovers have this problem with noise? do you think it may be the stock strut causing the springs to bottom out? i think it may be the spring hitting against the collar but cant think of a way to fix this. but if i get aftermarket struts will i be adding suspension travel? this is what i need most cause the springs are almost fully compressed when the car is sitting still so i bottom out on almost any bump.
anyone know about any of these questions let me know
http://www.geocities.com/blue2gnt

1995 Eclipse GS - HRC Stage 2 - Retired.
2004 350z Enthusiast / 2008 Nissan Versa SL

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Urgent to anyone with coilovers..., EclipseGS1997, Feb-16-01 03:39 AM, #1
Howd ya knock off the perch?, Teameclipse804, Feb-16-01 07:40 AM, #2
RE: Howd ya knock off the perch?, BLKOUT, Feb-16-01 12:38 PM, #3
      Skunkworks, Teameclipse804, Feb-17-01 03:57 PM, #12
           RE: Skunkworks, BLKOUT, Feb-17-01 05:25 PM, #13
RE: Urgent to anyone with coilovers..., Teamicjeclipse, Feb-16-01 01:40 PM, #4
RE: Urgent to anyone with coilovers..., cyan, Feb-16-01 03:01 PM, #5
      RE: Urgent to anyone with coilovers..., klipzracer, Feb-16-01 04:22 PM, #6
           RE: Urgent to anyone with coilovers..., Skrilla, Feb-16-01 05:11 PM, #7
RE: Urgent to anyone with coilovers..., VxROxV, Feb-16-01 06:27 PM, #8
anyones coilovers settle more than a couple days after installation?, cyan, Feb-16-01 06:48 PM, #9
      RE: anyones coilovers settle more than a couple days after installation?, klipzracer, Feb-16-01 07:55 PM, #10
           cut the bumpstops, cyan, Feb-17-01 03:36 PM, #11
                Knocking off perches???, Kahn, Feb-17-01 06:08 PM, #14
                     RE: Knocking off perches???, cyan, Feb-17-01 08:16 PM, #15
                     RE: Knocking off perches???, Teameclipse804, Feb-18-01 03:24 PM, #18
                     RE: Knocking off perches???, cyan, Feb-17-01 08:16 PM, #16
                     RE: Knocking off perches???, Teamicjeclipse, Feb-18-01 02:47 PM, #17
                          OK i feel like a complete jackass, cyan, Feb-19-01 03:08 PM, #19

EclipseGS1997Feb-16-01 03:39 AM
Old School 2GNTer
40 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#794, "RE: Urgent to anyone with coilovers..."
In response to Reply # 0

Dude, i used to have these same coilovers and IMO, they suck bad. like you said, when the car is just sitting, its almosy bottomed out. i had Tokico struts with mine, and it dtill did this. the struts wont help your travle much if any. i had to adjust mine ALL the way to the top, as far as they would go up, to get rid of some of the clanking noise. even then, if there was even a SMALL ridge in the road, POW, the front end bottomed out hard. i didnt try to to anything to mine, i just yanked them out and sold them. but you might try cutting the bumpstops some, i didnt do this and it might help a little, but i doubt very much.

1997 Eclipse
AEM CAI
Greddy Evo Exhaust
Groundcontrol coils/Tokico Shocks
AFX Underdrive Pulley
Soon to be BOOOOOSTIN!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Teameclipse804Feb-16-01 07:40 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#795, "Howd ya knock off the perch?"
In response to Reply # 0

Hey Cyan, congrats on getting it installed. I still haven't gotten mine yet. How did you knock off the spring perch on the shock? I'm gonna have to do it soon...

eclipse804@hotmail.com
http://importdeals.homestead.com
Import Parts and Performance

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

BLKOUTFeb-16-01 12:38 PM
Old School 2GNTer
218 posts,
#796, "RE: Howd ya knock off the perch?"
In response to Reply # 2

I'm not sure what noise your car is making, but my skunk2's are VERY noisy! My car doesn't ever bottom out or ride rough, it's just that the springs make alot of noise. I can hear them every time I go over a bump. I guess it's because theres no rubber seats for the springs to sit-on, it's just metal on metal. Everything is put together right and the car rides fine, so I guess that's the way it's supposed to be. I don't know anyone around here who has coil-overs so I can't compare.
Joe
97 GS w/ Hahn stage 2
Keep cruisin' & keep the shiny side up.
http://joeseclipse.homestead.com

Yeah I got two tens in the back...two ten pound bottles!!!!

Joe
97 GS w/ HRC stage 2 +

Teameclipse804Feb-17-01 03:57 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#797, "Skunkworks"
In response to Reply # 3

Hey, what kind of shocks do you have with your skunkworks coilovers? I just told my parts guy to get me the skunks because the vspecs took too long to get, but should I stay away from it? How is the ride?

