Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #781
View in linear mode

Subject: "Lower Rear Tie Bar" Previous topic | Next topic
trickedeclipseFeb-15-01 03:04 PM
Old School 2GNTer
438 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#781, "Lower Rear Tie Bar"

I recently was skimming the items on Ebay, and came across a guy selling a rear lower tie bar for the 95-99 eclipse non-turbo. I'm not sure what brand it is, but I bidded at $39 and was quickly outbidded. I wasn't sure how good the tie bar is, so I didn't bid any higher. I recieved an email the next day offering to sell me the tie bar for $39.99. I ordered it and now have it sitting in my bed room, it's too cold out to put it on. Does anyone have anything similar on their eclipse?? The guy told me they are strictly for the RS/GS. Just wondering if I am going to run into a problem when it's actually time for the install. It looks exactly like an upper strut tower brace only alot shorter and the ends are smaller.

1996 Talon Esi - Eclipse rear end

-PJ
'96 ESI-NOS Talon / '02 Subaru WRX

"Making Dreams Reality"

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
I have one..., Skrilla, Feb-15-01 03:50 PM, #1
RE: Lower Rear Tie Bar, TeamJasonESi_T, Feb-16-01 03:41 AM, #2
RE: Lower Rear Tie Bar, js99rs, Feb-16-01 06:16 AM, #3
      apples and oranges, TeamDeanoD, Feb-16-01 07:43 AM, #4
           RE: apples and oranges, Team96NOS_Eclipse, Feb-16-01 08:49 AM, #5
           RE: apples and oranges, TeamJasonESi_T, Feb-16-01 09:00 AM, #6
           RE: apples and oranges, Moderatorjuan, Feb-16-01 01:29 PM, #7
           RE: apples and oranges, TeamMichael_97RS, Feb-18-01 03:23 PM, #8
                Do you have a totally stock suspension, TeamDeanoD, Feb-19-01 01:43 AM, #9
                     RE: Do you have a totally stock suspension, TeamMichael_97RS, Feb-19-01 04:12 AM, #10
                          I would not have believed it,, TeamDeanoD, Feb-19-01 10:42 AM, #11

SkrillaFeb-15-01 03:50 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1868 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#782, "I have one..."
In response to Reply # 0

...made by Matrix(OBX). It is very functional, but you will only notice the difference after removing it. I installed both my rears at the same time. If you want to take corners faster with less tire squeel and sharper turn-in this is what you need.

Skrilla
'97 Base Talon NA
"Technology is the Only Substitute for Displacment"
"Peace and Turbo Grease"

*Skrilla
"Honest officer, I thought you were trying to race me"
Talon: 1st 2.4L
'97 Prelude
'04 350Z

Originally posted by YourInMyMirror95GS
dick teaser's should be rounded up and shot in the forehead
Originally posted by etx
Good luck man! Project 'STFU Brian your talon is dead meat' should be on it's feet soon!
Originally posted by Dark0ne
Thanks. Now excuse me while i fuck your sister.
"fuck all motor" -turbo ate you

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TeamJasonESi_TFeb-16-01 03:41 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
#783, "RE: Lower Rear Tie Bar"
In response to Reply # 0

Who sold it to you for that price?

I'm looking for one myself and that price is unbeatable!

Thanks a lot!

Jason
98' Eagle Talon ESi-T
Mitsu Super 16g Turbo(HRC)

http://springfielddsm.homestead.com/JasonsPics.html

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX
98' Eagle Talon ESi (sold)

js99rsFeb-16-01 06:16 AM
Old School 2GNTer
332 posts,
#784, "RE: Lower Rear Tie Bar"
In response to Reply # 2

are you sure you can use that on an rs? i thought the gs+ had them stock but you had to make some changes for the rs?

-jason

TeamDeanoDFeb-16-01 07:43 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1099 posts,
#785, "apples and oranges"
In response to Reply # 3

The rear lower tie bar connects at the pivot bolts where your lower control arms attach. You are thinking swaybar and that is totally different. If someone has a RS or ESI without a rear swaybar conversion, adding a lower tie bar is pointless. I think adding any strut tower bars or lower tie bar before your car has aftermarket springs/struts and the rear sway bar is also pointless. The chassis does not flex enough in the factory setup to warrant stiffening the chassis. my nickels worth

DeanoD
1997RS-NeverTurbo
http://ar.dsm.org

97 RS(PTE SC-61, Built Long Block, Electromotive Tec 3)It's Here!

Team96NOS_EclipseFeb-16-01 08:49 AM
Old School 2GNTer
294 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#786, "RE: apples and oranges"
In response to Reply # 4

