Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #3823
View in linear mode

Subject: "installing springs" Previous topic | Next topic
1TuffRSOct-30-01 12:05 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2338 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3823, "installing springs"

I am installing springs on my ride this weekend and I just want to make sure this is the right compressor, so is this it??

-Toney
'97 RS
GST exhaust, modded intake w/ k&n, axxis pads, Hurricane_GS shifter,
Rockford Fosgate MP3 Player
TDaug@yahoo.com

Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed (totaled)
15.4606@88.42 Mph
96 Toyota Celica GT
88 Toyota Supra NA-T (w/ sports package)
Got Boost?? Hell yeah I-6 turbo powah baby!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: installing springs, Logic3, Oct-30-01 01:10 PM, #1
RE: installing springs, ModeratorVX100, Oct-30-01 01:10 PM, #2
RE: installing springs, klipzracer, Oct-30-01 01:14 PM, #3
      RE: installing springs, 1TuffRS, Oct-30-01 01:46 PM, #4
           RE: installing springs, daved, Oct-30-01 02:03 PM, #5
                RE: installing springs, tenzoeclipse, Oct-30-01 03:13 PM, #6
                     RE: installing springs, Logic3, Oct-30-01 03:38 PM, #7
                          RE: installing springs, ModeratoreclipzGST, Oct-30-01 03:46 PM, #8
                               RE: installing springs, 1TuffRS, Oct-31-01 05:37 AM, #9
                                    RE: installing springs, klipzracer, Oct-31-01 09:25 AM, #10
                                         RE: installing springs, Logic3, Oct-31-01 10:58 AM, #11
                                              RE: installing springs, ModeratorEvuLFleA, Oct-31-01 12:05 PM, #12
                                              RE: installing springs, tenzoeclipse, Oct-31-01 12:09 PM, #13
                                                   RE: installing springs, 1TuffRS, Oct-31-01 02:16 PM, #14
                                                        RE: installing springs, 1TuffRS, Nov-05-01 08:27 AM, #15
                                                             RE: installing springs, klipzracer, Nov-05-01 02:40 PM, #16
                                                                  F@CK UPS!, Logic3, Nov-06-01 07:19 AM, #17

Logic3Oct-30-01 01:10 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1227 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3824, "RE: installing springs"
In response to Reply # 0

That'll work. I didn't even need a spring compressor though.

Logic3
-1999 RS NSW
-logic3@webspawner.com
-Clean as Hell and No Rice
-Mods:
Iceman||Greddy 4-1 Header||Greddy SP Cat-Back||AFX UDP||Magnecore 8.5mm Plug Wires||NGK Plugs(hotter)||Susupension Technique Springs||RRE Rear Camber Kit||Front and Rear Upper Sturt Bars||Konig Rated-R 17x7(white)||Falken GRB 225/45 Tires
All Motor or Turbo...hmmmm

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratorVX100Oct-30-01 01:10 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#3825, "RE: installing springs"
In response to Reply # 0

that looks like it

and actually with lower springs you might not even need the compressor. I remember a while ago when installing shocks in my car, some of hte springs didn't need the compressor to be put back on the car

but better to have it

"Keep on charging the enemy, so long as there is life."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.589 @ 88.22 MPH
2001 DSM Shootout Winner - NT Class

Modifications: GS-T muffler, Iceman cold air intake, AFX underdrive pulley, Brospeed header, Apexi Super AFC, Extrude Honed intake manifold, KYB AGX shocks, Powerslot front rotors, Porterfield R4S front brake pads, and occationally Mazda RX-7 rims with 225/50VR16 Michelin Pilot SX-GT tires

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

klipzracerOct-30-01 01:14 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4006 posts,
#3826, "RE: installing springs"
In response to Reply # 2

and you can rent those at autozone and just pay a deposit and get it back after you return it.

Chris Dishmon
chrisdishmon@hotmail.com or
chrisdishmon@yahoo.com (pretty original, huh?)

http://www.threebrain.com/weeeeee.html

1990 GSX (14.1 in the 1/4 mile, so far)
1997 RS (it just looks neat)
http://www.homestead.com/klipzracer/index.html

1TuffRSOct-30-01 01:46 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2338 posts,
#3827, "RE: installing springs"
In response to Reply # 3

cool, that pic is from the autozone website. I would rather have it while installing the springs incase I need it rather than having to bum a ride to the nearest autozone

-Toney
'97 RS
TDaug@yahoo.com

Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed (totaled)
15.4606@88.42 Mph
96 Toyota Celica GT

davedOct-30-01 02:03 PM
Old School 2GNTer
665 posts,
#3828, "RE: installing springs"
In response to Reply # 4

Trust me you need those to take off your old springs!!! But that is the right tool for the job. Yes it is very true you might not need it to put you new springs on but you gotta use that bitch to get the stock ones off. I didn't have to use it to put my Skunk2 coilovers on, just had to use it to take my old shit off.

1999 Eclipse RS (all show)
1990 Turbo Eclipse (race)

tenzoeclipseOct-30-01 03:13 PM
Old School 2GNTer
236 posts,
#3829, "RE: installing springs"
In response to Reply # 5

A pair of locking pliers would come in handy.

