Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 1 User in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #33043
View in linear mode

Subject: "Brake Booster Vacuum Low" Previous topic | Next topic
ModeratortekleinNov-21-10 10:09 AM
Member since Nov 04th 2007
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#33043, "Brake Booster Vacuum Low"

Hey,

With the Crane 16s, at low RPM my brakes do not work too well.

What I was wondering if a one way check valve would help to build vacuum.

So if I started the car, revved it up, then drove slowly I would (maybe) have the vacuum needed.

Other option is a brake vacuum pump. Like this:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SSB-28146/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Brake Booster Vacuum Low, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Nov-21-10 10:16 AM, #1
RE: Brake Booster Vacuum Low, Moderatorteklein, Nov-21-10 10:42 AM, #2
      RE: Brake Booster Vacuum Low, 420agreenvilleSC, Nov-21-10 09:01 PM, #3
           RE: Brake Booster Vacuum Low, Moderatorteklein, Nov-22-10 04:55 AM, #4
                RE: Brake Booster Vacuum Low, 420agreenvilleSC, Nov-22-10 05:14 PM, #5
                     RE: Brake Booster Vacuum Low, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Nov-27-10 03:01 PM, #6
                          RE: Brake Booster Vacuum Low, Moderatorteklein, Nov-27-10 03:05 PM, #7
                               RE: Brake Booster Vacuum Low, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Nov-27-10 03:08 PM, #8
                                    RE: Brake Booster Vacuum Low, AdministratorStar Turbo Talon, Nov-27-10 03:18 PM, #9
                                         RE: Brake Booster Vacuum Low, Slo2g, Nov-27-10 06:21 PM, #10
                                              RE: Brake Booster Vacuum Low, Moderatorteklein, Nov-29-10 05:14 AM, #11

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneNov-21-10 10:16 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14937 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33044, "RE: Brake Booster Vacuum Low"
In response to Reply # 0

Put a check valve between the manifold and the brake booster.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratortekleinNov-21-10 10:42 AM
1699 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list facebook
#33045, "RE: Brake Booster Vacuum Low"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by DarkOne
Put a check valve between the manifold and the brake booster.

Will do. Gracias.

420agreenvilleSCNov-21-10 09:01 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1525 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33046, "RE: Brake Booster Vacuum Low"
In response to Reply # 2

this is my problem too. if it works timmay, show me the ways of the force

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

ModeratortekleinNov-22-10 04:55 AM
1699 posts,
#33047, "RE: Brake Booster Vacuum Low"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by 420agreenvilleSC
this is my problem too. if it works timmay, show me the ways of the force

My car is supposed to have low vacuum...

420agreenvilleSCNov-22-10 05:14 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1525 posts,
#33048, "RE: Brake Booster Vacuum Low"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by teklein
Originally posted by 420agreenvilleSC this is my problem too. if it works timmay, show me the ways of the force
He is too old... yes... too old to begin the training

I am ready! just tell me if it works timmay. stop exposing my unfixable low vac issue

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonNov-27-10 03:01 PM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
#33063, "RE: Brake Booster Vacuum Low"
In response to Reply # 5
Nov-27-10 03:02 PM by Star Turbo Talon

Check valve wont work very well. Antiques battle this all the time with high duration cams. Vacuum pump/cqanister has been the only way to work 100%.

Now if your referring to Crower 2's which are small in terms of duration then you can use a simple canister to remedy the issue.

ModeratortekleinNov-27-10 03:05 PM
1699 posts,
#33064, "RE: Brake Booster Vacuum Low"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
Check valve wont work very well. Antiques battle this all the time with high duration cams. Vacuum pump/cqanister has been the only way to work 100%. Now if your referring to Crower 2's which are small in terms of duration then you can use a simple canister to remedy the issue.

Crane 16s now, soon to be 18s.

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonNov-27-10 03:08 PM
8331 posts,
#33065, "RE: Brake Booster Vacuum Low"
In response to Reply # 7

What is the advertised and .050 duration?

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonNov-27-10 03:18 PM
8331 posts,
#33066, "RE: Brake Booster Vacuum Low"
In response to Reply # 8
Nov-27-10 03:38 PM by Star Turbo Talon

looking at Crane recondations, you going to have a lot of low end problems. Those cams require a 12.0 Compression ratio which means the overlap is enough that the static ratio is dropped a great deal. Static ratio is the compression ratio you are left with after the overlap is factored in.

Without knowing the exact duration at .001 I cant tell you what kind of IDLE ratio your going to have if you still want to attempt running the 10.5:1 shortblock

If brakes are your concern right now then start hunting for a Vacuum pump setup or convert to manual brakes.

Edit: found one listing that claims they have a duration of ADVERTISED 258 degrees. That is very close to the Crower 3 cams and you will prolly get away without any type of canister or check valve if you tune it right. Your Crane 16's are an Advertised duration of 250 degrees. The 8 degrees wont be noticable Tune the idle to the vacuum like your supposed to and it will be fine. For what they consider a "drag" cam, that duration isnt that big. Street cams are usually no more than 280 degrees of duration. Even the 4g63 street cams run a duration of 272 degrees. Factory 420A cams are 222 degrees; thats only 30 degrees more.

I dont see how they can claim a 12.0: ratio is required. As long as you have 9.5:1 your fine

Your poor vacuum now is becuase your not tuned to the cams. The maps are tuned to the factory profile. Once you tune the idle fuel and idle timing you should be at least 10" of0 vacuum at 800RPM. If you raise your idle to 1000 then you should be able to get 12-15" out of them.

Slo2gNov-27-10 06:21 PM
Member since Feb 10th 2006
1074 posts,
#33067, "RE: Brake Booster Vacuum Low"
In response to Reply # 9

I'm not sure what he is pulling now at idle but its a pretty steady idle of 1000-1100 and seems to stay smooth. I will have to give a report back after I talk to Tim and tell exactly what the idle vac is...

ModeratortekleinNov-29-10 05:14 AM
1699 posts,
#33074, "RE: Brake Booster Vacuum Low"
In response to Reply # 10

Watched the MAP this morning Terry and Zac.

Im getting 45-52 KPa at idle, which should be ~13in.Hg.

Ive noticed that the brakes are GREAT, so looks like problem solved.

Stock ECU they were horrible, when stopping you could feel the brakes get worse as the car idled down.

And yeah, the car idles at 1050-1100. It doesnt like anything lower, but its rock solid, so I cant complain

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #33043 Previous topic | Next topic