Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #7696
View in linear mode

Subject: "brake time...couple ?'s" Previous topic | Next topic
97eclipseRSMar-19-02 07:39 AM
Old School 2GNTer
940 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7696, "brake time...couple ?'s"

my brakes have been squeeking a lot lately, and i'm goin' on a 300 mile trip this weekend, so i wanna get them done before that. i've got the factory brakes and rotors in the front and drums in the back. can i just replace the pads in the front w/ out turning the rotors, because i'm gonna get new rotors and do the rear conversion over the summer, so i just need some good brakes until then. also what are some good cheap pads that'll last me until then and where can i get them. i kinda need them before sat. also i don't know a whole lot about replacing drums...what do i need for them? sorry, i know some of this was discussed in the past, but the search function hasn't been working for me lately. tia

- Dan

HRC Stage 2|30lb injectors|S-FMU|Walbro255HP|AFX UDP|B&M Short Shifter w/ Symborski Shift Kit|Rear Strut Bar|Power Slot Rotors|more...

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

trwebb26Mar-19-02 08:35 AM
Old School 2GNTer
347 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#7697, "RE: brake time...couple ?'s"
In response to Reply # 0

Umm... the answer is yes...

Generally you only need to replace the rotors when they begin to warp (unless you want performance rotors). You know your rotors are warping when you brake... the car kind of rocks back and forth while it comes to a stop. If this hasn't happend to the rotors... they will be fine until you decide to upgrade (under normal conditions). If you are planning a brake upgrade later... I'd say just pick up some regular-ass pads at your local auto store and swap em' out. Braking power will be brought back to life - especially if your current pads are wore down where they are making noise (the little metal wear indicator is scraping on the rotor). Worry about performace pads and stuff when you upgrade the whole sha-bang later.

Tim
trwebb26@yahoo.com
White 1999 GS - Manual Tranny
Mods: B&M Shifter, Symbroski Shifter Kit, RRE SS Clutch Line, AEM Short Ram Intake, Clear Side Markers, GS

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

97eclipseRSMar-19-02 09:03 AM
Old School 2GNTer
940 posts,
#7698, "RE: brake time...couple ?'s"
In response to Reply # 1

ok thanks for the info, but now that i'm thinking about it, i might get these cross drilled rotors that someone posted about a couple days ago http://www.rsversion.com/details.asp?ProdID=101 . if i do, what pads would you guys recommend. then i'll do the drum conversion over the summer. now what about the rear drums now? i'm pretty sure they're squeaking too. what can i do to those now so they'll last until the summer? i don't know much about servicing drums.

- Dan

HRC Stage 2|30lb injectors|S-FMU|Walbro255HP|AFX UDP|B&M Short Shifter w/ Symborski Shift Kit|Rear Strut Bar|Power Slot Rotors|more...

HadesOmegaMar-19-02 06:35 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#7699, "RE: brake time...couple ?'s"
In response to Reply # 2

dang your brakes are that bad? Only time I've had a problem with my brakes is when I got fade o rama cuz I guess I glazed my pads autoxing.

You'll know your rotors are warped when you get a pulsating feeling from the pedal when you brake. Also if you look at your rotors it looks like certain spots of the rotors are shinier than others. My rear ones are warped I know that, got them from the junkyard like that

I'd recommend metal master pads, I got em and rarely fade them.

Plus if your car is more than 5 years old you might wanna get new brake lines of SS lines.

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

97eclipseRSMar-20-02 01:18 AM
Old School 2GNTer
940 posts,
#7700, "RE: brake time...couple ?'s"
In response to Reply # 3

i don't get a pulsating from the pedal, but under hard braking it does feel like the steering wheel shakes a little. could this be from minor warping? anyway, what do i need for the rear drums? do i just get them drum pads or resurface them?

- Dan

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #7696 Previous topic | Next topic