Icjeclipse, do you have any probs with noise on your skunks?

eclipse804@hotmail.com

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl

BLKOUTFeb-17-01 05:25 PM
Old School 2GNTer
218 posts,
#798, "RE: Skunkworks"
In response to Reply # 12

No i don't have any probs with my Skunk2's. I have them installed on AGX's. The ride is nice, not bouncy or too stiff. The noise that I get is because I have them set so low I guess. I would recommend them though, they are nice quality.
Joe
97 GS w/ Hahn stage 2
Keep cruisin' & keep the shiny side up.
http://joeseclipse.homestead.com

Yeah I got two tens in the back...two ten pound bottles!!!!

Joe
97 GS w/ HRC stage 2 +

TeamicjeclipseFeb-16-01 01:40 PM
Old School 2GNTer
871 posts,
#799, "RE: Urgent to anyone with coilovers..."
In response to Reply # 0

I have my Skunks in the front on stock struts and it never makes a squeek. But my rears on Tokicos make so much damn noise i want to take them out. Every bump i hear a squeek from the rear. Maybe that will go away when i grind off the perches of the Tokicos.

Ian
95 Eclipse RS
http://www.geocities.com/icjeclipse/index.html

Ian | SoCal | Former 2GNT owner |
2GNT mods & pics: www.go.to/dsmdomination |
email: icjeclipse@earthlink.net |

cyanFeb-16-01 03:01 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
#800, "RE: Urgent to anyone with coilovers..."
In response to Reply # 4

to knock off the perch all you have to do is hold the strut with the piston facing down and tap the perch off with a hammer. it doesnt take any force at all. i have mine all the way down but the rubber o-rings are so thin it doesnt make any difference.

klipzracerFeb-16-01 04:22 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4006 posts,
#801, "RE: Urgent to anyone with coilovers..."
In response to Reply # 5

That's exactly why i went with drop springs instead of coilovers cause i've heard about eclipses and coilovers being like oil and water. Oh well, guess it's personal preference. I got Tenzo R 2" drop rides decent and doesn't make any funky noises.

chris
Project RS
"I wish my car was a chick magnet....instead it's a cop magnet!"
chrisdishmon@hotmail.com
http://www.geocities.com/chrisdishmon/project_rs.html

SkrillaFeb-16-01 05:11 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
#802, "RE: Urgent to anyone with coilovers..."
In response to Reply # 6

C'mon dude, you know you can't say that EVERY Slipover Coil is like that and provides problems, thats mighty stereotypic of you to simply associate ALL CO with 2 sets of Maxspeeds. My setup is fine as well as several others. Even the stock suspension bounces with unfamiliar metal and clanging. I wanted the flexibility of remaining at stock height with a stiffer suspension and no drop until I got better at the new driving characteristics. Now I'm pretty low myself and can get back to stock height if needed. I like it a lot and costs me less than $700 while still maintaining all the flexibility I wanted.

Skrilla
'97 Base Talon NA
"Technology is the Only Substitute for Displacment"
"Peace and Turbo Grease"

*Skrilla
"Honest officer, I thought you were trying to race me"
Talon: 1st 2.4L
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by YourInMyMirror95GS
dick teaser's should be rounded up and shot in the forehead
Originally posted by etx
Good luck man! Project 'STFU Brian your talon is dead meat' should be on it's feet soon!
Originally posted by Dark0ne
Thanks. Now excuse me while i fuck your sister.
"fuck all motor" -turbo ate you

VxROxVFeb-16-01 06:27 PM
Old School 2GNTer
43 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#803, "RE: Urgent to anyone with coilovers..."
In response to Reply # 0

Damn... Sorry to hear about your situation CYan... wish i could help... Ive installed coilovers on 2g Eclipses, VIS/WEAPON-R/MAXSPEED/SKUNK and mine GCs... ive never heard any clanking noise other than when i go sideways on a steep drive way and the struts will stretch max and the springs will fall and land back on the tower perch... Same goes for the people ive installed struts on... Although skunkworks coilovers do have some clanking sound but i think thats cuz of the metal top cover... hmm... wish you lived close by so i can personally look into your suspension...

RO

cyanFeb-16-01 06:48 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
#804, "anyones coilovers settle more than a couple days after installation?"
In response to Reply # 8

well if there are no problems with any of the other coilovers youve installed, then there is obviously some problem with mine. since its a metallic clang,i assume its not the struts (though those will be shot pretty soon anyway) so its gotta be the collar spring assembly because we put everthing back together correctly. the metal top hat on the maxspeeds may be the culprit, but like i said i have the rubber rings between the top hat and the spring (forgot to put the ring on the drivers side though) should i buy some thicker rings and put those in there? and another thing,what is up with this drop im getting? i put the perches at the bottom of the collar but it only looks like my car is dropped another inch (2.5 total) i know they will settle but they should have done so by now and they are still sitting pretty high (i can fit my thumb between the tire and the fender but my tires are larger than stock by about a half-inch on each sidewall, so i dont know) but before the coilovers i had 1.75" progress springs with about 1.5" of gap and according to the 3.25 inch drop the CO's claim, i should now have exactly zero gap,but i have about a half inch. anyone else with CO's experience settling more than a couple of days after their install?

