Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #33030
View in linear mode

Subject: "brakes not locking up like they should" Previous topic | Next topic
susafussNov-05-10 02:20 PM
Member since Feb 24th 2005
200 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33030, "brakes not locking up like they should"

Ok the other day i got in a minor fender bender the other day (bitch stopped short not really any major damage) but the weird thing is my wheels did not lock up like they should have. Since the accident i bled the system and popped out the pads inspected them and the rotors all seem fine but when i took it for a spin and tried to lock it up it seems like only the passenger side is locking up. I am thinking buy new pads and rotors anyway to see if that helps. Pedal will go all the way to the floor and there is resistance but kind of a spongy feeling to it. I am kind of leaning toward the brake booster possible vac leak maybe i have my vac box teed off of it.

info on current setup
-i4 w/rear drums (so bigger brake booster)
-base model so no abs
-gsx calipers(three years old)
-dba 4000 Series Rotors(three years old)
-hawk HPS Street brake pads(three years old)

brake are not that old and still have about 1/4 pad left on both sides

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

AdministratorStar Turbo TalonNov-06-10 11:33 AM
Member since Oct 21st 2003
8331 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33031, "RE: brakes not locking up like they should"
In response to Reply # 0

You have air in the brake system, no doubt about it.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

ModeratorbullettdsmNov-06-10 03:43 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2676 posts,
#33032, "RE: brakes not locking up like they should"
In response to Reply # 1

Originally posted by Star Turbo Talon
You have air in the brake system, no doubt about it.

BAM!

Captain Caveman

96 RS Turbo 11.414 @ 119.62 MSNS, Crower 2 NA cams, BW366, 10.5 comp, UDP, 60mm TB, W/A intercooler, 3.55 tranny 567.9whp 430tq
97 RS NA 13.188 @ 103.87 MSnS powered 12.5 comp, Crower 3's and 219.4whp with 175tq
98 RS DD 12.5 comp on stock ECU, LTH, Crower 2's, Koni, GC, Hypercoil, DG hats
99 OZ 5sp Stocker 15.856 @ 85.97
99 GS stocker auto 17.7@77mph!

wiki home page:http://www.2gnt.com/index.php?d=bullettdsm

electroheadNov-06-10 06:52 PM
Member since Dec 13th 2009
182 posts,
#33033, "RE: brakes not locking up like they should"
In response to Reply # 2

I'd most definately go with air in your system. Just make sure you bleed the brakes in the correct sequence, or you'll end up with the same problem. Also, how are your drum brakes? If your shoes are out of adjustment, you could also lose braking power. The pedal might feel spongy if more fluid is going to the brake cylinders to move out the shoes. Happened to me. Spongy pedal and crappy braking, no matter how many times it was bled (or by whom) and when I re-adjusted the back, everything was fine.

susafussNov-06-10 09:00 PM
Member since Feb 24th 2005
200 posts,
#33034, "RE: brakes not locking up like they should"
In response to Reply # 3

rear drums should be fine i did them about 4 years ago, I will try adjusting them and then rebleed the system.

I always start rear rear and work forward when bleeding ie..
1.passenger rear
2.drivers rear
3.passenger front
4.drivers front

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #33030 Previous topic | Next topic