Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #400
View in linear mode

Subject: "Lexus IS 300 5 Star Wheels" Previous topic | Next topic
DirtMegirtJan-14-01 12:54 PM
Old School 2GNTer
205 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#400, "Lexus IS 300 5 Star Wheels"

Does anyone know how well these wheels will fit our cars. The rim size is 17" and the tire size is 215/45. I can get these wheels and tires pretty cheap because I work at a Lexus dealership. I like the look. If I put them on what would I have to look for to make sure they are compatible? Thanks in advance.

DirtMegirt
Wiki Contributor

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Lexus IS 300 5 Star Wheels, 95ESi, Jan-15-01 05:13 AM, #1
RE: Lexus IS 300 5 Star Wheels, cyan, Jan-15-01 12:23 PM, #2
      RE: Lexus IS 300 5 Star Wheels, Moderatorjuan, Jan-15-01 02:46 PM, #3
RE: Lexus IS 300 5 Star Wheels, Teamicjeclipse, Jan-16-01 02:00 PM, #4
RE: Lexus IS 300 5 Star Wheels, cyan, Jan-16-01 04:11 PM, #5
RE: Lexus IS 300 5 Star Wheels, Teameclipse804, Jan-17-01 10:43 AM, #6
      RE: Lexus IS 300 5 Star Wheels, Teamicjeclipse, Jan-17-01 02:47 PM, #7
      RE: Lexus IS 300 5 Star Wheels, cyan, Jan-17-01 03:03 PM, #8
           Colors..., Teameclipse804, Jan-17-01 06:36 PM, #9

95ESiJan-15-01 05:13 AM
Old School 2GNTer
842 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#401, "RE: Lexus IS 300 5 Star Wheels"
In response to Reply # 0

You have to check to see if the bore size and bolt pattern is the same for our cars.

If it is, I'm interested in how much you are getting them for!

l e o n

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

cyanJan-15-01 12:23 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
#402, "RE: Lexus IS 300 5 Star Wheels"
In response to Reply # 1

yeah the bore should be pretty much universal. but last tim ei checked all lexus car bolt patterns were 5x4.5 (114.3) so they should bolt right up. my wheels are listed for eclipses as well as lexi so they should fit but with the IS being new for 2K1 you might double check the offset, especially make sure they fit in the rear if your car is super-low

1995 Eclipse GS - HRC Stage 2 - Retired.
2004 350z Enthusiast / 2008 Nissan Versa SL

ModeratorjuanJan-15-01 02:46 PM
Donating 2GNT member
817 posts,
#403, "RE: Lexus IS 300 5 Star Wheels"
In response to Reply # 2

LAST EDITED ON 15-Jan-01 AT 07:50 PM (PST)

Actually, centrebores are not universal.

Ours is 67.1mm, which is actually larger than almost all other cars (Honda's are 56.1 or 64.1, Nissan 66.1, Toyota 54.1 or 60.1).

You can put a wheel from a car with a large centerbore on a car with a smaller one, but not the other way. The workaround is to have the bore enlarged, which can be done at a qualified machine shop. Note that the designs of some wheels may not work too well with this, especially if the original wheel has a very much smaller centerbore than the target vehicle.

Aftermarket wheel vendors deal with this by putting huge cennterbores (70-72mm) on their wheels, and supplying plastic or aluminum hubcentric adapters to fit the customers car.

This means that a lot of cars can use our wheels (as long as they have 5x114.3 bolt pattern), but we can't use many others. As a point of note, the 3G RX7 uses a 67.1 mm centerbore, which is why it makes such a good upgrade for us. The 2G Probe / MX6 is also good, and in fact better for most as the 16x7 size has less fitment issues than the 16x8 '7 wheels. Its too bad they are over 23lbs each.

