Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #4617
View in linear mode

Subject: "Tire Dilemma" Previous topic | Next topic
avenger (Guest)Oct-16-01 05:05 AM

#4617, "Tire Dilemma"

For those that remember I've been having serious tire issues with my current set of tires ... BF Goodrich Scorchers. I've had 2 of the tire's sidewall fail on me already. The both front tires. I came to the conclusion that the side walls on the tires just suck. And they suck in the rain but I already knew that going in. Well today one of my replacement tires went bye bye. Same thing as the other 2 that went out but more severe. The other 2 times I only had "tumors" on the side of the tire where the sidewall broke. This time there were 2 holes ... one about 1 1/2" and the other 1". So back goes the tire again. I have a life time warranty and road hazard on these tires so I never have to buy new ones and I decided on not replacing them till the treads get worn out but that'll never happen at this rate. I've had to replace a tire 3 times now and one I actually had to replace twice. Insane. So just for reference .... BFGOODRICH SCORCHERS SUCK BIG TIME!!!!! Don't ever buy them!!

On a side note I'm gonna replace these POS before the end of the year ... and suggestions on a tire around the size of 225/45/17 that I should get? Also something with a fairly reasonable price?

-Avenger
99 Eclipse RS
Power up with 2 scoops of candy coated kaboom.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Tire Dilemma, vegasdsmr, Oct-16-01 05:19 AM, #1
RE: Tire Dilemma, vector_racing, Oct-16-01 05:47 AM, #2
      RE: Tire Dilemma, Teameclipse804, Oct-16-01 05:51 AM, #3
      RE: Tire Dilemma, Kory, Oct-16-01 05:52 AM, #4
RE: Tire Dilemma, TeamMichael_97RS, Oct-16-01 06:06 AM, #5
RE: Tire Dilemma, 9D9 MITSU RS, Oct-16-01 06:27 AM, #6
      RE: Tire Dilemma, Moderatorsd_eclipse, Oct-16-01 06:39 AM, #7
           RE: Tire Dilemma, Jen, Oct-16-01 06:48 AM, #8
                RE: Tire Dilemma, koolade9, Oct-16-01 07:18 AM, #9
                     RE: Tire Dilemma, eclipsekaiser, Oct-16-01 07:49 AM, #10
                          RE: Tire Dilemma, Ichiban, Oct-16-01 08:05 AM, #11
                               RE: Tire Dilemma, Irfan, Oct-16-01 08:16 AM, #12
                                    RE: Tire Dilemma, cyan, Oct-16-01 08:23 AM, #13
                                         RE: Tire Dilemma, koolade9, Oct-16-01 12:22 PM, #14
RE: Tire Dilemma, Super20G, Oct-16-01 01:54 PM, #15
RE: Tire Dilemma, HondaHater21, Oct-16-01 02:15 PM, #16
RE: Tire Dilemma, HadesOmega, Oct-16-01 07:48 PM, #17
RE: Tire Dilemma, whodatt1, Oct-17-01 01:42 AM, #18
      RE: Tire Dilemma, Jen, Oct-17-01 01:58 AM, #19
           Jen were these the firehawk SS10 tires, TeamDeanoD, Oct-17-01 05:21 AM, #20
RE: Tire Dilemma, DeltaOperative, Oct-17-01 07:02 AM, #21
RE: Tire Dilemma, DeltaOperative, Oct-17-01 07:05 AM, #22
      RE: Tire Dilemma, klipzracer, Oct-17-01 07:19 AM, #23
RE: Tire Dilemma, avenger (Guest), Oct-17-01 08:36 AM, #24
RE: Tire Dilemma, SonicYan, Oct-17-01 12:08 PM, #25
      RE: Tire Dilemma, Teameclipse804, Oct-17-01 04:47 PM, #26

vegasdsmrOct-16-01 05:19 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4713 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4618, "RE: Tire Dilemma"
In response to Reply # 0

get sum nitto 450's or 555 extremes

definately shitcan the ones u got, get a refund for em too

Sean G
vegaspimpin 99 gs ounce edition (wish it was a Q P)
http://seangordon1.tripod.com

short ram intake w/custom dual ram air
2.5 catback w/5zigen muff
NGK BKR5E-11
8.5 mm magnecores
AFX UDP in da mail
hurricane gs shiftermod
symborski shifter kit

