Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #33337
View in linear mode

Subject: "My lower balljoint pics to give people who haven't done them help" Previous topic | Next topic
hoursetraitorJun-28-11 04:33 AM
Member since Jun 18th 2011
26 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33337, "My lower balljoint pics to give people who haven't done them help"
Jun-28-11 03:42 PM by hoursetraitor

So it's a thing I have always liked doing. Taking pictures of work and posting them up to show others it's really not so hard. My lower balljoints on the straight arms were moving alot making a sucking noise. I got new ones from Autozone for around $95 for both sides. They install in less than 30 minutes a side if you're good at this, but shouldn't take more than a hour. You need a pickle fork aka balljoint seperator and a 21mm wrench for the ball joint nut since a socket won't fit and I recommend a 17mm 1/2" socket and breaker bar and 17mm wrench or ratchet for removing and breaking loose the strut at the lca and some wd4

94 Z28
98 gs
93 FZR 600

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: my lower balljoint pics to give people who havent done them help, Moderatorteklein, Jun-28-11 04:35 AM, #1
RE: my lower balljoint pics to give people who havent done them help, hoursetraitor, Jun-28-11 04:38 AM, #2
RE: my lower balljoint pics to give people who havent done them help, dalesmitsu, Jun-28-11 06:10 PM, #3
      RE: my lower balljoint pics to give people who havent done them help, hoursetraitor, Jun-28-11 06:48 PM, #4
           RE: my lower balljoint pics to give people who havent done them help, TheRedBarren, Jul-02-11 04:14 AM, #5
                RE: my lower balljoint pics to give people who havent done them help, hoursetraitor, Jul-02-11 08:31 PM, #6
                RE: my lower balljoint pics to give people who havent done them help, scorpo86, Aug-05-11 02:46 PM, #7
                     RE: my lower balljoint pics to give people who havent done them help, AdministratorCODE4, Aug-05-11 06:41 PM, #8
                          RE: my lower balljoint pics to give people who havent done them help, scorpo86, Aug-05-11 07:32 PM, #9
                               RE: my lower balljoint pics to give people who havent done them help, AdministratorCODE4, Aug-06-11 06:58 AM, #10
                               RE: my lower balljoint pics to give people who havent done them help, 2ndGen-ElTalon, Aug-06-11 07:12 AM, #11

ModeratortekleinJun-28-11 04:35 AM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#33338, "RE: my lower balljoint pics to give people who havent done them help"
In response to Reply # 0

Awesome!

Put it in the wiki!

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

hoursetraitorJun-28-11 04:38 AM
26 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33339, "RE: my lower balljoint pics to give people who havent done them help"
In response to Reply # 1
Jun-28-11 04:41 AM by hoursetraitor

Originally posted by teklein
Awesome! Put it in the wiki!

I don't know how to do that. And it's not really all that great that it would help someone without a clue. It should be noted that the curved LCA ball joints were fine, so I geuss the ones I replaced wear out first?

94 Z28
98 gs
93 FZR 600

dalesmitsuJun-28-11 06:10 PM
Member since May 13th 2006
986 posts,
#33341, "RE: my lower balljoint pics to give people who havent done them help"
In response to Reply # 1

Nice, have anyone replaced the upper balljoints. This would for those wanting to replace upper and lower at same time.

__
1995 gs Saved from the crusher
1998 RS gone to(Dsm Heaven)
1997 gs gone to Dsm heaven

hoursetraitorJun-28-11 06:48 PM
26 posts,
#33342, "RE: my lower balljoint pics to give people who havent done them help"
In response to Reply # 3

The uppers don't wear out like the lowers and they are easy. Only time saved is wheel removal. It getts spendy if you do all 3 up front at once. The curved lowers seem to cost $100-150 each and I think the uppers are even more.

Originally posted by dalesmitsu
Nice, have anyone replaced the upper balljoints. This would for those wanting to replace upper and lower at same time.

94 Z28
98 gs
93 FZR 600

TheRedBarrenJul-02-11 04:14 AM
Member since Oct 02nd 2007
61 posts,
#33343, "RE: my lower balljoint pics to give people who havent done them help"
In response to Reply # 4

You can buy just the balljoint for the front uppers, very very cheap! And pretty easy install, just a big c-clip.

-RedBarren
1995 Eclipse RS

hoursetraitorJul-02-11 08:31 PM
26 posts,
#33346, "RE: my lower balljoint pics to give people who havent done them help"
In response to Reply # 5

Good to know

Originally posted by TheRedBarren
You can buy just the balljoint for the front uppers, very very cheap! And pretty easy install, just a big c-clip.

94 Z28
98 gs
93 FZR 600

scorpo86Aug-05-11 02:46 PM
Member since Nov 08th 2006
282 posts,
#33380, "RE: my lower balljoint pics to give people who havent done them help"
In response to Reply # 5

Is there a write up for this? And another question, would it be better to press the bottom Ball Joint in?

AdministratorCODE4Aug-05-11 06:41 PM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#33381, "RE: my lower balljoint pics to give people who havent done them help"
In response to Reply # 7

Press it into what? The lower ball joints are a part of the control arms and not serviceable.

And the taper fit is how it mounts to the knuckle with a locknut.

---

2012 2500HD LML

scorpo86Aug-05-11 07:32 PM
Member since Nov 08th 2006
282 posts,
#33382, "RE: my lower balljoint pics to give people who havent done them help"
In response to Reply # 8

Pressing them into the knuckle to get it really tight. Just asking if you could or if anyone did it and I felt tight. Do they press them in when they where put together in the factory?

AdministratorCODE4Aug-06-11 06:58 AM
Member since Nov 23rd 2003
2552 posts,
#33383, "RE: my lower balljoint pics to give people who havent done them help"
In response to Reply # 9

I am still confused what you are trying achieve by doing this. The ball joint stud fits in the taper of the knuckle and torqued down. Putting it in a press would not physically do anything except make more work for you because of fitting the assembly into a press.

---

2012 2500HD LML

2ndGen-ElTalonAug-06-11 07:12 AM
Member since May 26th 2010
88 posts,
#33384, "RE: my lower balljoint pics to give people who havent done them help"
In response to Reply # 9

No. The other post concerning pressing them in was by redbarren, He was mentioning its CHEAP if you replace the Upper Control Arm Balljoints, by simply pressing them out. NOT FOR LCA's.

LCA's balljoints are a single piece, at some point fitted with joints, and yes probably pressed in, something you can do, Hell no! Those things are so tough, the STUD will pop out of the balljoint before the whole unit breaks or bust's through the bottom.

I know I'm not the first that had it happen, I'm telling you, the whole balljoint was out of the Control Arm, nice bowl in the bottom of the arm from where it had been wearing awhile. Control arm hanging, yet balljoint still bolted up. Haha, fun ass times. Oh yeah guys, this happened while driving, just after getting off a major Highway.

Needless to say, my Pop's was pretty shocked when I brought home the LCA & Joint not-so-stationary anymore. Haha, enough thread jacking. Sorry.

Jeff.

Originally posted by 740TurboBrick

"Dsms run on Gasoline, DSMers run on Alcohol...Id bring a tank to refuel the DSMers..."

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #33337 Previous topic | Next topic