Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #5393
View in linear mode

Subject: "Noise after lowering" Previous topic | Next topic
madregalJan-02-02 02:57 PM
Old School 2GNTer
398 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5393, "Noise after lowering"

after i got my car lowered with prokits and kybs
the car seems really stiff.. the ride is a bit hard...but thats fine.
there is however this sound i get on the rear driver's side.. i thought it was my strut bar..but i already tightened that..

any idea what it is?

i should take everything out of the back...

'98 GS AT.Magenta Gray Pearl.Accel Spark Plug Wires.NGK Plugs.AEM Short Stack.GS-T Exhaust.AFX Underdrive pulley.RRE Front Lower Bar.Tenzo Rear Upper Bar
Tenzo Rear Lower Bar.Tenzo Front Upper Bar.Energy Suspension Bushings.Energy Suspension Motor Mounts.Radius Rims.Pirelli Tires.Eibach Pro kit Springs.KYB GR2.$15 camber mod

'98 GS AT.Magenta Gray Pearl.Accel Spark Plug Wires.NGK Plugs.AEM Short Stack.GS-T Exhaust.AFX Underdrive pulley.RRE Front Lower Bar.Tenzo Rear Upper Bar.Tenzo Rear Lower Bar.Tenzo Front Upper Bar.Energy Suspension Bushings.Energy Suspension Motor Mounts.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Noise after lowering, optimuspeterson, Jan-02-02 03:27 PM, #1
RE: Noise after lowering, madregal, Jan-02-02 03:36 PM, #2
      RE: Noise after lowering, 1TuffRS, Jan-02-02 05:17 PM, #3
      RE: Noise after lowering, ModeratoreclipzGST, Jan-02-02 05:29 PM, #4
      RE: Noise after lowering, iamnotwhoiam, Jan-07-02 03:45 AM, #5
           RE: Noise after lowering, madregal, Jan-08-02 09:03 AM, #6
                RE: Noise after lowering, iamnotwhoiam, Jan-09-02 01:21 AM, #7
                     RE: Noise after lowering, madregal, Jan-09-02 03:59 AM, #8
                          RE: Noise after lowering, iamnotwhoiam, Jan-09-02 05:03 AM, #9

optimuspetersonJan-02-02 03:27 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2353 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5394, "RE: Noise after lowering"
In response to Reply # 0

is it like a rattling noise when you go over a bump?

if so try tightening down the strut mount bolt, that was the problem with mine

http://home.bendcable.com/optimuspeterson <<<<HRC Stage 2 and Star Instructions
95 Eclipse - SOLD | 93 BMW 318is - SOLD | 2000 S-10 Extreme on 20's - SOLD
93 Toyota/shaved/bagged/body dropped - SOLD | 97 GSX - SOLD
2006 Scion tC

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

madregalJan-02-02 03:36 PM
Old School 2GNTer
398 posts,
#5395, "RE: Noise after lowering"
In response to Reply # 1

thats exactly when it happens.
please tell me again what i need to tighten...

'98 GS AT.Magenta Gray Pearl.Accel Spark Plug Wires.NGK Plugs.AEM Short Stack.GS-T Exhaust.AFX Underdrive pulley.RRE Front Lower Bar.Tenzo Rear Upper Bar
Tenzo Rear Lower Bar.Tenzo Front Upper Bar.Energy Suspension Bushings.Energy Suspension Motor Mounts.Radius Rims.Pirelli Tires.Eibach Pro kit Springs.KYB GR2.$15 camber mod

'98 GS AT.Magenta Gray Pearl.Accel Spark Plug Wires.NGK Plugs.AEM Short Stack.GS-T Exhaust.AFX Underdrive pulley.RRE Front Lower Bar.Tenzo Rear Upper Bar.Tenzo Rear Lower Bar.Tenzo Front Upper Bar.Energy Suspension Bushings.Energy Suspension Motor Mounts.

