Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #33521
View in linear mode

Subject: "Best pads for DD/track" Previous topic | Next topic
SilvrEclipsJan-04-12 06:22 AM
Member since Nov 27th 2007
534 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33521, "Best pads for DD/track"

I am about to do a complete front brake overhaul and looking for some input on which pads people like the most. I currently have the gsx brake conversion, will be going to stainless lines with DOT 4 fluid. The car is daily driver so I need a pad that will operate when cold. I run a few autoxs each year, planning on at least 5 this season. And I would like to do at least 1 track day if the car is running good.

I have been looking at the EBC USR slotted rotors and going with either the EBC red stuff pads or the HAWK HP+ pads. Has anybody had any experience with these pads? Also other suggestions are welcome, trying to keep the pads around $100 for the front.

98 Eclipse GS Turbo
Built motor - MS2 - Holset hy35 - Zoom Stg 4 Clutch - 57.5mm TB - ARP Headstuds - Turbonetics wastegate - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Cobra calipers w/ 13" Rotors - Oil Cooler - DevilsOwn meth injection

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Best pads for DD/track, AdministratorCODE4, Jan-04-12 07:29 AM, #1
RE: Best pads for DD/track, Fotowntalon, Jan-04-12 07:57 AM, #2
      RE: Best pads for DD/track, Slo2g, Jan-04-12 09:58 AM, #3
           RE: Best pads for DD/track, 420agreenvilleSC, Jan-05-12 02:28 PM, #4
                RE: Best pads for DD/track, SilvrEclips, Jan-05-12 03:14 PM, #5
                     RE: Best pads for DD/track, nub, Jan-18-12 03:55 PM, #6
                          RE: Best pads for DD/track, ModeratorVX100, Jan-20-12 07:58 PM, #7
                               RE: Best pads for DD/track, SilvrEclips, Jan-21-12 06:15 AM, #8
                                    RE: Best pads for DD/track, NeFarious, Feb-03-12 01:14 AM, #9
                                         RE: Best pads for DD/track, Moderatorbullettdsm, Feb-03-12 03:09 AM, #10
                                              RE: Best pads for DD/track, SilvrEclips, Feb-03-12 09:38 AM, #11
                                                   RE: Best pads for DD/track, NeFarious, Feb-03-12 02:13 PM, #12

AdministratorCODE4Jan-04-12 07:29 AM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33522, "RE: Best pads for DD/track"
In response to Reply # 0

I love Porterfield R4Es and R4S personally.

The E's are a little less grippy when cold but warm up fast. Lots of brake dust, but they will hang you off the seatbelt.

---

2012 2500HD LML

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

FotowntalonJan-04-12 07:57 AM
Member since Aug 09th 2009
350 posts,
#33523, "RE: Best pads for DD/track"
In response to Reply # 1

I have green stuff, no complaints but havnt really put them to the test

97 Talon ESi 14.943@91.35MPH N/A!
"If you need someone to provide an itemized build of materials and a flowchart to walk you through every build-related question you will need to answer at each step of the process, you shouldn't be playing with cars. "-Driggs

Slo2gJan-04-12 09:58 AM
Member since Feb 10th 2006
1074 posts,
#33524, "RE: Best pads for DD/track"
In response to Reply # 2
Jan-04-12 07:36 PM by Slo2g

http://www.hawkperformance.com/performance/hps.php

I used those a while back when my car was running and imo worked like a champ. They help up to the abuse of Deals Gap even when I had the stock single pot brakes and small rotors.

Deals Gap: http://www.dealsgap.com/

EDIT: I didn't know you where somewhat local! PM me man so we can have a wing/beer night with the Upstate SC 2gnt crew!

420agreenvilleSCJan-05-12 02:28 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1525 posts,
#33528, "RE: Best pads for DD/track"
In response to Reply # 3
Jan-05-12 02:32 PM by 420agreenvilleSC

Originally posted by Slo2g
http://www.hawkperformance.com/performance/hps.php I used those a while back when my car was running and imo worked like a champ. They help up to the abuse of Deals Gap even when I had the stock single pot brakes and small rotors.

Deals Gap: http://www.dealsgap.com/

I have the same brake pads currently installed. Very little dust, grabs very well, and they've lasted FOREVER. I've had em on for a few years now (maybe 3?) and they still have about 40% life left! I got them new a few yrs back on ebay from a seller that had em laying around in his garage for a while and never needed em. I finally got around installing em a few months afterwards and they're damn good

Originally posted by Slo2g
EDIT: I didn't know you were somewhat local! PM me man so we can have a wing/beer night with the Upstate SC 2gnt crew!

for realz! only an hr away! i'm so down!

