Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #6779
View in linear mode

Subject: "Torque specs on Lug Nuts?" Previous topic | Next topic
Logic3Feb-17-02 09:41 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1227 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6779, "Torque specs on Lug Nuts?"

Put my Rated-R's back on yesterday but my car has been driving a lot different. My roomate and I think I might have tightened the lug nuts too tight...I'm not sure though. How many pounds are they suppose to torqued too. I hand torqued them this time but I'm about to go loosen them and re-torque them to see if that cures the problem...if not I guess I'll go get another alignment.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Torque specs on Lug Nuts?, Logic3, Feb-17-02 12:32 PM, #1
RE: Torque specs on Lug Nuts?, Amish_Eclipse, Feb-17-02 01:37 PM, #2
      RE: Torque specs on Lug Nuts?, ModeratoreclipzGST, Feb-17-02 02:56 PM, #3
           RE: Torque specs on Lug Nuts?, Logic3, Feb-17-02 05:05 PM, #4
                RE: Torque specs on Lug Nuts?, ModeratorVX100, Feb-18-02 01:26 AM, #5
RE: Torque specs on Lug Nuts?, mkerley, Feb-18-02 01:26 AM, #6
RE: Torque specs on Lug Nuts?, Logic3, Feb-18-02 05:38 AM, #7
      RE: Torque specs on Lug Nuts?, mkerley, Feb-18-02 06:33 AM, #8
           RE: Torque specs on Lug Nuts?, Logic3, Feb-18-02 06:55 AM, #9
                RE: Torque specs on Lug Nuts?, 1TuffRS, Feb-18-02 07:57 AM, #10
                     RE: Torque specs on Lug Nuts?, Logic3, Feb-18-02 08:12 AM, #11
                          UPDATE, Logic3, Feb-19-02 12:43 PM, #12
                               RE: UPDATE, Amish_Eclipse, Feb-19-02 02:12 PM, #13
                                    RE: UPDATE, Logic3, Feb-19-02 04:24 PM, #14
                                         RE: UPDATE, mkerley, Feb-20-02 04:39 AM, #15
                                              RE: UPDATE, Logic3, Feb-20-02 05:34 AM, #16

Logic3Feb-17-02 12:32 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1227 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#6780, "RE: Torque specs on Lug Nuts?"
In response to Reply # 0

Nevermind

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Amish_EclipseFeb-17-02 01:37 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3026 posts,
#6781, "RE: Torque specs on Lug Nuts?"
In response to Reply # 1

i beleive it's like somewher in the range of 79-82. but i just tighten them up by hand than stand on the ratchet handle

http://www.ocaddict.com

thanks beefgg for the sig

ModeratoreclipzGSTFeb-17-02 02:56 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#6782, "RE: Torque specs on Lug Nuts?"
In response to Reply # 2

Stand on the ratchet handle? Didn't you just say 79-82 lbs???? You must be a REAL skinny white boy!

-Tony 98'GST
eclipzgst@charter.net

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

Logic3Feb-17-02 05:05 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1227 posts,
#6783, "RE: Torque specs on Lug Nuts?"
In response to Reply # 3

Yeah 82lbs dosen't even take any force with a torque wrench. I think I had them torqued to like 120lbs just doing it by hand. I loosened them to 90lbs and the car is driving better but it still not great. Going to get a front wheel alignment tomorrow...another $40 down the drain

ModeratorVX100Feb-18-02 01:26 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#6784, "RE: Torque specs on Lug Nuts?"
In response to Reply # 4

James, torque lug nuts to about 90-100 lbs*ft and you should be fine.

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

mkerleyFeb-18-02 01:26 AM
Old School 2GNTer
944 posts,
#6785, "RE: Torque specs on Lug Nuts?"
In response to Reply # 0

the spec is actually pretty low I thought. I'll have to check when the manual, but I believe I remember it being about 82 ft*lbs.

