Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #33225
View in linear mode

Subject: "Steering is loose" Previous topic | Next topic
scorpo86Mar-08-11 06:37 PM
Member since Nov 08th 2006
282 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33225, "Steering is loose"

I was wondering if there's ways to tighten the steering because when I'm driving down the road I can move my steering wheel about a half an inch or less and stay a little strait still. The alignment is good but just trying to figure out what I could do. Thanks

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Steering is loose, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Mar-09-11 08:42 AM, #1
RE: Steering is loose, scorpo86, Mar-09-11 11:23 AM, #2
      RE: Steering is loose, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Mar-09-11 11:31 AM, #3
           RE: Steering is loose, RoninEclipse2G, Mar-09-11 01:25 PM, #4
                RE: Steering is loose, scorpo86, Mar-09-11 11:07 PM, #5
                     RE: Steering is loose, RoninEclipse2G, Mar-10-11 11:55 AM, #6

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneMar-09-11 08:42 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33226, "RE: Steering is loose"
In response to Reply # 0

Originally posted by scorpo86
I was wondering if there's ways to tighten the steering because when I'm driving down the road I can move my steering wheel about a half an inch or less and stay a little strait still. The alignment is good but just trying to figure out what I could do. Thanks

That not much play, really. I think you're looking for a problem where there isn't one.

But, check the tie rod ends for play. If they're sloppy, there you go.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

scorpo86Mar-09-11 11:23 AM
282 posts,
#33227, "RE: Steering is loose"
In response to Reply # 1

Do you know how in a middle of a 3 lane highway there are the cracks that seperate the lanes because how they lay the black top. Well, when I switch lanes I can feel my tire grab like there is no stability I guess. Not sure though

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneMar-09-11 11:31 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#33228, "RE: Steering is loose"
In response to Reply # 2

That's more related to alignment than steering, as I understand it. Cornering stability is added by increasing camber, and the increased camber in sporty cars like my Eclipse or my Solstice causes things like that to be much more noticeable.

That's my very basic understanding of it, anyway.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

RoninEclipse2GMar-09-11 01:25 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#33229, "RE: Steering is loose"
In response to Reply # 3

Like Dino said, the first thing I would check is for play in the tie rods. Lock the steering wheel, jack up one side of the car, grab the wheel on either side and see if you can get it to move in the way that normal turning would cause. If the tie rods are bad you'll get a little clunk with some play in the wheel. Check both sides this way.

If it's not the tie rods it could be a worn steering gearbox, but that's unlikely with our standard rack and pinion setup.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

scorpo86Mar-09-11 11:07 PM
282 posts,
#33230, "RE: Steering is loose"
In response to Reply # 4

Everything is new and that's what gets me, even the rack its new. What about the sway bar? What kind of problems have you guys have had if the links are worn or just the bolts that hold it to the body Loose? but like I said all new, but as I recall I lost the rubber piece on one side of the rack that holds it to the body if you know what I'm talking about. I don't think that would cause a problem though, do you?

RoninEclipse2GMar-10-11 11:55 AM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#33231, "RE: Steering is loose"
In response to Reply # 5

The only other thing I can think of if the rack and tie rods are new would be the U joints on the steering shaft.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #33225 Previous topic | Next topic