1TuffRSJan-02-02 05:17 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2338 posts,
#5396, "RE: Noise after lowering"
In response to Reply # 2

so im not alone in this huh? I tried tightening it too and that didnt work. Hell I even had my dad try to tighten it down some more and he ended up stripping the top of the strut off. It still does it to this day, some of the guys told me that it was probably just a bushing gone bad and not to worry about it. I would try to tighten the locking nut on the top of the strut to see if that fixes it. If not, then its probably a problem like mine and a bushing is gone

Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed (totaled)
15.4606@88.42 Mph
96 Toyota Celica GT
88 Toyota Supra NA-T (w/ sports package)
Got Boost?? Hell yeah I-6 turbo powah baby!

ModeratoreclipzGSTJan-02-02 05:29 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#5397, "RE: Noise after lowering"
In response to Reply # 3

When I dropped mine, I put all the bushings in wrong. I had them all stacked together instead of putting the last one on top.
Man, did that thing rattle like a mofo.

-Tony 98'GST

http://eclipzgst.dyndns.org
AIM: turboclipz or YNOT420247

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

iamnotwhoiamJan-07-02 03:45 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2361 posts,
#5398, "RE: Noise after lowering"
In response to Reply # 2

its more than likely a bushing that gave out.. that happened to mine and it created a knocking sound when going over bumps and stopping.. i ended up finding the place it was doing it. and it will probably be the upper knuckle arm bushing. i just we ahead and replaced all the bushings in my suspension with energy suspension bushings which were a great upgrade since it tigtened up my whole suspension and its such an upgrade that it feels like i have new struts and the comfort level is much more pleasing. but i warn you replaceing bushings is not a fun thing to do and it is costly to pay someone else to do it.. the kit itself is not expensive, but the labor will cost alot.

-Jason

97 Talon ESi-T (forever in progress...)

95 GS (Gone)
16.74@83.18mph
119.8 whp - 113.3 lbs/ft

2GNT #677
My Wiki Page: www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=Iamnotwhoiam
Pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/iamnotwhoiam/Talon/

madregalJan-08-02 09:03 AM
Old School 2GNTer
398 posts,
#5399, "RE: Noise after lowering"
In response to Reply # 5

how hard would it be to replace it if it was a bad bushing again.
i may have screwed up and used wrong grade bushing <stupid me>

so do i have to do an alignment again? hope not.

iamnotwhoiamJan-09-02 01:21 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2361 posts,
#5400, "RE: Noise after lowering"
In response to Reply # 6

well the main issue for replacing the bushings is that as far as i know you can't get just one or the bushing by itself from the dealership.. i tried to get a new one.. but i would have had to buy a whole new knuckle with the bushing already in it.. and that was very expensive.. and as far as how hard it is to replace.. its very time consuming even with a press to press out the old and press in the new.. which is very hard to do.. accually i had to burn/saq/chisel the particular one that had blown and the one on the other side.. and that was no fun.. if you were only to replace that one that is blown you probably wont need an alignment but it wouldnt hurt.. for me i had to get an alignment cause the whole suspension had been disassembled and put back together. oh and for that one bushing that was blown it would have taken about 1/4 the total time to get them all done because i had to have alot removed to just get at that one bushing.. hope this helps.. if you are still interested in pursuing a whole new set try http://www.roadraceengineering.com and http://www.suspension.com for prices on the aftermarket bushings, but remember that even though it wont cost much for the bushings themselves, it will cost quite a bit for just the labor for someone else to do it, unless you have some crazy friends with some time on their hands and also know somone with a press cause you will need it.

-Jason

95 GS (Gone)
16.74@83.18mph
119.8 whp - 113.3 lbs/ft

2GNT #677

madregalJan-09-02 03:59 AM
Old School 2GNTer
398 posts,
#5401, "RE: Noise after lowering"
In response to Reply # 7

thanks jason.

iamnotwhoiamJan-09-02 05:03 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2361 posts,
#5402, "RE: Noise after lowering"
In response to Reply # 8

np

-Jason

95 GS (Gone)
16.74@83.18mph
119.8 whp - 113.3 lbs/ft

2GNT #677

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #5393 Previous topic | Next topic