Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 3 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #33544
View in linear mode

Subject: "Rear sliding " Previous topic | Next topic
TurbchargdSpydrJan-27-12 03:46 PM
Member since Jul 25th 2010
159 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33544, "Rear sliding "

Just like the title says, every time I hit a bump on the back wheel, the rear just slides out...I haven't opened up the rear yet but im just looking for some input, maybe someone has had a similar problem. Some info: My car is lowered 2 in' on goldlines and i have 225/35/19 tires on 19/7.5 rims. I do remember that the rubber pieces that go under the mount of the shocks are worn. I am not sure if I have a rear sway bar or not. My goldline springs are rusted and what not. Finally, I do have a front and a rear strut bar. Any input would be much appreciated, thanks!

Last of a dying breed...

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Rear sliding , John99RS, Jan-21-12 04:38 PM, #1
RE: Rear sliding , TurbchargdSpydr, Jan-22-12 12:47 PM, #2
      RE: Rear sliding , John99RS, Jan-23-12 09:41 AM, #3
      RE: Rear sliding , LE30vm, Jan-25-12 01:01 PM, #4
           RE: Rear sliding , TurbchargdSpydr, Jan-25-12 08:41 PM, #5
                RE: Rear sliding , AdministratorCODE4, Jan-27-12 03:46 PM, #6
                     RE: Rear sliding , TurbchargdSpydr, Jan-27-12 04:59 PM, #7
                          RE: Rear sliding , eclipse420ags, Apr-23-12 11:53 AM, #8
                               RE: Rear sliding , 740 turbo brick, Apr-23-12 05:23 PM, #9

John99RSJan-21-12 04:38 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1191 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#33547, "RE: Rear sliding "
In response to Reply # 0

Sounds like one or both struts might be blown out. When the rear struts went out on my wife's Maxima, the rear was all over the place because the struts weren't keeping the wheels planted firmly on the ground.

When you push down on the rear of the car really hard, does it bounce back up realy fast or does it still bounce up an down a few times kind of slowly? If it's all mushy feeling, then the struts are no good. Hope this helps..

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3130861

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

TurbchargdSpydrJan-22-12 12:47 PM
159 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33548, "RE: Rear sliding "
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by John99RS
Sounds like one or both struts might be blown out. When the rear struts went out on my wife's Maxima, the rear was all over the place because the struts weren't keeping the wheels planted firmly on the ground. When you push down on the rear of the car really hard, does it bounce back up realy fast or does it still bounce up an down a few times kind of slowly? If it's all mushy feeling, then the struts are no good. Hope this helps..

Thanks, I will test this and get back to you asap, however, can this have anything to do with the fact that my rear Agx struts aren't compressed? There an inch or two higher than they should be..

Last of a dying breed...

John99RSJan-23-12 09:41 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1191 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#33550, "RE: Rear sliding "
In response to Reply # 2

Sorry, can't really help you on that one. I don't have any experience with adjustable shocks/struts.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3130861

LE30vmJan-25-12 01:01 PM
Member since Sep 22nd 2011
37 posts,
#33555, "RE: Rear sliding "
In response to Reply # 2

Not having them installed properly could have something to do with it. Check your bushings and have those shocks compressed properly.

2007 - Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 - stock work SUV
1995 Talon TSi - Sold
1996 Base 2.5" Exhaust headers back, CAI, searching for long block to build and drop in.- Sold
1996 RS Daily Driver - Blown motor
1997 RS NA Built motor - Sold

TurbchargdSpydrJan-25-12 08:41 PM
159 posts,
#33559, "RE: Rear sliding "
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by LE30vm
Not having them installed properly could have something to do with it. Check your bushings and have those shocks compressed properly.

Well, the only possible issue I can see other than the top mount rub pieces would be that I installed them backwards! I installed them with the knob facing to the outside of the car, however while surfing the web, I saw a picture of someone who had them installed so that the knobs were facing each other or towards the inside of the vehicle!

Last of a dying breed...

AdministratorCODE4Jan-27-12 03:46 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#33561, "RE: Rear sliding "
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by TurbchargdSpydr
Well, the only possible issue I can see other than the top mount rub pieces would be that I installed them backwards! I installed them with the knob facing to the outside of the car, however while surfing the web, I saw a picture of someone who had them installed so that the knobs were facing each other or towards the inside of the vehicle!

Who is to say that the random image you found while surfing is correct? Have you contacted the manufacturer or located an install manual (if one exists) to find out if orientation matters?

Basing assumptions on an image on the Internet is the last thing that should sway your opinion on what is credible.

---

2012 2500HD LML

TurbchargdSpydrJan-27-12 04:59 PM
159 posts,
#33562, "RE: Rear sliding "
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by CODE4
Originally posted by TurbchargdSpydr Well, the only possible issue I can see other than the top mount rub pieces would be that I installed them backwards! I installed them with the knob facing to the outside of the car, however while surfing the web, I saw a picture of someone who had them installed so that the knobs were facing each other or towards the inside of the vehicle!
Who is to say that the random image you found while surfing is correct? Have you contacted the manufacturer or located an install manual (if one exists) to find out if orientation matters? Basing assumptions on an image on the Internet is the last thing that should sway your opinion on what is credible.

Oh, I didn't say I was going to flip them, I just pointed it out as a possibility. I was also hoping that someone who previously installed them could point me to the right direction. Dave, how could you even begin to fathom the possibility of me doing such a thing lol

- Besides, before I mess with anything else, I must change the rubber mounts on the top first!

Last of a dying breed...

eclipse420agsApr-23-12 11:53 AM
Member since Apr 23rd 2012
99 posts,
#33636, "RE: Rear sliding "
In response to Reply # 7

Mine did thatwhen i lowered my car you have to much negative camber. did the vfaq mod and it went away.

740 turbo brickApr-23-12 05:23 PM
Member since Jun 09th 2008
831 posts,
#33640, "RE: Rear sliding "
In response to Reply # 8

Its probably from being lowered, its bump steer. My buddy had an RS on coil overs and under acceleration the front end would pull one way, and hitting bumps the rear end would walk out one direction or another. Stock ride height for me.

95 Eclipse GS: 10.5:1, Crower 2's and MSII
186 WHP - 150 WTQ
14.697 @ 93.85 MPH......Gone, but not forgotten
99 420A Avenger: Given to my sister
99 GS OZ: Sold
03 Evo 8: Family Car with balls

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #33544 Previous topic | Next topic