klipzracerFeb-16-01 07:55 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4006 posts,
#805, "RE: anyones coilovers settle more than a couple days after installation?"
In response to Reply # 9

Nah, I wasn't saying that all coilovers are like that. I just get that impression with most of them cause I never heard of a set that was actually perfect on an eclipse. I could be wrong but from my friends experience I haven't saw any yet. But I notice most of the Honduh guys don't seem to have a problem with
theirs. Most of the Integras and Civics seem to react to coilovers better than our cars. most eclipses I've seen with the Skunks, Ground Control's and Maxspeed's bounce like they had switchs. I would like to see someone try the new Weapon R coilovers(the ones with the dual springs) cause the look pretty applacable to fixing a lot of the problems with coilovers.

chris
Project RS
"I wish my car was a chick magnet....instead it's a cop magnet!"
chrisdishmon@hotmail.com
http://www.geocities.com/chrisdishmon/project_rs.html

cyanFeb-17-01 03:36 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
#806, "cut the bumpstops"
In response to Reply # 10

i dont even have the bumpstops in there, they dont serve a function with coilovers because they would just sit there inside the spring between the spring and the strut piston, so why should i even use them? i know this noise im hearing is not normal,there is no way,it clanks all the time,not just on bumps, i hate this shit

KahnFeb-17-01 06:08 PM
Old School 2GNTer
431 posts,
#807, "Knocking off perches???"
In response to Reply # 11

Okay guys - please help me on this one - anyone with coilover instructions and a scanner please email me. Also why and what do you guys mean by knocking off the perches - what do the coils sit on if you knock off the perches. I have some APC coilovers sitting in my closet waiting to be installed but I don't want to go in blind - I got them used. Thanks.

2003 VW GTI 1.8t.. I used to have a 95 Eclipse but well...water sucks.

cyanFeb-17-01 08:16 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
#808, "RE: Knocking off perches???"
In response to Reply # 14

ok the perch itself sits on a little metal bump that is part of the shock body. on stock struts and koni yellows you can just kit the perch in the oposite direction of the metal ledge and it will come off, youll see once oyu have them out. the install is not hard as far as what you have to do,but its a bitch to actually do it. even if all your bolts come out and arent stripped its still a huge pain in the ass to get the damper fork out of the way enough to get the bottom of teh strut out and then getting the sway bar links bolted back in
its worth the $100-150 for installation is all i know. BUT...if you plan on doing suspension work several times (such as changing shocks after the coilovers, or changing coilovers later on if you hate yours (if you have maxspeeds) then do it yourself,that way you can do all future suspension work. it is so much easier after doing it the first time. i had to do the front drivers suspension twice because i put it back together the first time without taking off the perches and my car was sitting higher than stock height, and of all things i had serious positive camber. THAT was funny!

Teameclipse804Feb-18-01 03:24 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#809, "RE: Knocking off perches???"
In response to Reply # 15

Hey Cyan, for the install, is coilovers any harder than normal lowering spring installation (aside from the perch issue). It should be exactly same right? I'm going to be installing them soon...

eclipse804@hotmail.com

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl

cyanFeb-17-01 08:16 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
#810, "RE: Knocking off perches???"

ok the perch itself sits on a little metal bump that is part of the shock body. on stock struts and koni yellows you can just hit the perch in the oposite direction of the metal ledge and it will come off, youll see once oyu have them out. the install is not hard as far as what you have to do,but its a bitch to actually do it. even if all your bolts come out and arent stripped its still a huge pain in the ass to get the damper fork out of the way enough to get the bottom of teh strut out and then getting the sway bar links bolted back in
its worth the $100-150 for installation is all i know. BUT...if you plan on doing suspension work several times (such as changing shocks after the coilovers, or changing coilovers later on if you hate yours (if you have maxspeeds) then do it yourself,that way you can do all future suspension work. it is so much easier after doing it the first time. i had to do the front drivers suspension twice because i put it back together the first time without taking off the perches and my car was sitting higher than stock height, and of all things i had serious positive camber. THAT was funny!

TeamicjeclipseFeb-18-01 02:47 PM
Old School 2GNTer
871 posts,
#811, "RE: Knocking off perches???"

check out http://www.vfaq.com for a detailed coil-over install.

Ian
95 Eclipse RS
http://www.geocities.com/icjeclipse/index.html

Ian | SoCal | Former 2GNT owner |
2GNT mods & pics: www.go.to/dsmdomination |
email: icjeclipse@earthlink.net |

cyanFeb-19-01 03:08 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
#812, "OK i feel like a complete jackass"
In response to Reply # 17

well it turns out the maxspeed coilovers are actually pretty good. i solved all my clanking noises, turns out it was the single shock nuts on top of each strut were a little loose. now how this causes the amount of noise i was getting is beyond me,but that solved it,so if your installing your CO's be sure to tighten them completely

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #793 Previous topic | Next topic