Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #33438
View in linear mode

Subject: "Manualizing the rack" Previous topic | Next topic
streetlightningOct-23-11 02:08 PM
Member since Mar 19th 2004
778 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33438, "Manualizing the rack"

So im trying to "manualize" the rack in my 2gnt. Ive seen some have done this so im trying it as well.

I have the rack apart, and i belive i need to eliminate the metal seal that divides the chamber. My question is, ive seen some posts that we need to weld torsion bars? my intail thought was. torsion bars wtf.. we ont have those.. but i just wanna make sure that im not misundertanding what needs to be done, and making sure nothing needs welding before i proceed.

As far as ive read, once you remove the seal on the rack (that makes the chambers) then replace all the seals, then pack with grease and re assembly.

Anyone have any tips/tricks?

you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest, honestly, its the honest ones you need to look out for. you never know when they will do something..stupid

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Manualizing the rack, Moderatorteklein, Oct-23-11 04:26 PM, #1
RE: Manualizing the rack, streetlightning, Oct-23-11 04:46 PM, #2
      RE: Manualizing the rack, Moderatorteklein, Oct-23-11 07:06 PM, #3
           RE: Manualizing the rack, Moderatorteklein, Oct-27-11 04:06 AM, #4
                RE: Manualizing the rack, iNoise, Oct-30-11 09:22 AM, #5
                     RE: Manualizing the rack, streetlightning, Oct-31-11 04:22 PM, #6
                          RE: Manualizing the rack, Moderatorbullettdsm, Nov-03-11 02:27 PM, #7
                               RE: Manualizing the rack, RoninEclipse2G, Nov-03-11 04:10 PM, #8
                                    RE: Manualizing the rack, streetlightning, Nov-03-11 08:10 PM, #9
                                         RE: Manualizing the rack, Moderatorbullettdsm, Nov-04-11 06:12 PM, #10
                                              RE: Manualizing the rack, streetlightning, Nov-06-11 06:07 PM, #11

ModeratortekleinOct-23-11 04:26 PM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#33439, "RE: Manualizing the rack"
In response to Reply # 0

Ive read several things about this on the Miata forums.

Never remember anything about welding.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

streetlightningOct-23-11 04:46 PM
778 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33440, "RE: Manualizing the rack"
In response to Reply # 1

yea me too, i was really referencing that flying miata mod.

you can always trust a dishonest man to be dishonest, honestly, its the honest ones you need to look out for. you never know when they will do something..stupid

ModeratortekleinOct-23-11 07:06 PM
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#33441, "RE: Manualizing the rack"
In response to Reply # 2

Let me know how it works out though.

ModeratortekleinOct-27-11 04:06 AM
1699 posts,
#33442, "RE: Manualizing the rack"
In response to Reply # 3

Hows your progress?

Also, saw this on t00ners the other day - someone did it and no mention of welding anything

iNoiseOct-30-11 09:22 AM
Member since Dec 17th 2009
47 posts,
#33443, "RE: Manualizing the rack"
In response to Reply # 4

Any updates on this?

streetlightningOct-31-11 04:22 PM
778 posts,
#33450, "RE: Manualizing the rack"
In response to Reply # 5
Oct-31-11 04:23 PM by streetlightning

Not yet, got the seal kit, sometime this week ill put it back together. its almost a 1:1 with flying miata's write up.

Paul , ow Midwest street perf, was the one doing them, he mentioned welding, but i think it was to scare ppl into buying his "service" that took months to return anything.. But yes, no welding required.

ModeratorbullettdsmNov-03-11 02:27 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#33451, "RE: Manualizing the rack"
In response to Reply # 6

I do know there's a thread on this on Tooners and it didn't end well. It seems that after all was said and done, they still had a manual rack that felt like it was missing its power steering.

Hell, I could do that with a couple of snips of the cutters

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

RoninEclipse2GNov-03-11 04:10 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#33452, "RE: Manualizing the rack"
In response to Reply # 7

Personally I prefer Dino's method of shimming the spring in the pump to get tighter steering at speed.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

streetlightningNov-03-11 08:10 PM
778 posts,
#33453, "RE: Manualizing the rack"
In response to Reply # 8

the guy that didnt end well, didnt tighten the bolt connecting the rack to the steering collum, an it backed out. theres plenty runnng this with no issue.

As for dino's mod, im sure it works, i just want it all gone.

ModeratorbullettdsmNov-04-11 06:12 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#33454, "RE: Manualizing the rack"
In response to Reply # 9
Nov-04-11 06:13 PM by bullettdsm

Originally posted by streetlightning
the guy that didnt end well, didnt tighten the bolt connecting the rack to the steering collum, an it backed out. theres plenty runnng this with no issue.

But again, I recollect that those that did it said they still had that heavy steering in slow turning situations. No advantage.

Not being an ass or anything (ok, well maybe I am, but I'm not trying to be, lol), but what are the advantages you are looking for out of this? Just to clean up the bay?

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

streetlightningNov-06-11 06:07 PM
778 posts,
#33455, "RE: Manualizing the rack"
In response to Reply # 10

Clean up the bay. Ive had no ps, ive tried looping the lines, worked just fine so i figure it will be the same "perfomance" wise . Its a sreet car, driven only in summer and sunshine amd to the track. Im not changing the gearing, so therefore i cant expect any sort of change from when i had the lines looped.

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #33438 Previous topic | Next topic