Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #33468
View in linear mode

Subject: "D2 coilovers...how are they?" Previous topic | Next topic
Jonny NationNov-30-11 12:35 PM
Member since Nov 26th 2011
3 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33468, "D2 coilovers...how are they?"

I'm looking to buy 36 way adjustable D2 coilovers with the pillowball top mounts. How do they stack up against others like Yellows, Teins, etc..? Thanks for the input!

98 Talon Esi
Bolt-ons

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Broke4goingNov-30-11 03:36 PM
Member since Nov 22nd 2009
50 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33469, "RE: D2 coilovers...how are they?"
In response to Reply # 0
Nov-30-11 03:44 PM by Broke4going

D2 has been around for 10 years plus. They make a good product. Here is the answer I will give you.

If you are NOT a racing professional, the total value of the purchase may never be realized, meaning they will never truly see the performance scenarios they were developed for. Now that is not a bad thing, I swear by full coilover setups for race/show/or combination sport driving. Like I tell people building turbo setups, determine what your real goal is and purchase accordingly.

Additionally, the adjustable pillow ball mount on the D2 (or others) is a serious performance portion aimed to enable maximum adjustablity. That feature will only ever be utilized by those who understand the dynamic forces at play in performance cornering and can then adjust for desired results. Many like them simply for the additional bling, don't get distracted by that.

If you are daily driving and just want a firm ride as well as a little BLING factor, you may be better suited with a set of NEX from ebay, or a used set of TEIN basic. I've had a set of TEIN basic on my daily driver for 2 years and they are BEYOND fantastic, sporty firm ride, great looks and cornering integrity capable of AutoX weekends here and there.

If you are stuck on buying them, no one can change your mind,they are a good brand, but you could save a few hundred with another choice and still reach all of your goals. Over the last ten years I've made some purchases I've regretted, with money that didn't come easy, so again, consider your goals and shop away!!

Lastly, if I have underestimated your understanding of suspension components, we can discuss shock bodies, materials, construction, spring rates etc. if need be, on your next visit.

The screen name says it all

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Jonny NationNov-30-11 10:18 PM
Member since Nov 26th 2011
3 posts,
#33470, "RE: D2 coilovers...how are they?"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks for the advice, but I'm going to be streeting it/autocrossing it and I would love that adjustability factor for when I'm setting up for the track. I understand most about suspension except for a few loose ends with the endless combinations of adjusting that I'll figure out when I spend weeks toying with them after I get them on ) ....and what do you think about the Eibach 25mm sways? Too thick? thanks for all the input!

98 Talon Esi
Bolt-ons

Broke4goingDec-01-11 08:36 AM
Member since Nov 22nd 2009
50 posts,
#33471, "RE: D2 coilovers...how are they?"
In response to Reply # 2

if you really do intend to get to the track then the real help will come from people who do it regularly. They may have an upgrade path that will be more beneficial than I can offer personally.

I do have an AutoX purpose built JDM Integra, but its suspension, steering and chassis modifications are pro level, so I was never really able to see how the intermediate stages affected performance on a vehicle with the factory specs. To compare chassis performance that is. I simply modeled it after some other winning racers setups.

Dig through some of the threads here and on DSMtuners and you will find some really great info on AutoX mods as well as records those users have and from which tracks. Sorry I could't be of more help at this point. Good luck!

The screen name says it all

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #33468 Previous topic | Next topic