03 srt-4 13.130@112.47mph (n2o, stock turbo, 10/2003)
now: 20g, portfueler, bpu+++ (track/dyno times tbd...)

i farted on your wiki

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

vector_racingOct-16-01 05:47 AM
Old School 2GNTer
393 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4619, "RE: Tire Dilemma"
In response to Reply # 1

I second the nitto 450's, I liked them...

www.vectorracing.com

Teameclipse804Oct-16-01 05:51 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#4620, "RE: Tire Dilemma"
In response to Reply # 2

Or kumho ecsta supra 712's about 105 each for that size from discount tire I think...

eclipse804@hotmail.com
http://www.importvenom.com
Import Venom - Parts and Performance

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

KoryOct-16-01 05:52 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2620 posts,
#4621, "RE: Tire Dilemma"
In response to Reply # 2

nittos sucks ass... read up on the reviews at tirerack.com

i'd get kumhos or azinas (sp)... peeps at the auto x race with em so they are cert. good... scorchers suk ass btw

Kory
fasteclipse@cisco.com
aim sn: dukmahsik
Happy Honda Hunting!

The Original 2GNT []D[][]Y[][]D

96 RS

97 GSX

TeamMichael_97RSOct-16-01 06:06 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#4622, "RE: Tire Dilemma"
In response to Reply # 0

Yeah you should get some sort or refund or credit on them.

I love my Potenza RE-730's.

"The fastest draw is when the sword never leaves the scabbard,
The strongest way to block, is never to provoke a blow,
And the cleanest cut is the one withheld."

Michael J. Kulaga e-mail: Michael_97RS@2gntDSM.zzn.com
aol IM: MJKulga Website: http://highlander.dsmpower.com/

All Motor Beast in the Making

Injen CAI, 55mm TB, Hooker 4-1 Stepped Header, GS-T Muffler, AFX UDP, S-AFC, 8.5mm Magnecor Wires, SS Clutch Line, NRG Susp. Motor Mount Ins., FU/RU/RL STBs, TSW Blade 17x7.5, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 215/45ZR-17. Front KVR Cross-Drilled Rotors and Carbon Fiber Pads

To Be Installed: Rear disc brake conversion kit, SS Brake Lines, Rear KVR Cross Drilled Rotors and KVR Carbon Fiber Kevlar Pads

Firefly:
Mal: You don't know me, son, so let me put this to you plainly: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed.

9D9 MITSU RSOct-16-01 06:27 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6845 posts,
#4623, "RE: Tire Dilemma"
In response to Reply # 5

are Yokohama Paradas good????

Moderatorsd_eclipseOct-16-01 06:39 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1543 posts,
#4624, "RE: Tire Dilemma"
In response to Reply # 6

Parada's are the current tire im running. I was fairly happy with them. Got some decent mileage out of them and the handled pretty decent. Only gripe I have is you get a howling sound cuz of the tread pattern. Next im trying a set of the Kumho's someone mentioned before. We'll see how those go, they get slapped onto my car tomorrow.

JenOct-16-01 06:48 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2349 posts,
#4625, "RE: Tire Dilemma"
In response to Reply # 7

We have Nittos and love them. We've had them on both AWD cars as well as the NT, in the summer, in rain, ice and snow and track for over 2 years now. No problems at all

Jenni & Cody
'95 Talon Esi
'90 Talon TSi AWD (11.52 sec)
'91 Eclipse GSX (14.22 sec, the Beater...)
'91 Eclipse GSX

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

koolade9Oct-16-01 07:18 AM
Old School 2GNTer
537 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4626, "RE: Tire Dilemma"
In response to Reply # 8

I'm running 555extremes....

the roads in IL suck major ass. and there are potholes galore. I've hit all kinds of shit on accident and I've never put as much as a scratch on my 18s. VERY strong sidewalls. and they get very good wet traction too. In the world of 18" tires, they are also very affordable(like 140ish).

eclipsekaiserOct-16-01 07:49 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2375 posts,
#4627, "RE: Tire Dilemma"
In response to Reply # 9

Potenza S02 are the shits. A bit on the pricy side, but worth it.

-K-

IchibanOct-16-01 08:05 AM
Old School 2GNTer
238 posts,
#4628, "RE: Tire Dilemma"
In response to Reply # 10

I went with Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's on my 18's. They ride great. My other choice was the Potenza RE730's, but they're a little expensive in 18's. I think the price on 17's isn't too bad, though. My brother has some BFG Euro's and those thing suck too. They have the sorriest treadwear rating. Check out http://www.tirerack.com. They have a sweet system where you can compare tires.

