Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #3662
View in linear mode

Subject: "sign of warped rotors?" Previous topic | Next topic
IrfanSep-15-01 10:44 AM
Old School 2GNTer
566 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3662, "sign of warped rotors?"

well im looking for an excuse to get my mom to get new rotors, but i cant lie..

when i brake i put the tranny in neutral, then brake.. and sometimes it feels like the braking isnt consistent... feels like im letting off the brakes and then on again.. but im pressing firm. feels like mayeb the pads arent makign full contact... could this be the lines stretching, pads? (i just got new pads 10000 miles ago, so i have 10K to go... or the rotorS? or maybe its normal?

2GNT Member #76, since Fall 1999

Drives: 2004 Mazda RX-8
Drove: 1999 Saab 9-5 SE
1999 Eclipse GS Hahn Stage 1

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: sign of warped rotors?, RxR_Eclipse, Sep-15-01 12:36 PM, #1
RE: sign of warped rotors?, littledog, Sep-15-01 04:30 PM, #2
RE: sign of warped rotors?, RxR_Eclipse, Sep-15-01 05:30 PM, #3
RE: sign of warped rotors?, HadesOmega, Sep-18-01 08:21 PM, #4
RE: sign of warped rotors?, Irfan, Sep-19-01 07:25 AM, #5
      RE: sign of warped rotors?, Marctronixx, Sep-19-01 09:29 AM, #6
           RE: sign of warped rotors?, Amish_Eclipse, Sep-21-01 02:54 PM, #7
                RE: sign of warped rotors?, Amish_Eclipse, Sep-21-01 02:57 PM, #8
                     RE: sign of warped rotors?, Irfan, Sep-21-01 04:22 PM, #9
                          RE: sign of warped rotors?, vegasdsmr, Sep-21-01 07:57 PM, #10
                               RE: sign of warped rotors?, Irfan, Oct-28-01 02:26 PM, #11
                               RE: sign of warped rotors?, Super20G, Oct-29-01 04:13 AM, #12
                                    RE: sign of warped rotors?, Irfan, Oct-29-01 06:52 AM, #13
                                         RE: sign of warped rotors?, Fast420A, Oct-29-01 07:11 AM, #14
                                              RE: sign of warped rotors?, RS_Guy, Oct-30-01 08:13 AM, #15
RE: sign of warped rotors?, thedawg, Oct-31-01 05:40 AM, #16
      RE: sign of warped rotors?, Irfan, Oct-31-01 06:46 PM, #17

RxR_EclipseSep-15-01 12:36 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1792 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3663, "RE: sign of warped rotors?"
In response to Reply # 0

Dude it only took me one time on the track to kill the crappy mitsu rotors, and yes that is what it feels like. Some people refer to it as "leapfrogging". Give nopi or summit a call and get the Brembro vented rotors, It almost felt like I got ABS after I installed them and a new set of racing brake pads. I havent been able to overheat or warp them yet and I am VERY hard on them (I go through a set of front pads about every two trips to the track). You should get them soon, if you had to stop quickly at high speed(70 or above) the car would shake so hard you would proboly loose control. good luck.

RxR_Eclipse out

1995 RS
16x8 Momo's
CAI
4-2-1 Headers
2.75 in Tenzo cat-back exhaust
carbon fiber s%^t
2nd gen altezza's
GTS carbon look headlight covers
Apex-I Super AFC
Eiboch lowered
Momo pedals
Indiglo gauges
Autometer gauges/pillar pod
Front, Rear, upper and lower strut braces(neuspeed)
Clarion auto pc with navigation sytem
Clear front corners
Ported throttle bodie(55mm)
Racing stripes (one 2" one 6" side by side down the passenger side)
Custom front grill
"mitsubishi inside" sticker (my favorite)
I got lots more mods but Im tired of typing

Kevin
The old:

The new:

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

littledogSep-15-01 04:30 PM
Old School 2GNTer
25 posts,
#3664, "RE: sign of warped rotors?"
In response to Reply # 1

RxR, what kind of momo's do you have?

1995 Eagle Talon (RIP)

RxR_EclipseSep-15-01 05:30 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1792 posts,
#3665, "RE: sign of warped rotors?"
In response to Reply # 2

I got the 5 spoke 3 piece ones, they are powder coated silver and finished in a silver flak. I cant rember the name of them and the instructions were in Italian, yes they came with instructions no joke. When I get my camera back this weekend ill send you a pic.

RxR_Eclipse out.

1995 RS
16x8 Momo's
CAI
4-2-1 Headers
2.75 in Tenzo cat-back exhaust
carbon fiber s%^t
2nd gen altezza's
GTS carbon look headlight covers
Apex-I Super AFC
Eiboch lowered
Momo pedals
Indiglo gauges
Autometer gauges/pillar pod
Front, Rear, upper and lower strut braces(neuspeed)
Clarion auto pc with navigation sytem
Clear front corners
Ported throttle bodie(55mm)
Racing stripes (one 2" one 6" side by side down the passenger side)
Custom front grill
"mitsubishi inside" sticker (my favorite)
I got lots more mods but Im tired of typing

Kevin
The old:

The new:

HadesOmegaSep-18-01 08:21 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4529 posts,
#3666, "RE: sign of warped rotors?"
In response to Reply # 1

LAST EDITED ON 19-Sep-01 AT 01:25 AM (PST)

You can tell they're warped if you feel pulsating when braking. You shouldn't put it in neutral when your braking either. At least for manual I'm sure because your only using the brakes to slow the car down, if you use the engine and the brakes to slow the car down you won't get much fade. Only the other hand upgrading brakes will certainly help, I get tons of fade now, I think it's because my pads are wearing out. I'm looking in doing a 2 piston caliper upgrade.

