Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 2 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #33459
View in linear mode

Subject: "Outlander brake swap" Previous topic | Next topic
PsychODec-09-11 12:35 PM
Member since Jun 10th 2004
166 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33459, "Outlander brake swap"

Parts needed:
1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX Dual piston calipers
2005 Mitsubishi Outlander brake caliper brackets MR307282
2005 Mitsubishi Outlander Slotted rotors (11.6" rotor vs GSX 10.9")

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Outlander brake swap, Slo2g, Nov-24-11 04:59 PM, #1
RE: Outlander brake swap, AdministratorCODE4, Nov-24-11 10:41 PM, #2
      RE: Outlander brake swap, PsychO, Nov-25-11 06:36 PM, #3
           RE: Outlander brake swap, iamnotwhoiam, Dec-08-11 03:02 PM, #4
                RE: Outlander brake swap, AdministratorCODE4, Dec-08-11 03:04 PM, #5
                     RE: Outlander brake swap, iamnotwhoiam, Dec-08-11 03:33 PM, #6
                          RE: Outlander brake swap, PsychO, Dec-08-11 05:22 PM, #7
                               RE: Outlander brake swap, iamnotwhoiam, Dec-08-11 05:26 PM, #8
                                    RE: Outlander brake swap, AdministratorCODE4, Dec-08-11 05:27 PM, #9
                                         RE: Outlander brake swap, RoninEclipse2G, Dec-08-11 06:11 PM, #10
                                              RE: Outlander brake swap, electrohead, Dec-08-11 09:51 PM, #11
                                                   RE: Outlander brake swap, AdministratorCODE4, Dec-09-11 12:35 PM, #12
                                                        RE: Outlander brake swap, RoninEclipse2G, Dec-10-11 04:45 PM, #13
                                                             RE: Outlander brake swap, AdministratorCODE4, Dec-10-11 04:48 PM, #14
                                                                  RE: Outlander brake swap, PsychO, Dec-12-11 09:09 PM, #15

Slo2gNov-24-11 04:59 PM
Member since Feb 10th 2006
1074 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33460, "RE: Outlander brake swap"
In response to Reply # 0

Nice!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

AdministratorCODE4Nov-24-11 10:41 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#33461, "RE: Outlander brake swap"
In response to Reply # 1

Nice alternative.

The brackets currently list for $61.95 a piece however, so definitely only feasible if found in a junkyard. Pretty pricey for about 3/4" rotor diameter increase.

Also, what motor setup you running? I see you are using 36-1 trigger wheel there.

---

2012 2500HD LML

PsychONov-25-11 06:36 PM
166 posts,
#33462, "RE: Outlander brake swap"
In response to Reply # 2

That is another members avenger from the dark side. I forgot to add that those are his pictures.

I wanted to share the OEM upgrade option.

He is running a 3.8L from a Galant with MS.

iamnotwhoiamDec-08-11 03:02 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2361 posts,
#33484, "RE: Outlander brake swap"
In response to Reply # 3

So with this setup do you have to use different pads to accompany the larger rotor or does it really matter?

-Jason

97 Talon ESi-T (forever in progress...)

95 GS (Gone)
16.74@83.18mph
119.8 whp - 113.3 lbs/ft

2GNT #677
My Wiki Page: www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=Iamnotwhoiam
Pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/iamnotwhoiam/Talon/

AdministratorCODE4Dec-08-11 03:04 PM
2552 posts,
#33485, "RE: Outlander brake swap"
In response to Reply # 4
Dec-08-11 03:05 PM by CODE4

The diameter of the rotor is larger, but that does not necessarily mean the friction surface is too. Since the caliper really matters for what pad you use, I imagine the pads are the standard GSX/3S style pads.

In either case, the diameter is not much larger that would warrant a different pad in my opinion.