99GS MT | Star Stage 2 | GC coilovers | HurriganeGS tie bars | Tokico Illuminas | 17x7 Enkei RS5 | Baer track brakes |+

Logic3Feb-18-02 05:38 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1227 posts,
#6786, "RE: Torque specs on Lug Nuts?"
In response to Reply # 6

I dunno what the hell is goin on with my front right wheel. At low speeds is sounds almost like the inside of the wheel is hitting the caliper...but I know its not cause there is plenty of clearence. There is a low rattly clanking sound when rolling 5-10mph. I haven't taken the wheel back off yet but I'm gonna do that when I get off of work. Any ideas?

Todd, I torqued the wheels back down to 100lbs that seems to help a little bit more.

Matt, I dunno where my Chiltons manual is so if you find the exact ft/lbs let me know.

Thanks guys.

mkerleyFeb-18-02 06:33 AM
Old School 2GNTer
944 posts,
#6787, "RE: Torque specs on Lug Nuts?"
In response to Reply # 7

Wheel bearing maybe?? You hit a curb or anything lately?

99GS MT | Star Stage 2 | GC coilovers | HurriganeGS tie bars | Tokico Illuminas | 17x7 Enkei RS5 | Baer track brakes |+

Logic3Feb-18-02 06:55 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1227 posts,
#6788, "RE: Torque specs on Lug Nuts?"
In response to Reply # 8

Actually I did slap a pothole the other day doing about 35 on campus. It was a clean hit though...head on and all tire(no damage to the tire or the wheel..not even a mark). Wheel bearing...I'll bet your right though. Think my warrenty would cover it even though I have some suspension modifications? Glenn Mitsubishi is usually good about stuff like that.

1TuffRSFeb-18-02 07:57 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2338 posts,
#6789, "RE: Torque specs on Lug Nuts?"
In response to Reply # 9

well since you have obviously checked and rechecked yoru lug nuts this might not help you. But my car was making similar noises to what you described on my drivers side rear wheel and when I went to check the lugnuts, one of them wasnt on tight enough. Maybe thats ur prob

Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed (totaled)
15.4606@88.42 Mph
96 Toyota Celica GT
88 Toyota Supra NA-T (w/ sports package)
Got Boost?? Hell yeah I-6 turbo powah baby!

Logic3Feb-18-02 08:12 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1227 posts,
#6790, "RE: Torque specs on Lug Nuts?"
In response to Reply # 10

Yeah, I know thats not it at this point. They are torqued down to 100 lbs.

Logic3Feb-19-02 12:43 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1227 posts,
#6791, "UPDATE"
In response to Reply # 11

Well I took the wheel off today and it looks like my lower control arm is twisted ever so slightly...yet twisted none the less.

You guys think Satan will cover this along with the ball joint recall under warrenty?

Amish_EclipseFeb-19-02 02:12 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3026 posts,
#6792, "RE: UPDATE"
In response to Reply # 12

yes they'll do it underwarranty. if you need a new ball joint though. you get new control arms in the recall. just hope they find play. if you wanna check it your self lift the front of the car and see if you can wiggle your tire vertically (up and down) if it wiggles your ball joint has play. shake it left to right as well if it's the same amount of play than it's a wheel bearing if not than go get ball joints than check it left to right again. usually horizontal (left to right) play is the tie rod. it would be hard to tell either if your bearing was messed up

http://www.ocaddict.com

thanks beefgg for the sig

Logic3Feb-19-02 04:24 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1227 posts,
#6793, "RE: UPDATE"
In response to Reply # 13

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

mkerleyFeb-20-02 04:39 AM
Old School 2GNTer
944 posts,
#6794, "RE: UPDATE"
In response to Reply # 14

I'd switch back to your stock wheels before you take it in too. Just so that they don't have anything to blame it on. I've still got mine if you don't.

Matt

Logic3Feb-20-02 05:34 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1227 posts,
#6795, "RE: UPDATE"
In response to Reply # 15

Matt, you're the man! Maybe I can come get those Friday. I'll give you a call tomorrow night if you're not busy. I'll only need them for the day.

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #6779 Previous topic | Next topic