Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #33543
View in linear mode

Subject: "Advice on new upper & lower control arms" Previous topic | Next topic
kevoxJan-18-12 11:27 PM
Member since Jul 21st 2007
145 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33543, "Advice on new upper & lower control arms"

I'm looking into my options for upgrading the stock control arms in the front end my 420a and couldn't find much with the SEARCH button so I figured I'd ask.

So, my first instinct is to go get some Mevotech from autopartswarehouse but somehow for $60/arm I think I can do better....
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?N=0&Nr=AND%28wpn_tl_name:Brakes\%2C+Suspension+%26+Steering,wpn_cat_name:Control+Arms\%2C+Thrust+Arms+%26+Components,wpn_scat_name:Control+Arms+%26+Components,part:Control+Arm%29

I ran across these as well...
http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/partdetails/Megan_Racing/Suspension/Trailing_Arms//14881
Anyone here know anything about them? I'm assuming these are replacement control arms? Not 100% sure though as it isn't clear (to me at least).

ANd lastly, I did run across MOOG but didn't get clear info on them. One user said they are good quality but that the factory control arms are cheaper to acquire and are really manufactured by MOOG to begin with so basically just go to the dealer if you want MOOG's?

Any help would be very....helpful! thanks

Managers tell people what to do. Leaders show them how to do it.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Advice on new upper & lower control arms, John99RS, Jan-23-12 09:53 AM, #1
RE: Advice on new upper & lower control arms, kevox, Jan-24-12 01:55 AM, #2
      RE: Advice on new upper & lower control arms, LE30vm, Jan-24-12 03:30 PM, #3
           RE: Advice on new upper & lower control arms, kevox, Feb-05-12 06:00 AM, #4
                RE: Advice on new upper & lower control arms, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Feb-05-12 07:34 PM, #5
                RE: Advice on new upper & lower control arms, LE30vm, Feb-05-12 09:14 PM, #6
                     RE: Advice on new upper & lower control arms, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Feb-05-12 09:22 PM, #7
                          RE: Advice on new upper & lower control arms, LE30vm, Feb-05-12 09:29 PM, #8
                               RE: Advice on new upper & lower control arms, kevox, Feb-05-12 11:59 PM, #9

John99RSJan-23-12 09:53 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1191 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#33551, "RE: Advice on new upper & lower control arms"
In response to Reply # 0

I always go with factory original parts when they are still available. Yeah, they might be more expensive, but I'm not a fan of a lot of aftermarket parts out there. I hear about too many problems with bushings not lasting very long. I'm sure there are a few good ones, however, you pay for what you get. Cheaper is definately not better. I'm still running all the original control arms/trailing arms and it's been 12 years now.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3130861

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

kevoxJan-24-12 01:55 AM
145 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33552, "RE: Advice on new upper & lower control arms"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks for the input, sounds good to me!

LE30vmJan-24-12 03:30 PM
Member since Sep 22nd 2011
37 posts,
#33553, "RE: Advice on new upper & lower control arms"
In response to Reply # 2

When I did some of my suspension stuff I picked up some prothane inserts to replace the aftermarket bushings.

2007 - Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 - stock work SUV
1995 Talon TSi - Sold
1996 Base 2.5" Exhaust headers back, CAI, searching for long block to build and drop in.- Sold
1996 RS Daily Driver - Blown motor
1997 RS NA Built motor - Sold

kevoxFeb-05-12 06:00 AM
145 posts,
#33569, "RE: Advice on new upper & lower control arms"
In response to Reply # 3
Feb-05-12 06:01 AM by kevox

I read somewhere that the prothane control arm inserts were recommended for the upper arms but NOT the lower arms as the lower arms caused premature wear unless OEM inserts were used - how have yours been performing in this area?

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonFeb-05-12 07:34 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#33573, "RE: Advice on new upper & lower control arms"
In response to Reply # 4

Moog is going to be factory quality or better. Moog makes some of the best replacement parts you can buy. They are stock design though. If your looking for aftermarket adjustable stuff, that will be tricky.

FWIW the trailing arm doesnt usually wear out. The Toe arm and lower/upper arm bushing wear out.

Good luck

LE30vmFeb-05-12 09:14 PM
37 posts,
#33574, "RE: Advice on new upper & lower control arms"
In response to Reply # 4

When I used them they were great, but the dsm I used them on decided to leave me stranded in the middle of nowhere; so it got donated -.-

1995 Talon TSi - Sold
1996 Base 2.5" Exhaust headers back, CAI, searching for long block to build and drop in.- Sold

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonFeb-05-12 09:22 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#33575, "RE: Advice on new upper & lower control arms"
In response to Reply # 6
Feb-05-12 09:22 PM by Star Turbo Talon

lol....you referring to the bushings? They are a great replacement but they end up squeeking over the course of a year or two.

My G/f left me standed once.....she got donated too!

LE30vmFeb-05-12 09:29 PM
37 posts,
#33576, "RE: Advice on new upper & lower control arms"
In response to Reply # 7

Lol Yep, About the bushings

I always say I cant have a gf (unless shes a rich girl) AND own a DSM, They both attack my wallet...

1995 Talon TSi - Sold

kevoxFeb-05-12 11:59 PM
145 posts,
#33577, "RE: Advice on new upper & lower control arms"
In response to Reply # 8

Super helpful responses; thank you all!

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #33543 Previous topic | Next topic