Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #33531
View in linear mode

Subject: "Clunk only in reverse and hitting brakes" Previous topic | Next topic
xxsoccerguy55xxJan-07-12 03:00 PM
Member since Jul 26th 2011
68 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33531, "Clunk only in reverse and hitting brakes"
Jan-07-12 03:03 PM by xxsoccerguy55xx

I have a video of me here, backing up. I didn't have it in reverse. It was in neutral and on a hill. While rolling backwards if i hit the brakes it makes a clunking sound. The weird thing is that it doesn't do it while I am driving forward. I don't know if it has something to do with the brakes or the ball joint, or some kind of bushing. In the video, i keep pumping the brakes, that is why you hear a pretty rapid clunking sound. I would love to get this fixed soon, let me know what you guys think.

http://s1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff429/xxsoccerguy55xx/?action=view¤t=video-2012-01-07-15-44-50.mp4

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Clunk only in reverse and hitting brakes, nub, Jan-18-12 03:45 PM, #1
RE: Clunk only in reverse and hitting brakes, nub, Jan-18-12 04:07 PM, #2
      RE: Clunk only in reverse and hitting brakes, xxsoccerguy55xx, Jan-18-12 05:44 PM, #3
           RE: Clunk only in reverse and hitting brakes, LE30vm, Jan-25-12 01:07 PM, #4
                RE: Clunk only in reverse and hitting brakes, AdministratorCODE4, Jan-25-12 06:17 PM, #5
                RE: Clunk only in reverse and hitting brakes, xxsoccerguy55xx, Jan-25-12 08:01 PM, #6

nubJan-18-12 03:45 PM
Member since Feb 12th 2011
26 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33538, "RE: Clunk only in reverse and hitting brakes"
In response to Reply # 0

Checked all the bolts around the brake calipers? Especially the mount brackets? Also could check out the motor mount bolts and crossmember bolts.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

nubJan-18-12 04:07 PM
Member since Feb 12th 2011
26 posts,
#33540, "RE: Clunk only in reverse and hitting brakes"
In response to Reply # 1

Also, an easy way to check the ball joints and bearings is to jack up each wheel and yank on it / kick it in different directions. It shouldn't move or make noise at all.

xxsoccerguy55xxJan-18-12 05:44 PM
68 posts,
#33542, "RE: Clunk only in reverse and hitting brakes"
In response to Reply # 2

I got the car aligned and the tires balanced. The car still pulls to the left and shakes a little( kind of feels like a wobble). I don't know if that could be the same thing making the clunking.

LE30vmJan-25-12 01:07 PM
Member since Sep 22nd 2011
37 posts,
#33556, "RE: Clunk only in reverse and hitting brakes"
In response to Reply # 3

Have you checked your motor mounts? This always happened over the last few months since my mounts were almost non-existant

2007 - Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 - stock work SUV
1995 Talon TSi - Sold
1996 Base 2.5" Exhaust headers back, CAI, searching for long block to build and drop in.- Sold
1996 RS Daily Driver - Blown motor
1997 RS NA Built motor - Sold

AdministratorCODE4Jan-25-12 06:17 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#33557, "RE: Clunk only in reverse and hitting brakes"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by LE30vm
Have you checked your motor mounts? This always happened over the last few months since my mounts were almost non-existant

This was already brought up.

---

2012 2500HD LML

xxsoccerguy55xxJan-25-12 08:01 PM
68 posts,
#33558, "RE: Clunk only in reverse and hitting brakes"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by LE30vm

yes I did check them. I did the front motor mount mod. They seem to be okay. Why would that only happen in reverse though?

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #33531 Previous topic | Next topic