Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #33264
View in linear mode

Subject: "Loud "click" noise, front end" Previous topic | Next topic
Ebster1085May-04-11 06:54 AM
Member since Jun 11th 2009
531 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33264, "Loud "click" noise, front end"

So I have pretty much always noticed this problem, but it is starting to piss me off so I figured I would post it up to see if anyone knew what it was, or if there is a simple (or difficult) solution.

If I hit a bump in the road or a pothole and I am on the brakes or accelerating, I hear a loud click noise from the front end on whatever side of the car hit the bump. It sounds like something is shifting and clicking back into place. Pretty loud noise, and definitely disconcerting.

If I am just cruising along and hit a bump, nothing, its only when I am on the gas or on the brake that I hear this. I run Tokico HP (blue) struts and Eibach Prokit springs.

1999 Eclipse GS
Built motor
Hahn 16G Turbo w/ FMIC
Hahn Stage 5 Portfueler (270's & 500's)
Zeitronix Zt-2 wideband w/ 3.5bar MAP
3" SS Turbo Back
CM Stage 4 Clutch and Fidanza Flywheel
Baer Big Brake Kit

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Loud "click" noise, front end, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, May-04-11 07:53 AM, #1
RE: Loud "click" noise, front end, Ebster1085, May-04-11 07:58 AM, #2
RE: Loud "click" noise, front end, 420agreenvilleSC, May-04-11 09:23 AM, #3
RE: Loud , 2ndGen-ElTalon, May-07-11 07:54 AM, #4
      RE: Loud , iamnotwhoiam, May-09-11 08:47 PM, #5
           RE: Loud , xiDsmmanix, Jul-23-11 09:16 PM, #6
                RE: Loud , electrohead, Jul-25-11 12:04 AM, #7
                     RE: Loud , Ebster1085, Aug-08-11 07:16 AM, #8
                          RE: Loud , Broke4going, Nov-28-11 08:46 PM, #9

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneMay-04-11 07:53 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33265, "RE: Loud "click" noise, front end"
In response to Reply # 0
May-04-11 07:54 AM by DarkOne

Check the bushings for wear or damage, and inspect the lower control arm ball joints. I had a torn suspension bushing in the rear for a few years that did almost the same thing.

Are your front sway bar end links in good shape and still attached to the car?

Since it's both sides, I'd say chances are you don't have two worn out inner or outer CV's, but the traditional answer for a clicking noise is a worn CV joint...

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Ebster1085May-04-11 07:58 AM
531 posts,
#33267, "RE: Loud "click" noise, front end"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks D, I will have to get under the car soon and check out all the bushings for wear.

420agreenvilleSCMay-04-11 09:23 AM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#33268, "RE: Loud "click" noise, front end"
In response to Reply # 2

curious to see what you find out as i've heard of this issue before, but haven't experienced it yet for myself... yet

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

2ndGen-ElTalonMay-07-11 07:54 AM
Member since May 26th 2010
88 posts,
#33270, "RE: Loud "
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by DarkOne
Since it's both sides, I'd say chances are you don't have two worn out inner or outer CV's, but the traditional answer for a clicking noise is a worn CV joint...

Agreed with D. This problem is fairly common on 2G's in the Midwest, Both 2G's I've owned/own had this happening. Mainly during slow turns, but yes while cruising/braking/accelerating I noticed it aswell. Both situations I ended up replacing CV joints.

Check out you're boots Jesse, Take it around some sharp/slow turns. Look in your Hayne's.

Let us know what you come up with.

Originally posted by 740TurboBrick

"Dsms run on Gasoline, DSMers run on Alcohol...Id bring a tank to refuel the DSMers..."

iamnotwhoiamMay-09-11 08:47 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2361 posts,
#33275, "RE: Loud "
In response to Reply # 4

Any chance could it be related to outer-inner tie rod?

I was about to post something about a click, pop, clank that keeps happening only when i come out of park to reverse from leaving my garage.. Seems to be happening on my driver's front and not long ago I had taken it in for alignment and they said I had a tie rod boot that was busted, but it was on my passenger front side. Fun eh?

-Jason

97 Talon ESi-T (forever in progress...)

95 GS (Gone)
16.74@83.18mph
119.8 whp - 113.3 lbs/ft

2GNT #677
My Wiki Page: www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=Iamnotwhoiam
Pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/iamnotwhoiam/Talon/

xiDsmmanixJul-23-11 09:16 PM
Member since May 10th 2010
39 posts,
#33363, "RE: Loud "
In response to Reply # 5

Originally posted by iamnotwhoiam
Any chance could it be related to outer-inner tie rod? I was about to post something about a click, pop, clank that keeps happening only when i come out of park to reverse from leaving my garage.. Seems to be happening on my driver's front and not long ago I had taken it in for alignment and they said I had a tie rod boot that was busted, but it was on my passenger front side. Fun eh?

Could possibly be a inner tierod. A clank or a pop could also be a joint too.

electroheadJul-25-11 12:04 AM
Member since Dec 13th 2009
182 posts,
#33366, "RE: Loud "
In response to Reply # 6

I've had the same noise coming from my front end a few years ago. It ended up being the lower control arm (the expensive one, of course) on the driver's side. It also would occasionally make sounds you would expect a bed to make when being used for 'wrestling'... lol. When you hear/feel the noise, does the car feel like it's shifting? The best way I could explain it would be like going over a bump for a split second on one side and straightening itself out.

Ebster1085Aug-08-11 07:16 AM
531 posts,
#33385, "RE: Loud "
In response to Reply # 7

No, when I hear it there is no change in the line of the car. Its just a loud "clank" sound that only happens when i go over a bump while accelerating or braking hard. If I am just cruising along I never hear anything.

Unfortunately I have had the busiest most hectic summer of my life and my poor car has gotten little to no attention because of it. To these ends I have had no time to look into this issue further.

1999 Eclipse GS
Built motor
Hahn 16G Turbo w/ FMIC
Hahn Stage 5 Portfueler (270's & 500's)
Zeitronix Zt-2 wideband w/ 3.5bar MAP
3" SS Turbo Back
CM Stage 4 Clutch and Fidanza Flywheel
Baer Big Brake Kit

Broke4goingNov-28-11 08:46 PM
Member since Nov 22nd 2009
50 posts,
#33467, "RE: Loud "
In response to Reply # 8
Nov-28-11 08:47 PM by Broke4going

Oops.. been on a posting spree with my free time, didn't see the post date.. hope this helps someone in the future though!

I had a solid single CLANK when my front curved LCA busing wore out, the rear portion of it with the two large bolts. Can also happen when the uppers wear out.

Other sources of front end clicks I've had over the last 10 years are:

loose front/rear engine mount, or worn out broken engine mount busings, worn inner/outer tie rods, damaged ball joints, loose or broken sway bar connections.

Good luck searching and keep us posted!

The screen name says it all

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #33264 Previous topic | Next topic