Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #6951
View in linear mode

Subject: "Limited Slip Conversion" This topic is locked.
Previous topic | Next topic
neovbFeb-21-02 02:15 AM
Old School 2GNTer
466 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6951, "Limited Slip Conversion"

Howell automotive sells the kit for 300$- limited slip should help a lot with traction but is it worth the price? Anyone know anything about it? Anyone ever get one of these installed in thier car? Thanks.

NeoVB
1997 Eclipse GS

NeoVB
2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS TURBO
1995 Mitsubishi Galant ES DOHC TURBO
1991 Eagle Talon TSI AWD

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Limited Slip Conversion, HadesOmega, Feb-21-02 09:24 AM, #1
RE: Limited Slip Conversion, Mystic511, Feb-21-02 06:27 PM, #2
RE: Limited Slip Conversion, HadesOmega, Feb-24-02 09:48 AM, #3
      RE: Limited Slip Conversion, TeamMuRiX, Feb-25-02 07:18 AM, #4
RE: Limited Slip Conversion, 98_eclipse, Jan-29-11 03:52 PM, #5
      RE: Limited Slip Conversion, 98_eclipse, Jan-29-11 03:58 PM, #6
      RE: Limited Slip Conversion, AdministratorCODE4, Jan-29-11 05:10 PM, #7

HadesOmegaFeb-21-02 09:24 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6952, "RE: Limited Slip Conversion"
In response to Reply # 0

What that does is lock your differential so both wheels spin. It'll give you traction if you wanna drag race I guess but for cornering I heard it sux...

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

Mystic511Feb-21-02 06:27 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1582 posts,
#6953, "RE: Limited Slip Conversion"
In response to Reply # 1

there are only two limited slip differentials that i know off,

first would be Phantom Grip, around $250, which is basically a fake LSD... it's just a mod for your open differential and changes it up. Some people have it, and they say it works really well for drag racing but sucks for cornering

second is Quaife limited slip, which is about 1200 bucks, true LSD and if you have the money, i recommend it.

16.1 @ 87.11
http://www.virtuallyinfamous.com

ARD 57mm tb and p&p manifold, Neuspeed STB, Pro-kits, Illuminas, Injen CAI with K&N, 2.5" pacesetter catback,
AF/X UDP, Rear STB, Powerslot rotors, RRE SS Brakelines.

HadesOmegaFeb-24-02 09:48 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#6954, "RE: Limited Slip Conversion"
In response to Reply # 2

Haha sounds similar huh I was talking about the Phantom Grip.... Yup my ultimate upgrade will be that Quife LSD some day when I can afford it. Just wondering but to get to the differential would you have to take open up the clutch? That might be a good time to get one

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

TeamMuRiXFeb-25-02 07:18 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1502 posts,
#6955, "RE: Limited Slip Conversion"
In response to Reply # 3

Some assembly required.

Stock on the left and the quaife on the right.

If you have to do the differential, it is easy enough to do the clutch at the same time.

A phantom grip is what they call a locker differential. It is an old muscle car trick carried over. I still do not like the idea of friction from metal on metal and it does not address the weakness of the stock differential.

The quaife is ATB (automatic Torque biasing) and is essentially gears and very strong.

You will also hear about clutch types (KAAZ) which allows you to preset the load change yet wears out like any clutch will (yet I have never actually heard of someone having to rebuild their diff from a worn out clutch) and viscous coupling which uses a fluid to transfer torque and comes in a GSX.

I am happy with the Quaife.

05 Mazda RX-8
06 Lotus Elise

98_eclipseJan-29-11 03:52 PM
Member since Aug 25th 2010
22 posts,
#33179, "RE: Limited Slip Conversion"
In response to Reply # 1

What about a variation of a Detroit locker differential? Anyone know if this is available for the eclipse.

98_eclipseJan-29-11 03:58 PM
Member since Aug 25th 2010
22 posts,
#33180, "RE: Limited Slip Conversion"
In response to Reply # 5

Being able to lock the diff in and out would be beneficial to people like me who live a place that has steep hills with Sharp corners but also a considerable amount of snow and ice in the winter.

AdministratorCODE4Jan-29-11 05:10 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#33181, "RE: Limited Slip Conversion"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by 98_eclipse
What about a variation of a Detroit locker differential? Anyone know if this is available for the eclipse.

Did you check Eaton's site? Also, check the thread dates. You brought back a thread from 2002.

---

2012 2500HD LML

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #6951 Previous topic | Next topic