Christian
99 GS Anniversary Edition

http://www.ichibanracing.com/

Christian
06 GG IX MR SE
http://www.ichibanracing.com/ is DOWN!! In between hosts.

IrfanOct-16-01 08:16 AM
Old School 2GNTer
566 posts,
#4629, "RE: Tire Dilemma"
In response to Reply # 11

re730s

2GNT Member #76, since Fall 1999

Drives: 2004 Mazda RX-8
Drove: 1999 Saab 9-5 SE
1999 Eclipse GS Hahn Stage 1

cyanOct-16-01 08:23 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
#4630, "RE: Tire Dilemma"
In response to Reply # 12

yeah the nitto 555 is the best tire on the market now, and im not saying that just because i own them, i knew this when i bought pirellis instead to save money. the 555 has the better compound on the market (most tread contact coupled with the stickiest handling) ive nothad a single problem with the nittos. i ran one flat and warped it (of course) and i drove on one tire for 3 months with a slice all the way around the tires sidewall and it never split or broke on me.

www.blue2gnt.homestead.com www.geocities.com/blue2gnt

1995 Eclipse GS - HRC Stage 2 - Retired.
2004 350z Enthusiast / 2008 Nissan Versa SL

koolade9Oct-16-01 12:22 PM
Old School 2GNTer
537 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#4631, "RE: Tire Dilemma"
In response to Reply # 13

i dig the si

Super20GOct-16-01 01:54 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2545 posts,
#4632, "RE: Tire Dilemma"
In response to Reply # 0

I have had great sucess with Bfgoodridge Scorcher T/A's 225/18''/35s. I have had 2 sets of them and they grip good under high boost runs after their warmed up good. They do suck in any weather condition but theire great summer tires, cant ask for too much from pretty much street slicks.
--
Brad Rickard
98 GS HRC Stage V (nuff said)

HondaHater21Oct-16-01 02:15 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1750 posts,
#4633, "RE: Tire Dilemma"
In response to Reply # 0

Hey, BFG's dont suck. Did you know the air in the tires? I work in a tire shop and when the tire pressure is low and then the tire gets hot, the sidewall goes at high speeds. Ive seen 3 BFGs die to the same fate.

"Only Pirates Should Say R"

http://www.geocities.com/hondahater21/

"Only Pirates Say R"
hondahater21@hotmail.com
www.geocities.com/hondahater21

Change Your own Blinker Fluid! --> http://geocities.com/changeyourblinkerfluid/

HadesOmegaOct-16-01 07:48 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#4634, "RE: Tire Dilemma"
In response to Reply # 0

Kumo Ectsa 712s will do good.

Ru sure you had the tire inflated to the right PSI though? If you make it stiffer you won't ride on the sidewall as much. Just something to think about. I heard Nittos are only good for dragging, because the sidewalls are soft also, I like em hard.

I've been running on some Firestone Firehawks for a while now and they haven't given out on me yet, bwahah they're all bald now thanks to ebrake drifting and autocross though.

Grrr it's gonna eat you up!
AFX Pulley | Autometer Bezel Gauge Holder | Modified A/F Ratio Gauge | B&M Super Oil Cooler | Energy Suspension Shifter Bushings | JAZ Oil Catchcan | Performance Muffler | HKS Air Filter | KYB AGX Shox | Skunk2 Coilovers | FU, RU, RL, and RRE FL Tie/Strut Bars | RS to TSi Rear Disc Mod | RS to TSi upgraded F&R Sway Bar | 97' Spyder Eclipse 5 Spoke Wheels | HKS Standard Blow off Valve | HKS TYPE 1 Turbo Timer | Star Stage 1 T3/T04E BB Turbo Kit | Starion Front Mount Intercooler | Schroth Autocontrol 3-Point Harness | and 1 HiGhLy SkIlLeD DrIvEr! |
Performance b4 Lookz, a car can only be as fast as it's driver! ^_^

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

whodatt1Oct-17-01 01:42 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2531 posts,
#4635, "RE: Tire Dilemma"
In response to Reply # 17

yoko paradas here, I like them, the grip really well as long as it is not wet, then its a completely different story...

