Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #3923
View in linear mode

Subject: "what size rims?" Previous topic | Next topic
kelstedNov-07-01 05:14 AM
Old School 2GNTer
56 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3923, "what size rims?"

i'm gonna buy some new enkei rims, but i dont know what size i should get. i was gonna get the 17 inch rims but everyone is telling me to get 18 inch rims. but those costs about $500 more than the 17inch. is the price worth the extra inch? would 17 inch rims fill up the whole wheel base?

let me know what you think and what i should buy.

http://www.geocities.com/
kelsted/MyClipse/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: what size rims?, PowerEclipses, Nov-07-01 07:35 AM, #1
RE: what size rims?, tenzoeclipse, Nov-07-01 01:36 PM, #2
      RE: what size rims?, 1TuffRS, Nov-07-01 01:44 PM, #3
           RE: what size rims?, Ryan_RS, Nov-07-01 03:25 PM, #4
                RE: what size rims?, Logic3, Nov-07-01 06:58 PM, #5
                     RE: what size rims?, koolade9, Nov-08-01 03:41 AM, #6
                          RE: what size rims?, whodatt1, Nov-08-01 05:51 AM, #7
                               RE: what size rims?, TeamJasonESi_T, Nov-08-01 08:10 AM, #8
                                    RE: what size rims?, klipzracer, Nov-08-01 01:36 PM, #9
                                         uhhh?, TeamJasonESi_T, Nov-08-01 05:03 PM, #10
                                              RE: uhhh?, Logic3, Nov-08-01 05:11 PM, #11
                                                   RE: uhhh?, vegasdsmr, Nov-08-01 05:25 PM, #12
                                                        RE: uhhh?, vector_racing, Nov-09-01 02:17 AM, #13
                                                             RE: uhhh?, Weezle745, Nov-10-01 04:36 PM, #14
                                                                  RE: uhhh?, Boofer97rs, Nov-12-01 11:40 AM, #15
                                                                       RE: uhhh?, jZa, Nov-12-01 02:47 PM, #16
                                                                            RE: uhhh?, cyan, Nov-12-01 03:36 PM, #17

PowerEclipsesNov-07-01 07:35 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3215 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3924, "RE: what size rims?"
In response to Reply # 0

get the 17 the 18s are to heavy

Boca Raton, Florida
95 Eclipse GS- sold
99 Eclipse GSX- 386awhp
98 Eclipse GS- sold
92 Prelude

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

tenzoeclipseNov-07-01 01:36 PM
Old School 2GNTer
236 posts,
#3925, "RE: what size rims?"
In response to Reply # 1

17s=speed/18s=show. I have 225/40/18s and my friend has 17s with a taller sidewall. We both have the same drop and they both fill up the space.

Konig 18" Tantrums
Tenzo 1.5" springs
Aerogear 6-vent hood
GTR-wide wing
97+ headlights
"sports" altezza's
Taylor 8mm red wires
Brospeed header
StoneRaci

1TuffRSNov-07-01 01:44 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2338 posts,
#3926, "RE: what size rims?"
In response to Reply # 2

I plan on getting 17's too. I want to get the big brake upgrade so I cant get smaller than 17's anyway and I didnt want 18's or larger because of the increased unsprung weight.

-Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed
GST exhaust | custom cold air intake | axxis pads | Hurricane_GS shifter | Progress Springs | Rockford Fosgate MP3 Player & Speakers
TDaug@yahoo.com

Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed (totaled)
15.4606@88.42 Mph
96 Toyota Celica GT
88 Toyota Supra NA-T (w/ sports package)
Got Boost?? Hell yeah I-6 turbo powah baby!

Ryan_HesNov-07-01 03:25 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3450 posts,
#3927, "RE: what size rims?"
In response to Reply # 3

18's look nice. I remember when I was considering rims, a nd I went with 18's. If you don't mind a little more wight and a little more money, go with the 18's. Car handles great too with 40 series tires, also lowered though....need strut bars to...im trailing off -- get 18's

Ryan
Ryeguy2002@Hotmail.com
'97 Mitsubishi Eclipse

http://springfielddsm.homestead.com/ryan.html
http://www.monkeygods.com/Ryan
(Fast connection suggested)

Ryan
IRyanHester@Hotmail.com

'03 Mazda 6s

Logic3Nov-07-01 06:58 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1227 posts,
#3928, "RE: what size rims?"
In response to Reply # 4

Personal preference really. I had 18" Monsoons for a while. I liked....no, I loved them. But whenever a tire would go flat that was $150 down the drain. A little to pricey for me. So downsized and I'm rollin on 17's now. Plus the 17's I have now, Konig Rated R, only weight 19lbs a peice. Much lighter and I could tell a difference as soon as I put them on.

Up to you though. 18's are expensive but look awsome. 17's are finacially easier to maintain and yes, they will fill up the gap with a drop. Good Luck.

Logic3
-1999 RS NSW
-logic3@webspawner.com
-Clean as Hell and No Rice
http://www.geocities.com/project2gnt

koolade9Nov-08-01 03:41 AM
Old School 2GNTer
537 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3929, "RE: what size rims?"
In response to Reply # 5

18s.....or one-nine

whodatt1Nov-08-01 05:51 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2531 posts,
#3930, "RE: what size rims?"
In response to Reply # 6

I gots 18s and love them!