Oh yeah I was planning on doing this myself when I get a little cash (damn intercooler) but at www.R-speed.com they are selling crossdrilled/slotted rotors. I don't hear NE1 talk about crossdrilled/slotted rotors just drilled or slotted but I still want em. They're selling them for 35 each so you can't beat that price, hell I might get the rear one while I'm at it. My theory on these rotors are that they are mildly drilled and slotted, so they're no full race rotors, so they might last a little longer and resist cracking due to not being extreme. I might just do this so I have something for now before I actually go out and do the 2 piston mod.

95' Eclipse RS
AFX Pulley | Autometer Bezel Gauge Holder | Modified A/F Ratio Gauge | B&M Super Oil Cooler | Energy Suspension Shifter Bushings | JAZ Oil Catchcan | Performance Muffler | HKS Air Filter | KYB AGX Shox | Skunk2 Coilovers | FU, RU, RL, and RRE FL Tie/Strut Bars | RS to TSi Rear Disc Mod | RS to TSi upgraded F&R Sway Bar | 97' Spyder Eclipse 5 Spoke Wheels | HKS Standard Blow off Valve | HKS TYPE 1 Turbo Timer | Star Stage 1 T3/T04E BB Turbo Kit | Starion Front Mount Intercooler | Schroth Autocontrol 3-Point Harness | and 1 HiGhLy SkIlLeD DrIvEr! |
Performance b4 Lookz, a car can only be as fast as it's driver! ^_^

http://www.hadesomega.info -car specz and movies 95 Eclipse RS | 76' 280Z | 89' MR2 | 99 Neon | 91 Zephyr
Who sez FF can't drift?

IrfanSep-19-01 07:25 AM
Old School 2GNTer
566 posts,
#3667, "RE: sign of warped rotors?"
In response to Reply # 4

im always weary of no-name brands.. something fishy abotu 35 bucks each.. but cross drilled and slotted woudl be awesome. i dotn like keeping it in gear when i brake, i feel like its just straining the tranny for no reason.. id rather replace pads then a tranny.

MarctronixxSep-19-01 09:29 AM
Old School 2GNTer
571 posts,
#3668, "RE: sign of warped rotors?"
In response to Reply # 5

yeah wne you use the trans to brake, you are putitng all of the energy form the tires to the engine.. that will put stress on the motor.. i drive fire trucks (but not for long...) and when we run emergency, it is advised that we dont use the engine when braking (on manual X-mission engines) because of this undue stress and wear.. hell, if thats what the big names in diesel engines (segraves, E-one, Pierce, Detriot Diesel) recommend, thats what imma do in my lil ol gas eingine car.. :p

my advice, when you are slowing down, keep it in gear.. when you see (or feel.. if your good enuff to feel this) the tach drop to regular idle, downshift and then do the same until you get to first...less wear on the brakes and less gas wasted.. just my 10 cents (w/interest)

'99 Eclipse RS (Special Edition)
Iceman Cold Air Intake (Blue)
Powerslot X-drilled rotors w/Axxis Metal Master
brake pads
Myrtle Shoot 18's w/ 215-35-18 Nitto
NT450 Extreme Tires
Indiglo guages and lighted valve stems
Custom audio/video system
NGK BK 5's
Magnecore KV-85 plug wires

1/4 mile in 37.220 sec's

Amish_EclipseSep-21-01 02:54 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3026 posts,
#3669, "RE: sign of warped rotors?"
In response to Reply # 6

Irfan, when your stoppin don't shift to neutral than brake. brake while in gear than shift down to your next lowest gear and let the clutch out slow just to where it hits the gear and the engine will bring the trans up just let it out slow or your synchros will shit a brick. eventually when you downshift try to tap the gas to bring your revs up to where it would be in that gear at that speed.

"Canada - The Maple Leaf State"
-Me

BKR5E-11's
cone filter
brospeed muffler from mx-3
exhaust leak (mad power gain)

http://www.ocaddict.com

thanks beefgg for the sig

Amish_EclipseSep-21-01 02:57 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3026 posts,
#3670, "RE: sign of warped rotors?"
In response to Reply # 7

if your just drivin normal a general rule of thumb on that rev matchin thing is to just rev to 3k rpms than drop the clutch

"Canada - The Maple Leaf State"
-Me

BKR5E-11's
cone filter
brospeed muffler from mx-3
exhaust leak (mad power gain)

http://www.ocaddict.com

thanks beefgg for the sig

IrfanSep-21-01 04:22 PM
Old School 2GNTer
566 posts,
#3671, "RE: sign of warped rotors?"
In response to Reply # 8

how can i mess the synchros if im just going to a stop while in neutral? i know all about double clutching, but i only do that if im not coming to a COMPLETE stop.

vegasdsmrSep-21-01 07:57 PM
Old School 2GNTer
4713 posts,
#3672, "RE: sign of warped rotors?"
In response to Reply # 9

youll mess the synchros if your goin like 70 and you drop it in 2nd to slow down(that is if you can). the engine wont be able to handle the down shift, and there they go................