So, the important things to consider when getting different wheels are:

- bolt pattern
- offset
- width
- centerbore

One final note is that if the centerbores don't match, the wheel will become a 'lug-centric' fit instead of 'hub-centric'. This can cause vibrations at speed if the wheels are slightly off- center, and places higher than design shear stresses on the lug bolts. This can potentially cause a catastrophic failure, although I haven't come across any reports of that actually happening. Just take the usual precautions of not over-torquing lug nuts, checking for tightness periodically, and perhaps replacing the bolts altogether if they are old.

juan

TeamicjeclipseJan-16-01 02:00 PM
Old School 2GNTer
871 posts,
#404, "RE: Lexus IS 300 5 Star Wheels"
In response to Reply # 0

How much can you get them for. I love the new IS300. I am getting that dark blue paint, altezza style tails, and really would like the wheels they come with. I will then have a imitation IS300.

Ian
95 Eclipse RS
http://www.geocities.com/icjeclipse/index.html

Ian | SoCal | Former 2GNT owner |
2GNT mods & pics: www.go.to/dsmdomination |
email: icjeclipse@earthlink.net |

cyanJan-16-01 04:11 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
#405, "RE: Lexus IS 300 5 Star Wheels"
In response to Reply # 4

shit, with the cost of that lexus factory pearl paint job (probably 3500-4000) and the cost of lexus factory parts you could buy the real thing, they are only $31,000
just kidding though, i have a friend with an integ that is getting that paint too, let us see it when you get it

Teameclipse804Jan-17-01 10:43 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#406, "RE: Lexus IS 300 5 Star Wheels"
In response to Reply # 4

LAST EDITED ON 17-Jan-01 AT 03:46 PM (PST)

Ya the new blue is awesome. Looks at lot like my friend's House of Kolour Candy Burple (blue+purple candy).

I was thinking of this

BMW Steel Blue Metallic

or

BMW Orient Blue Metallic

or

BMW Topaz Blue Metallic

Any opinions?

eclipse804@hotmail.com
http://importdeals.homestead.com
Import Parts and Performance

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

TeamicjeclipseJan-17-01 02:47 PM
Old School 2GNTer
871 posts,
#407, "RE: Lexus IS 300 5 Star Wheels"
In response to Reply # 6

I saw an awesome Accord yesterday in downtown L.A. with a really cool body kit(he had VIS stickers but i couldn't find his kit on their website) and a full white/light blue vinyl interior. Anyway he had a light blue color and it looked like it had platium and red pearl in it. It looked really nice. I haven't decided what color i am going to get yet, but probaly Altezzza blue or a light blue. But i change my mind about once a week so I really don't know.

Ian
95 Eclipse RS
http://www.geocities.com/icjeclipse/index.html

Ian | SoCal | Former 2GNT owner |
2GNT mods & pics: www.go.to/dsmdomination |
email: icjeclipse@earthlink.net |

cyanJan-17-01 03:03 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
#408, "RE: Lexus IS 300 5 Star Wheels"
In response to Reply # 6

in my opinion all 3 of those are pretty bland finishes, but if i had to choose it would definately be the third one, but i like more vivid colors (IS blue, benz SLK blue) the benz color is on their site too, i checked once. but thats just my opinion
http://www.geocities.com/blue2gnt

Teameclipse804Jan-17-01 06:36 PM
Donating 2GNT member
5174 posts,
#409, "Colors..."
In response to Reply # 8

Ya I know what you mean. I like the new lexus blue and I also wanted to paint my car yellow. But recently, I got convinced to try to be different. Everyone seems to have a tone of si blue or burple, so I'm trying to find a slightly different tone (at one point, every single car in the body shop was blue, about 6 months ago). Now people seem to be leaning towards silver (currently 4 cars in the shop either silver with purple or blue pearl, or gunmetal). I also want to try to make it look clean and classy, and not too flashy. If I didn't care about cops following me around, I'd paint it ferrari yellow with gold or white pearl. Our body shop painted an eclipse that color with stock body kit, and it looked awesome. Its so hard to decide on a color that I will like for a long time. I'll probably end up keeping it stock. Like icjeclipse, I end up changing my mind eveyr week...

eclipse804@hotmail.com
http://importdeals.homestead.com
Import Parts and Performance

2004 WRX - WR Blue Pearl
1997 Eclipse GS - Royal Sapphire Pearl

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #400 Previous topic | Next topic