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

SilvrEclipsJan-05-12 03:14 PM
534 posts,
#33529, "RE: Best pads for DD/track"
In response to Reply # 4

Yea I am down in Columbia, SC.

From the looks of it the HPS arent going to hold up to track days so I at least need to go with the HP+ pads. They were recommended by a few guys on tuners. I am still curious about the red stuff pads. Wish I could find someone that has used them before.

98 Eclipse GS Turbo
Built motor - MS2 - Holset hy35 - Zoom Stg 4 Clutch - 57.5mm TB - ARP Headstuds - Turbonetics wastegate - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Cobra calipers w/ 13" Rotors - Oil Cooler - DevilsOwn meth injection

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
2001 BMW 325i

nubJan-18-12 03:55 PM
Member since Feb 12th 2011
26 posts,
#33539, "RE: Best pads for DD/track"
In response to Reply # 5
Jan-18-12 04:00 PM by nub

I use Hawk HPS for DD but they fade too bad at the track if you're doing anything more than autocross.

I love Axxis metal master (xbg) pads for daily driving, but they dust a LOT and sometimes leave molten slag on the inside of the wheel. Upside is if you do canyon driving at night you can spit fire out of your wheels on a good run.

I'd strongly suggest having a track set and a DD set even if you only go once a year. That way if you damage or wear out a pad at the track you have your daily driver spares on hand. I always just swap out my pads during tech inspection beforehand and drive to the track with the race pads on to bed them in a little.

It's VERY DANGEROUS to daily drive on the streets on cold race pads. I'd rather have a soft daily pad that works when cold than a DD/race hybrid any day.

ModeratorVX100Jan-20-12 07:58 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2831 posts,
#33545, "RE: Best pads for DD/track"
In response to Reply # 6

I have some experience with Hawk pads (but not on my eclipse) and I have found they make good pads. As you have said, you are probably going to be a bit too agressive for them.

I have porterfield R4S pads on the Eclipse (for a long time now). You have to really push them to get them to fade. I used them autocrossing and one time where I did several hot laps the pads were still locking up the tires with no problems.

I don't know if the porterfield R4S are going to be agressive enough for you but they do work even when cold. I was just using them today in 25 degree F weather and the snow (had to press the eclipse into winter service, the snow tires for the ralliart only came in tonight, not soon enough for the snow we had today) and they were stopping the car just fine from the start.

"Tutto fa brodo."

Todd Scungio
98 RS
15.173 @ 90.70 MPH

And also a 2011 Ralliart

SilvrEclipsJan-21-12 06:15 AM
534 posts,
#33546, "RE: Best pads for DD/track"
In response to Reply # 7

The porterfield pads have been recommended by a few different people so I think I am going to give those a shot.

Unfortunately the brake job has been put on hold for a few weeks till I get the tranny rebuilt and remove the stock ECU from the car.

98 Eclipse GS Turbo

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
2001 BMW 325i

NeFariousFeb-03-12 01:14 AM
Member since May 10th 2011
12 posts,
#33563, "RE: Best pads for DD/track"
In response to Reply # 8

I currently have the ebc red stuff pads with the ebc brake rotors. The pads work amazing, major improvement over stock. Uhm only bad thing is that they have only lasted me a year and it is already time to replace them. Don't know if it is because of the way i drive or what. But if you are going to be using these for racing, then they work amazing,but won't last you long. Also very little brake dust, which is a plus with for my chrome lip.

ModeratorbullettdsmFeb-03-12 03:09 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#33564, "RE: Best pads for DD/track"
In response to Reply # 9

I have the same brake set-up as you (dual piston front, ss lines) and I got the Hawk HPS's (I chose those over the HP+ because of some people complaining about noise. I HATE brake noise). They stop on a fucking dime and they are quiet, but I'm disappointed in the fade. If you get real aggressive on them; here comes the fade. Funny how some people considered them a street/autox pad. I would consider them an excellent street pad, but autox? Not so much.

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

SilvrEclipsFeb-03-12 09:38 AM
534 posts,
#33565, "RE: Best pads for DD/track"
In response to Reply # 10

I have heard of the HPS pads fading with aggressive driving. This is why I was looking at the hp+ pads. A few guys on tuners recommended going with the porterfield rs-4 so I think I will be trying those pads out. Its nice to finally hear something on the EBC pads, but only lasting a year is pretty bad.

98 Eclipse GS Turbo

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
2001 BMW 325i

NeFariousFeb-03-12 02:13 PM
Member since May 10th 2011
12 posts,
#33566, "RE: Best pads for DD/track"
In response to Reply # 11

Ya, only draw back to these pads was the life, BUT minimal to no fading!! Very noisy with the rotors i have. I really want to get them again, but $80 a year for a broke college student is a lot haha

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #33521 Previous topic | Next topic