Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #5045
View in linear mode

Subject: "good tires" Previous topic | Next topic
97eclipseRSDec-14-01 02:23 AM
Old School 2GNTer
940 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5045, "good tires"

hey guys, what're the best tires to get to replace the stock 16's. I'm talkin' about non-performance tires(don't have the money to replace them every couple thousand miles). I need to get good all around tires, good wet and dry traction. The stock ones have about 39,000 miles on them and about 1/2" of meat on them but i'm slidin' all over when it's wet out, and not even while driving fast at all. In rain they're slipping out of every stop and every time i apply the breaks. anyway, they suck, and i need new ones before i have an accident. thanks

- Dan

HRC Stage 2|30lb injectors|S-FMU|Walbro255HP|AFX UDP|B&M Short Shifter w/ Symborski Shift Kit|Rear Strut Bar|Power Slot Rotors|more...

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: good tires, vegasdsmr, Dec-14-01 06:40 AM, #1
RE: good tires, espilcEGS, Dec-14-01 07:20 AM, #2
RE: good tires, 97eclipseRS, Dec-14-01 07:24 AM, #3
      RE: good tires, ModeratorVX100, Dec-14-01 07:40 AM, #4
           RE: good tires, HadesOmega, Dec-16-01 02:31 PM, #5
                RE: good tires, ModeratorVX100, Dec-17-01 02:10 AM, #6
                     RE: good tires, espilcEGS, Dec-17-01 04:15 AM, #7
                          RE: good tires, jZa, Dec-17-01 12:34 PM, #8
                               RE: good tires, HadesOmega, Dec-17-01 01:11 PM, #9
                                    RE: good tires, jZa, Dec-19-01 03:37 PM, #10

vegasdsmrDec-14-01 06:40 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4713 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#5046, "RE: good tires"
In response to Reply # 0

rotate your tires. your back ones should still have some tread on them.

i replaced my front ones first with nitto450s. they are good tires, not too sure about rain, cuz i live in the desert, but my handling has improved over those bf goodrich or goodyear ones that come stock.

then after about 10k, i put the old nittos on the rear, and bought the same nitto 450s for the front.

other people ride on the kumho, and others, but i dont know for sure.

a good way to check to see how much tread you got is by taking a penny and puttin it in the tread. if you can see lincons whole face, then get new tires, if you cant, dont worry.

my stock tires, the fronts were good till about 35k, i rode the rears til 45k
hope that helps

03 srt-4 13.130@112.47mph (n2o, stock turbo, 10/2003)
now: 20g, portfueler, bpu+++ (track/dyno times tbd...)

i farted on your wiki

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

espilcEGSDec-14-01 07:20 AM
Old School 2GNTer
257 posts,
#5047, "RE: good tires"
In response to Reply # 1

I have the BF Goodrich g-force KDWS on the stock wheels. They by far out perform the stock tires and the tread wear rating is higher. Excellent in the rain and in the corners. I can take curves at 60 with no squeal, where as the stocks would squeal at 40. If you don't need any light snow traction. Go for the KDW.

05 STi

97eclipseRSDec-14-01 07:24 AM
Old School 2GNTer
940 posts,
#5048, "RE: good tires"
In response to Reply # 1

the thing is, i've got a good amount of tread left, but i'm sliding all over the place in wet weather, even at extremly slow speeds. i don't think it's supposed to be that easyb to slide in rain. also, do the kohmo's and the nittos' wear fast. i need a tire that's not going to have to be replaced every 20,000 miles.

- Dan

HRC Stage 2|30lb injectors|S-FMU|Walbro255HP|AFX UDP|B&M Short Shifter w/ Symborski Shift Kit|Rear Strut Bar|Power Slot Rotors|more...

ModeratorVX100Dec-14-01 07:40 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#5049, "RE: good tires"
In response to Reply # 3

Easy, BF Goodrich HR4s (H rated, 130 mph) about $50-$55 or so a tire

I've got them on my saturn, very well rounded tires. Certainly not biased for performance, but good for some spirited runs, snow, rain, ect..

And VERY high tread wear rating (I know, only useful comparing tires within a company, not between different tire manufacturers) but they practically are NOT wearing. These things should last a good deal of time.

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

HadesOmegaDec-16-01 02:31 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#5050, "RE: good tires"
In response to Reply # 4

Hmm HR4s you say for 50 bux that sounds good. What's the rating on it? 300 Treadwear A A? My Firestone Firehawks are 300 A A, I loved them, they came with my wheels when I bought them off the dude that sold em to me. They're completely bald now though hehe, autox tires now. Wonder if I can still get Firehawks somewhere anymore, hehe they should be cheap seeing as Firestone is about out of business now.

If you want some cheap performance tires that last pretty long check out some Falken Azenis or Kumho Ecsta 712s. Those are really grippy tires for a good deal. like 80-90 bucks for 16s though, everything 15 and below is cheaper for some reason

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

ModeratorVX100Dec-17-01 02:10 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#5051, "RE: good tires"
In response to Reply # 5

Well, the price will be different depending onthe size (of coure) but for my saturn 195/60HR15 BF goodrich HR4 all season tires were about $55 each. The treadwear rating is at least 300, probably 360 I don't remember. But, these things barely wear out, I've beaten on them and they hardly show any wear. The wear rating is only consistant within a manufacturer's line, you can't compare a 300 from one company with a 300 from another.

And the heat and traction ratings for this tire are both A, maybe a double A for the traction (some new tires have the double A rating because they have improved performance as tire technology improves).

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

espilcEGSDec-17-01 04:15 AM
Old School 2GNTer
257 posts,
#5052, "RE: good tires"
In response to Reply # 6

The G-force KDWS is 400 AA A, $98.

05 STi

jZaDec-17-01 12:34 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1130 posts,
#5053, "RE: good tires"
In response to Reply # 7

haha, i got a sweet deal on my firehawks from tirerack when they were clearing them out, but they're all gone now . You can get the new ep series, but its like twice as much.
If you aren't driving on snow you don't need all season tires. Just get some v or h rated ones that aren't priced too high.

jZa
IHS # fo-six-fo-six

"real men don't ride stick"

HadesOmegaDec-17-01 01:11 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#5054, "RE: good tires"
In response to Reply # 8

Oh those are 15s though, of course they're gonna be that cheap I bet the 16s are like 80. The 712s and the Azenis are AA on traction I bet. Hell if I can get 16 inch tires and 300 treadwear with AA Traction I'm game.

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

jZaDec-19-01 03:37 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1130 posts,
#5055, "RE: good tires"
In response to Reply # 9

mine are 16"

jZa
IHS # fo-six-fo-six

"real men don't ride stick"

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #5045 Previous topic | Next topic