It does make a difference (with f&r strut tower braces) on a car with stock suspension I noticed alot less wheel hop and it felt stiffer going thru corners. As for the rear tie bar I just installed a pilot one. I got it for 45.00 from http://jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml?CATID=140429
plus you get free shipping.
Ray
96 Eclipse Base Model
Best 14.6@93 w/60 shot

1997 Eclipse RS
1991 Eclipse GSX
1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
1989 Dodge Daytona 2.5 turbo
(tinker car)
1996 Eclipse base model RIP

TeamJasonESi_TFeb-16-01 09:00 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
#787, "RE: apples and oranges"
In response to Reply # 4

LAST EDITED ON 16-Feb-01 AT 02:01 PM (PST)

I'm not one to dispute which should go first, but it's certainly the next step in the natural progression of suspension equipment in my car.

I've already done the lower arm conversion/rear GS-T sway bar in my car as well as a new lowering suspension all the way around. I already have a Rear strut tower bar on order, and the lower tie bar would just about complete my setup.

Those damn RM sway bars are definitely down the road. Like I said before though, my wish list would scare away Santa!

I had a whole lot more money before I met you guys!!!

Jason
98' Eagle Talon ESi-T
Mitsu Super 16g Turbo(HRC)

http://springfielddsm.homestead.com/JasonsPics.html

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX
98' Eagle Talon ESi (sold)

ModeratorjuanFeb-16-01 01:29 PM
Donating 2GNT member
817 posts,
#788, "RE: apples and oranges"
In response to Reply # 4

LAST EDITED ON 16-Feb-01 AT 06:32 PM (PST)

I did not notice any difference with my front STB (cheap Taiwan style) on or off. In fact, I took it out as I find it more of a benefit to have easy access to the oil cap. I believe top STBs don't do a whole lot on a stock suspension car. There is enough slop in the suspension bushings to take up any movement before chassis stiffness even comes into play.

This is a bit of a religious argument, however, and a lot of people believe they feel a change after they install a particular part because they spent money on it. Sort of a psyhosomatic thing - you feel it cause your brain thinks it should. Only way to know for sure if people can tell there was a change is by using one of these two techniques:

- have a professional driver run several laps on a track without the mod, then install it and observe for any changes in lap times.

- do a double blind experiment, where someone installs the bar without you knowing about it and see if you notice anything afterwards.

I do have the ES shock tower bushings installed now, which are much stiffer than stock, so I might actually notice an improvement. But I'm gonna wait till I can get a really stiff STB like RREs tubular steel ones. Those flimsy tubular aluminum kinds are more for looks than function, IMO.

juan

TeamMichael_97RSFeb-18-01 03:23 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#789, "RE: apples and oranges"
In response to Reply # 4

Deano I'm going to disagree, I've got strut tower bars rear upper and lower and front upper with Skrilla getting me a front lower and I definately noticed the diference once I did the install. And I wish I payed $40 for mine instead $80 from Extrememotorsports.

"To strive to seek to find... and not to yield."
Michael J. Kulaga
Michael_97RS@2gntDSM.zzn.com
aol IM: MJKulga
http://highlander.dsmpower.com/

Firefly:
Mal: You don't know me, son, so let me put this to you plainly: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed.

TeamDeanoDFeb-19-01 01:43 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1099 posts,
#790, "Do you have a totally stock suspension"
In response to Reply # 8

Stock springs, stock struts and no rear sway bar conversion?

The only upgrade is JUST the front upper/rear upper strut tower bars and rear lower tie bar. You are saying that with just these three bars added to your car, your car handles better, steers quicker and is more responsive to input.

I did not think that with a stock suspension there would be enough chassis flex to warrant adding these bars.

DeanoD
1997RS-NeverTurbo

TeamMichael_97RSFeb-19-01 04:12 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#791, "RE: Do you have a totally stock suspension"
In response to Reply # 9

Yep she's still bone stock suspension except the bars. Maybe it's because I don't have a rear sway bar that I noticed it as much. But I do get a noticable difference when I take a turn. take a sharp turn at 25 or 30 where I would get wheel spin before I don't get any now and the car feels more solid. I still have body roll I need to get rid of (RM sway bars and NRG Susp bushings) but it feels better than it did.

"To strive to seek to find... and not to yield."
Michael J. Kulaga
Michael_97RS@2gntDSM.zzn.com
aol IM: MJKulga
http://highlander.dsmpower.com/

Firefly:
Mal: You don't know me, son, so let me put this to you plainly: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed.

TeamDeanoDFeb-19-01 10:42 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1099 posts,
#792, "I would not have believed it,"
In response to Reply # 10

but for you I will publically state that I stand corrected. Thanks for your input Michael!

DeanoD
1997RS-NeverTurbo

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #781 Previous topic | Next topic