---

2012 2500HD LML

iamnotwhoiamDec-08-11 03:33 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2361 posts,
#33486, "RE: Outlander brake swap"
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by CODE4
The diameter of the rotor is larger, but that does not necessarily mean the friction surface is too. Since the caliper really matters for what pad you use, I imagine the pads are the standard GSX/3S style pads. In either case, the diameter is not much larger that would warrant a different pad in my opinion.

yep that was exactly what I was thinking... now to just source a larger caliper and rotor

-Jason

95 GS (Gone)
16.74@83.18mph
119.8 whp - 113.3 lbs/ft

2GNT #677

PsychODec-08-11 05:22 PM
166 posts,
#33488, "RE: Outlander brake swap"
In response to Reply # 6

If you already have GSX brakes, you just need the bracket from the outlander and outlander rotors.

The caliper itself is the same from the GSX to that year outlander.

iamnotwhoiamDec-08-11 05:26 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2361 posts,
#33489, "RE: Outlander brake swap"
In response to Reply # 7

Originally posted by PsychO
If you already have GSX brakes, you just need the bracket from the outlander and outlander rotors. The caliper itself is the same from the GSX to that year outlander.

I was just thinking that to actually take full advantage of larger rotors a larger caliper/pad would be in order.

The larger rotor is indeed nice, but would it really benefit that much over the normal gsx rotor using the same pad/caliper?

-Jason

95 GS (Gone)
16.74@83.18mph
119.8 whp - 113.3 lbs/ft

2GNT #677

AdministratorCODE4Dec-08-11 05:27 PM
2552 posts,
#33490, "RE: Outlander brake swap"
In response to Reply # 8

Yes, because Torque = Force x distance. Same principle as using a longer breaker bar or cheater bar to loosen a stubborn bolt.

---

2012 2500HD LML

RoninEclipse2GDec-08-11 06:11 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#33491, "RE: Outlander brake swap"
In response to Reply # 9

Yes, because Torque = Force x distance. Same principle as using a longer breaker bar or cheater bar to loosen a stubborn bolt.

Exactly. Also with the slightly increased diamater of the rotor you are getting a bit more surface area to spread the force over.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

electroheadDec-08-11 09:51 PM
Member since Dec 13th 2009
182 posts,
#33492, "RE: Outlander brake swap"
In response to Reply # 10
Dec-09-11 12:35 PM by CODE4

In theory, being that the Outlanders weigh in between 3540 and 3850 lbs. and our cars are between 2745 and 2899 lbs., those rotors seem less likely to warp as easily as the milk bottle caps our cars came with from the factory. The design looks better for dissipating heat efficiently. When I get my next 2GNT, I'm probably going to do this conversion. I seem to warp my brakes religiously, regardless what manufacturer I use.

Out of curiousity, would this upgrade fit 17 inch rims or would you have to run 18s?

AdministratorCODE4Dec-09-11 12:35 PM
2552 posts,
#33494, "RE: Outlander brake swap"
In response to Reply # 11

Just look at what size wheels Outlanders role on.

---

2012 2500HD LML

RoninEclipse2GDec-10-11 04:45 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#33495, "RE: Outlander brake swap"
In response to Reply # 12

Just look at what size wheels Outlanders role on.

Seriously?

Dave, I'm dissappointed in you.

Stock wheels on the outlander are a 16" IIRC.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

AdministratorCODE4Dec-10-11 04:48 PM
2552 posts,
#33496, "RE: Outlander brake swap"
In response to Reply # 13

Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G
Originally posted by CODE4 Just look at what size wheels Outlanders role on.
Seriously? Dave, I'm dissappointed in you. Stock wheels on the outlander are a 16" IIRC.

Fuck. My bad man. I will haze myself now for a half hour...

---

2012 2500HD LML

PsychODec-12-11 09:09 PM
166 posts,
#33501, "RE: Outlander brake swap"
In response to Reply # 14

Evo 8 Brembos fit under a 16" FD wheel, so these would definitely fit.

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #33459 Previous topic | Next topic