Konig 18" Tantrums
Tenzo 1.5" springs
Aerogear 6-vent hood
GTR-wide wing
97+ headlights
"sports" altezza's
Taylor 8mm red wires
Brospeed header
StoneRaci

Logic3Oct-30-01 03:38 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1227 posts,
#3830, "RE: installing springs"
In response to Reply # 6

Ewww...locking pliars. Be very carful with those if you use them. You can f*uck your strut up....don't ask.

Logic3
-1999 RS NSW
-logic3@webspawner.com
-Mods:
Iceman||Greddy 4-1 Header||Greddy SP Cat-Back||AFX UDP||Magnecore 8.5mm Plug Wires||NGK Plugs(hotter)||Susupension Technique Springs||RRE Rear Camber Kit||Front and Rear Upper Sturt Bars||Konig Rated-R 17x7(white)||Falken GRB 225/45 Tires

ModeratoreclipzGSTOct-30-01 03:46 PM
Old School 2GNTer
7335 posts,
#3831, "RE: installing springs"
In response to Reply # 7

Yep! thats exactly how I fukked up my strut (I was too ashamed to admit it before though)
I had pushed the boot up as far as it would go before I clamped down but guess it wasn't good enough.... There should be a better way to hold the piston other than that little thing at the top. After you've back the nut off that far, what else can you do?

-Tony 98' GS-T

http://www.hometown.aol.com/turboclipz/index.html
AIM: ynot420247 or gotBOOST2g
yeah, "diamonds are forever" unless yur timing belt goes or you get crankwalk...

Originally posted by Avenger
When I raise the BS flag ... it's a really big fucking flag and I raise it really fucking high too.

"Never whistle while your pissing." ~The illuminatus Trilogy

1TuffRSOct-31-01 05:37 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2338 posts,
#3832, "RE: installing springs"
In response to Reply # 8

I have to ask, why would one of those be useful and how can you fuck up your strut with it

-Toney
'97 RS
TDaug@yahoo.com

Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed (totaled)
15.4606@88.42 Mph
96 Toyota Celica GT

klipzracerOct-31-01 09:25 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4006 posts,
#3833, "RE: installing springs"
In response to Reply # 9

the teeth from a set of vise grips will scratch up the strut and puncture the seal in the strut body. when i take struts apart i take a towel and fold it over and put it inside my vise grips so about three layers of towel protect the shock shaft(hehehe, i said shaft) and doesn't f@#k it up.

Chris Dishmon

Logic3Oct-31-01 10:58 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1227 posts,
#3834, "RE: installing springs"
In response to Reply # 10

I completely stripped the top of the strut. It was horrible. I had to use a drill to make a zillion holes before I could take a hammer and break the strut shaft in half.

Do what Klipz said and wrap the top of the strut with a towel or two or three.

Logic3
-1999 RS NSW
-logic3@webspawner.com
-Mods:

ModeratorEvuLFleAOct-31-01 12:05 PM
Old School 2GNTer
9791 posts,
#3835, "RE: installing springs"
In response to Reply # 11

I have no clue how you guys broke your shit... Im confused I guess. I just did my rears by myself and used the spring compressor at the shop. On of the spring compressors on the wall type deals....

------------------------------------------------
98 ESi
95 GS

tenzoeclipseOct-31-01 12:09 PM
Old School 2GNTer
236 posts,
#3836, "RE: installing springs"
In response to Reply # 11

Use the spring compressor until the spring isnt touching. Next take the locking pliers and hold the top of the strut(flat peice) hold that and then with a wrench take the bolt off. You might want to spray it down and let it sit for a min. You dont want any tension on the bolt, it will go alot easier.

Konig 18" Tantrums
Tenzo 1.5" springs
Aerogear 6-vent hood
GTR-wide wing
97+ headlights
"sports" altezza's
Taylor 8mm red wires
Brospeed header
StoneRaci

1TuffRSOct-31-01 02:16 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2338 posts,
#3837, "RE: installing springs"
In response to Reply # 13

Oh cool, so I am just using the locking pliers as leverage to get the nut off the top of the strut.

-Toney
'97 RS
TDaug@yahoo.com

Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed (totaled)
15.4606@88.42 Mph
96 Toyota Celica GT

1TuffRSNov-05-01 08:27 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2338 posts,
#3838, "RE: installing springs"
In response to Reply # 14

I would just like to say UPS aint bout shit! They misrouted my package twice and it still hasnt gotten here. Its a damn shame that I pay for 3 day shipping and dont get my damn package for 7 (they said expect it on Tues). Sorry, but I needed to vent. I installed my speakers and made a PVC cold air intake and wanted to install the springs at the same time, but UPS fucked me over! OK that was the last time, I couldnt help myself.

-Toney
'97 RS
TDaug@yahoo.com

Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed (totaled)
15.4606@88.42 Mph
96 Toyota Celica GT

klipzracerNov-05-01 02:40 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4006 posts,
#3839, "RE: installing springs"
In response to Reply # 15

hahaha! UPS is a bitch! i will wait at home all day for some ish and they will deliver it as soon as i leave. f@#kin bastards.

Chris Dishmon

Logic3Nov-06-01 07:19 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1227 posts,
#3840, "F@CK UPS!"
In response to Reply # 16

They were suppose to drop off my digital camera friday but misrouted my package. It ended up in in Knoxville somehow. So I called em and they said it would be here Monday(yesterday). Guess what, no UPS man. So I called em this morning and they said it would be here today....I can only hope. I hate UPS!

Logic3
-1999 RS NSW
-logic3@webspawner.com

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #3823 Previous topic | Next topic