Sean G
vegaspimpin 99 gs ounce edition (wish it was a Q P)
http://seangordon1.tripdod.com
site is messd up 4 awhile

03 srt-4 13.130@112.47mph (n2o, stock turbo, 10/2003)
now: 20g, portfueler, bpu+++ (track/dyno times tbd...)

i farted on your wiki

IrfanOct-28-01 02:26 PM
Old School 2GNTer
566 posts,
#3673, "RE: sign of warped rotors?"
In response to Reply # 10

yeah, so why are peopel sayying i'll mess them up if i put it in neutral to stop

Super20GOct-29-01 04:13 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2545 posts,
Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3674, "RE: sign of warped rotors?"
In response to Reply # 10

I guess the tranny is pretty strong then cause I went to shift 4th at over 100 and hit 2nd and tacked past revlimit and then bounced back to rev limit and threw off my accessory belts... put new belts on and all is good, thank god.
--
Brad Rickard
98 GS HRC Stage V (nuff said)

IrfanOct-29-01 06:52 AM
Old School 2GNTer
566 posts,
#3675, "RE: sign of warped rotors?"
In response to Reply # 12

damn! 2nd gear at 100?!?! must be pretty tough.

Fast420AOct-29-01 07:11 AM
Old School 2GNTer
4370 posts,
#3676, "RE: sign of warped rotors?"
In response to Reply # 13

Usually you have to shift out of 2nd at 65mph and out of 3rd at 100mph. I think RS_GUY did that same thing once and said that his car reved all the way to 9000 rpm or so and it was still okay. At that point the 7200 rpm rev limit doesn't do anything because the gearing makes the engine go to 9000. I saw a site about a guy that did the same thing to his buddy's M3. The engine came apart right away! That's amazing to me that our Chrysler engine can over rev and be fine but a fine German engineered racing engine over revs and comes apart! I love our cars!

http://hometown.aol.com/ohshootuhh/

All Motor Beast in need of MAJOR TUNING

Perf:
KYB AGX Struts
Neuspeed Sport Springs
5 Strut Bars (2 F/U, F/L, R/U, R/L)
Sprint Front Camber Kit
$15 Rear Camber Kit
MSD DIS-2 Ignition System
Some Regrind Cams that need High Compression (which I don't have)
Ported Intake Manifold
Ported Throttle Body
Corbin's A/F Gauge
Nameless Cold Air Intake with a K&N Filter
Custom 2 1/2 inch exhaust with Dual DTM Muffler
Empty Catalytic Convertor
Energy Suspension Motor Mount inserts
Hurricane_GS Short Shifter
Symborsky Shift Kit
Clutchmasters Stage 3 Modular
225/50/16inch Wheels and Tires

Audio:
Alpine CD Head Unit
Alpine Flex4 25W X 4 for Fronts and Rears
Alpine V-12 450W X 1 for Subs
Infinity Reference Series 5 1/4 and 1 inch tweeter component systems for fronts and rears
Blaupunkt 3 way 6x9's in the rears
3 MTX 5000 10" 12 ohm subs running 4 ohms mono

Flame Red SRT-4 GT40,8.5:1 Built Shortblock, Brian Crower Stage 2 Cams, etc etc etc...

RS_GuyOct-30-01 08:13 AM
Old School 2GNTer
484 posts,
#3677, "RE: sign of warped rotors?"
In response to Reply # 14

Hehe guilty as charged

I was trying to go faster so I downshifted from 5th to 2nd.. on a bone stock (at the time) 96K engine... Went somewhat past 9000rpm, coz the needle went crazy and went to the limit of the tach...

...Caught it kinda fast with the clutch, sh!t a brick, and then drove home. No problems there, and certainly no rev-limiting...

Guy
RS_Guy

"If I wanted a 4G63, I'd have bought an EVO"

http://www.GTuned.com

-----
www.GTuned.com

thedawgOct-31-01 05:40 AM
Donating 2GNT member
6287 posts,
#3678, "RE: sign of warped rotors?"
In response to Reply # 1

Hahaha, man it feels more like you got ABS with the stock mitsu rotors! ...Vibrating like the doors are gonna come off, and no stopping power hehehehee.

Dan Green
99RS

>get the Brembro vented rotors, It almost felt
>like I got ABS after I installed them
>You should get them soon, if you had to stop quickly at
>high speed(70 or above) the car would shake so hard
>you would proboly loose control.

IrfanOct-31-01 06:46 PM
Old School 2GNTer
566 posts,
#3679, "RE: sign of warped rotors?"
In response to Reply # 16

yeah... feels like ABS.. til i hit some ice.

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #3662 Previous topic | Next topic