Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #3644
View in linear mode

Subject: ".....and the pedal felt like mush" Previous topic | Next topic
1TuffRSSep-15-01 02:42 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2338 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3644, ".....and the pedal felt like mush"

Last night I was doing some "spirited" driving and when I came up to a stoplight I had to mash my brake pedal all the way to the floor in order for it to stop. Plus I got this nasty nasty smell coming off of them, I have axxis pads so I dont know if they were the cause or not, but this is a first. I dont know what that was all about, but they didnt start to feel normal again for about 30 min. I also hear a click-click-click now whenever I drive with the radio off and the windows down, could this be because of my hard braking during my little session or could it have been the raccoon I ran over. How do I stop this crap from happening again???

Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed (totaled)
15.4606@88.42 Mph
96 Toyota Celica GT
88 Toyota Supra NA-T (w/ sports package)
Got Boost?? Hell yeah I-6 turbo powah baby!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: .....and the pedal felt like mush, RxR_Eclipse, Sep-16-01 03:43 AM, #1
RE: .....and the pedal felt like mush, 1TuffRS, Sep-16-01 04:47 AM, #2
if you do not have any leaks......, TeamDeanoD, Sep-16-01 07:38 AM, #3
RE: if you do not have any leaks......, RxR_Eclipse, Sep-16-01 12:25 PM, #4
RE: if you do not have any leaks......, VegasGSguy, Oct-27-01 10:20 AM, #11
RE: if you do not have any leaks......, TeamMichael_97RS, Sep-18-01 04:48 AM, #5
      RE: if you do not have any leaks......, 1TuffRS, Sep-18-01 12:39 PM, #6
           does not cost that much to find out, TeamDeanoD, Sep-18-01 01:48 PM, #7
                RE: does not cost that much to find out, jeclipse14, Sep-20-01 05:05 AM, #8
                     RE: does not cost that much to find out, 1TuffRS, Sep-20-01 06:35 AM, #9
                          RE: does not cost that much to find out, Amish_Eclipse, Sep-21-01 02:48 PM, #10

RxR_EclipseSep-16-01 03:43 AM
Old School 2GNTer
1792 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#3645, "RE: .....and the pedal felt like mush"
In response to Reply # 0

That happend to me at the track once, but it wansn't a racoon it was a ground hog. No seriously I got a small hole in my front drivers brake line(from a rock or something I couldnt tell you) and it hosed my wheel, disk, pad, and in turn the wheel hosed my car all the way up the side. I would try bleeding your brakes and searching for a small leak somewhere in the line.
RxR_Eclipse out.

1995 RS
16x8 Momo's
CAI
4-2-1 Headers
2.75 in Tenzo cat-back exhaust
carbon fiber s%^t
2nd gen altezza's
GTS carbon look headlight covers
Apex-I Super AFC
Eiboch lowered
Momo pedals
Indiglo gauges
Autometer gauges/pillar pod
Front, Rear, upper and lower strut braces(neuspeed)
Clarion auto pc with navigation sytem
Clear front corners
Ported throttle bodie(55mm)
Racing stripes (one 2" one 6" side by side down the passenger side)
Custom front grill
"mitsubishi inside" sticker (my favorite)
I got lots more mods but Im tired of typing

Kevin
The old:

The new:

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

1TuffRSSep-16-01 04:47 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2338 posts,
#3646, "RE: .....and the pedal felt like mush"
In response to Reply # 1

I read in one of your posts that you have brembo rotors. Are they the same size as the stock rotors or are they oversized?? How much were they?? What difference did you feel??

Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed (totaled)
15.4606@88.42 Mph
96 Toyota Celica GT

TeamDeanoDSep-16-01 07:38 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1099 posts,
#3647, "if you do not have any leaks......"
In response to Reply # 0

then you boiled your brake fluid. Your current fluid has absorbed water and boiled if your pedal actually went to the floor. If you just lost brakes and your pedal felt the same, then you experienced brake fade due to high temps. Change your fluid and bleed the brakes until new fresh fluid comes out. This will fix your problem. A good cheap brake fluid is the Ford Heavy Duty Dot 3 synthetic. Do not use any silicone brake fluid. I use Wagner Severe Duty Dot 5.1 synthetic fluid. I even flushed my clutch system with it.

DeanoD
1997RS-NeverTurbo
#62 STS SCCA Arkansas Region
http://arscca.org

97 RS(PTE SC-61, Built Long Block, Electromotive Tec 3)It's Here!

RxR_EclipseSep-16-01 12:25 PM
Old School 2GNTer
1792 posts,
#3648, "RE: if you do not have any leaks......"
In response to Reply # 3

Got mine from summit racing, they are the same size in diameter but have quite a bit larger vents>like twice the size of ours>. I got them I think for 88 each ......or was that for both..... mmmm I cant rember. I do know that It was well worth it, It feels like I have ABS. I did mate them with some metallic racing pads. the squeel, and black dust is all over most of the time but I STOP and fast. The pads wear out fast but if you do alot of 'spirited' driving it is worth the $ and time to change them once a year.