Whodatt1
97gs
Star Stage II

-97 GS (First project, 299 whp)(sold)
- 97 RS 2.6 last numbers: 306hp, 352tq @16psi (Dead, parted out)
- 99 GS OZ, Hahn Kit, 56k miles (Sold)
--------
- 00 Nissan Maxima GLE (Daily Driver)
- 02 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro

TeamJasonESi_TNov-08-01 08:10 AM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
#3931, "RE: what size rims?"
In response to Reply # 7

I also went back and forth on this one. I chose to go with 17's, b/c as it was mentioned before, it's probably the best compromise for both speed, handling and show. Any bigger hinders performance. Luckily, there's a lot of 4g63 talk on the exact same issue at www.DSMtalk.com using search option.

I think my car looks pretty good with 17's. I've seen Ryan's car rolling around with 18's and they look pretty good as well. Just not that much different in my eyes to justify the add'l money, loss of performance...etc. One aesthetic note to consider. Any rim that doesn't have the spokes that leads to the extreme outer part of the rim will visually look smaller than a rim that does have the attribute. Keep that in mind no matter what size you choose.

Everyone's gonna have their own opinions though. I'm sure in your own gut, you already know! It's a big buy and there isn't another mod that will more dramatically effect the looks of your car, so choose wisely.

Just get what YOU like.

Jason
98' Eagle Talon ESi-T
Mitsu Super 16g Turbo(HRC)/Custom FMIC

http://springfielddsm.homestead.com/JasonsPics.html

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX
98' Eagle Talon ESi (sold)

klipzracerNov-08-01 01:36 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4006 posts,
#3932, "RE: what size rims?"
In response to Reply # 8

can't go wrong with some dubs. rollin on 22's, beeyotch!

Chris Dishmon
chrisdishmon@hotmail.com

1990 GSX (like Jen and Cody's 1st gen it's sitting in peices )

1997 RS (with the kit that's kitted out)

http://www.homestead.com/klipzracer/index.html

TeamJasonESi_TNov-08-01 05:03 PM
Donating 2GNT member
3107 posts,
#3933, "uhhh?"
In response to Reply # 9

I just can't resist, but what are "dubs?"

At 27, I'm gett'in kinda old I guess.

Jason
98' Eagle Talon ESi-T
Mitsu Super 16g Turbo(HRC)/Custom FMIC

http://springfielddsm.homestead.com/JasonsPics.html

04' BMW 325Ci
91' Nissan 240SX
98' Eagle Talon ESi (sold)

Logic3Nov-08-01 05:11 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1227 posts,
#3934, "RE: uhhh?"
In response to Reply # 10

20" or above, right?

Logic3
-1999 RS NSW
-logic3@webspawner.com
-Clean as Hell and No Rice
http://www.geocities.com/project2gnt

vegasdsmrNov-08-01 05:25 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4713 posts,
#3935, "RE: uhhh?"
In response to Reply # 11

a dub=20

so dubz are 20s, sum may say that 21s and 22s are dubz, but they just dont know what the hell they're talkin about

hit me up on aim, vegasdsmr thats da new SN
Sean G
vegaspimpin 99 gs ounce edition (wish it was a Q P)
http://seangordon1.tripod.com

short ram intake w/custom dual ram air
2.5 catback w/5zigen muff and cherry bomb resonator
front upper and rear upper strut bar
NGK BKR5E-11
8.5 mm magnecores
hurricane gs shiftermod
symborski shifter kit

AFX UDP (sittin in my garage)

03 srt-4 13.130@112.47mph (n2o, stock turbo, 10/2003)
now: 20g, portfueler, bpu+++ (track/dyno times tbd...)

i farted on your wiki

vector_racingNov-09-01 02:17 AM
Old School 2GNTer
393 posts,
#3936, "RE: uhhh?"
In response to Reply # 12

Haaaa, but the $100 question is why does the word dub mean 20?

others that i have heard...
21 = dubs + 1
23 = Jordans
22 = jordans - 1 (how original)

Proud supporter of "RAPUR"
www.vectorracing.com

Weezle745Nov-10-01 04:36 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4068 posts,
#3937, "RE: uhhh?"
In response to Reply # 13

just a wild guess:

Dubz = double 10's

I know I am most likely wrong. Im gonna try looking on some SUV enthusiast websites or sites with Lexus', Benz's, etc.

95EclipseGS
Stock engine
Eclipse804's exhaust (waiting to be installed)
Clear Corners
JVC Kameleon Head (W/Voice Recognition)
2 10" Jensen Nitro subs
"Ricey" seat belt pads
Thats all for now

--- My 2gnt WIKI contribution ---> http://www.jamlez.com/2gnt

97 Eclipse Spyder

Boofer97rsNov-12-01 11:40 AM
Old School 2GNTer
800 posts,
#3938, "RE: uhhh?"
In response to Reply # 14

i dont know if it counts...but a dub is 20 dollars worth of weed...but i dont know anything about that =)

jZaNov-12-01 02:47 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1130 posts,
#3939, "RE: uhhh?"
In response to Reply # 15

haha, so i got some dub - fo's or mullin - 1's

javi d
vroom n' boom

jZa
IHS # fo-six-fo-six

"real men don't ride stick"

cyanNov-12-01 03:36 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2958 posts,
#3940, "RE: uhhh?"
In response to Reply # 16

yeah dub means what it sounds like. dub=20

getcha some dub minus one's and a turbo kit. my rims are heavier than 17s but i bet my car is faster than an NT with 13's

www.blue2gnt.homestead.com
www.geocities.com/blue2gnt

1995 Eclipse GS - HRC Stage 2 - Retired.
2004 350z Enthusiast / 2008 Nissan Versa SL

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #3923 Previous topic | Next topic