Whodatt1
97gs

-97 GS (First project, 299 whp)(sold)
- 97 RS 2.6 last numbers: 306hp, 352tq @16psi (Dead, parted out)
- 99 GS OZ, Hahn Kit, 56k miles (Sold)
--------
- 00 Nissan Maxima GLE (Daily Driver)
- 02 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro

JenOct-17-01 01:58 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2349 posts,
#4636, "RE: Tire Dilemma"
In response to Reply # 18

Hey HadesOmega
I had Firestone Firehawks and they sucked a$$. I hate those things... One of them blew up after like 4000 miles. The thread separated but the rubber was still attached to the wheel and flopped all over at 70mph. Busted taillights and put scratches on the whole side of the car from the front fender to the rear bumper, decklid and even the roof. The damage is $3400 and the insurance doesn't wanna pay cause they found out that that tire I bought in the spring is over 8 years old...

I hope you have more luck with yours!

Jenni & Cody
'95 Talon Esi
'90 Talon TSi AWD (11.52 sec)
'91 Eclipse GSX (14.22 sec, the Beater...)
'91 Eclipse GSX

TeamDeanoDOct-17-01 05:21 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1099 posts,
#4637, "Jen were these the firehawk SS10 tires"
In response to Reply # 19

that were on the 14 inch factory alloy wheels that I sold you. If they are, I might have the receipt for them. The original tires were bought from a firestone dealer in april 1997 and then two of them were replaced free of charge at later dates due to failure in the cords. 215/60R14 Firestone Firehawk SS-10 From that point they were all wearing fine with no problems.

If these were totally different tires, then just disregard this post.

DeanoD
1997RS-NeverTurbo
#62 STS SCCA Arkansas Region
http://arscca.org

97 RS(PTE SC-61, Built Long Block, Electromotive Tec 3)It's Here!

DeltaOperativeOct-17-01 07:02 AM
Old School 2GNTer
220 posts,
#4638, "RE: Tire Dilemma"
In response to Reply # 0

:sigh: i had the kumho ecsta supras and blew a side wall out on the right front, and the metal braces were pertruding through the left front.

DeltaOperativeOct-17-01 07:05 AM
Old School 2GNTer
220 posts,
#4639, "RE: Tire Dilemma"
In response to Reply # 21

i just bought toyo proxes t1s 235/40 zr18s for my new rims. Cant wait to use them.
If you look hard enough, you can find the kumhos for 85 a piece thats how much i paid for mine.

klipzracerOct-17-01 07:19 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4006 posts,
#4640, "RE: Tire Dilemma"
In response to Reply # 22

hey, homeskillet! you work for delta airlines????

Chris Dishmon
chrisdishmon@hotmail.com or
chrisdishmon@yahoo.com (pretty original, huh?)

http://www.threebrain.com/weeeeee.html

1990 GSX (14.1 in the 1/4 mile, so far)
1997 RS (it just looks neat)

avenger (Guest)Oct-17-01 08:36 AM

#4641, "RE: Tire Dilemma"
In response to Reply # 0

I always kept between 28-32psi in the front tires. And i would maybe put it to user error if it happened maybe once ... but 3 times in less than one year ... you've got to be kidding me.

Anyways, I've decided to go with the kuhmos ... good reviews and a really good price for the size i want. Now all i have to do is come up with 500 bucks. I'll probably get it by Christmas. hehe

-Avenger
99 Eclipse RS
Power up with 2 scoops of candy coated kaboom.

SonicYanOct-17-01 12:08 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1560 posts,
#4642, "RE: Tire Dilemma"
In response to Reply # 24

Heh, can't beat my generic tires, goes by the brand Jupiter. Lol, Yeah!!! I don't know about their traction, but they were good for a 16.3 in the 1/4. I'm soooo poor, 14" rims and unknown tires...

SonicYan
1997 Eclipse RS
Basic bolt-ons, too poor and dumb to use NOS/Turbo

SonicYan aka Mikey
1997 Eclipse RS
Pinoy Reppin' SoCal 2GNT
Best: 16.35 @ 83.05 MPH

Teameclipse804Oct-17-01 04:47 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#4643, "RE: Tire Dilemma"
In response to Reply # 25

Haha ya those jupiter tires are tight!

Avenger, I would recommend going with at least 35 psi in all tires especially with the low profiles...

eclipse804@hotmail.com
http://www.importvenom.com
Import Venom - Parts and Performance

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #4617 Previous topic | Next topic