1995 RS
16x8 Momo's
CAI
4-2-1 Headers
2.75 in Tenzo cat-back exhaust
carbon fiber s%^t
2nd gen altezza's
GTS carbon look headlight covers
Apex-I Super AFC
Eiboch lowered
Momo pedals
Indiglo gauges
Autometer gauges/pillar pod
Front, Rear, upper and lower strut braces(neuspeed)
Clarion auto pc with navigation sytem
Clear front corners
Ported throttle bodie(55mm)
Racing stripes (one 2" one 6" side by side down the passenger side)
Custom front grill
"mitsubishi inside" sticker (my favorite)
I got lots more mods but Im tired of typing

Kevin
The old:

The new:

VegasGSguyOct-27-01 10:20 AM
Old School 2GNTer
13 posts,
#3649, "RE: if you do not have any leaks......"
In response to Reply # 4

I found out the other day that if you get the cheap ass brake pads, then they will glaze over the rotor and they will begin to squeak, I know this because it happened to me. You have to get like ceramic or semi-metallic (i think) brake pads for imports. I dunno just some words for thought

95 GS Baby (Ohhh how I long for an X at the end of GS)
Focus Exhaust
Neon in Grill
Varaad Scanner in Window
Other than that sadly stock

TeamMichael_97RSSep-18-01 04:48 AM
Donating 2GNT member
5866 posts,
#3650, "RE: if you do not have any leaks......"
In response to Reply # 3

Yeah unless you find a leak I'm guessing you either over heated your brake fluid and or rotors and pads. SOunds like a case of brake fade to me...

"Character is doing the right thing when no one is looking."
Michael J. Kulaga e-mail: Michael_97RS@2gntDSM.zzn.com
aol IM: MJKulga Website: http://highlander.dsmpower.com/

Injen CAI, 55mm TB, Hooker 4-1 Stepped Header, GS-T Muffler, AFX UDP, S-AFC, 8.5mm Magnecor Wires, SS Clutch Line, NRG Susp. Motor Mount Ins., FU/RU/RL STBs, TSW Blade 17x7.5, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 215/45ZR-17. Front KVR Cross-Drilled Rotors and Carbon Fiber Pads

And in my Room: Rear disc brake conversion kit, SS Brake Lines, Rear KVR Cross Drilled Rotors and KVR Carbon Fiber Kevlar Pads, EGT (partially installed)

Waiting for: Front Lower Tie Bar, Ported/Polished Intake Manifold

Firefly:
Mal: You don't know me, son, so let me put this to you plainly: If I ever kill you, you'll be awake. You'll be facing me. And you'll be armed.

1TuffRSSep-18-01 12:39 PM
Old School 2GNTer
2338 posts,
#3651, "RE: if you do not have any leaks......"
In response to Reply # 5

Well I just got finished driving my car for the first time since this shit happened and I can BARELY stop. This is definitely a problem. Will bleeding the brakes and putting in new fluid fix this??? Please HELP!

Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed (totaled)
15.4606@88.42 Mph
96 Toyota Celica GT

TeamDeanoDSep-18-01 01:48 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1099 posts,
#3652, "does not cost that much to find out"
In response to Reply # 6

1 quart of brake fluid and small piece of hose to connect to the bleed screw. If braking still sucks, take some fine sand paper and scuff your pads. You could have severly glazed them over and may need replacing. If you are not a mechanic and have to pay someone to do this, I suggest buying the brake fluid and new front pads. Take it to a brake shop and have them replace the pads, turn the rotors and completely swap out your old fluid for new. When you leave, your problem will be solved. I do not skimp on brakes......small price to pay for safe motoring.

DeanoD
1997RS-NeverTurbo
#62 STS SCCA Arkansas Region
http://arscca.org

97 RS(PTE SC-61, Built Long Block, Electromotive Tec 3)It's Here!

jeclipse14Sep-20-01 05:05 AM
Old School 2GNTer
93 posts,
#3653, "RE: does not cost that much to find out"
In response to Reply # 7

That clicking noise i get that all the time i dont know if it is the same problem. But what mine was sometimes i get rocks in my wheels. And it is the most annoying thing in the world besides break squeeking.

1TuffRSSep-20-01 06:35 AM
Old School 2GNTer
2338 posts,
#3654, "RE: does not cost that much to find out"
In response to Reply # 8

That may have been my problem becuz it stopped clicking yesterday. I didnt even get to the dealer and it stopped, so I was like f*ck it, i'm chillin

Toney
'97 RS 5 Speed (totaled)
15.4606@88.42 Mph
96 Toyota Celica GT

Amish_EclipseSep-21-01 02:48 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3026 posts,
#3655, "RE: does not cost that much to find out"
In response to Reply # 9

if i'm goin pretty fast like over a hundred and i start hittin the brakes i hit the pedal and it goes in a good amount than pushes back some and gets firm. everytime you hit it after this point it will be firm and brakin is for shit. i have warped rotors definelty but could anything else contribute to such shitty performance

"Canada - The Maple Leaf State"
-Me

BKR5E-11's
cone filter
brospeed muffler from mx-3
exhaust leak (mad power gain)

http://www.ocaddict.com

thanks beefgg for the sig

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #3644 Previous topic | Next topic