Welcome to the 2GNT Forum! Interested In Advertising with 2GNT?
Home | Site Background| Info&Specs| Mods & Tech Info | CAPS | Part Reviews | Donate | 2GNT Stickers |
Search Printer-friendly copy 0 Users in Chat
Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #33004
View in linear mode

Subject: "Increase Steering Effort" Previous topic | Next topic
thakid22Sep-19-10 10:17 AM
Member since Sep 14th 2010
25 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33004, "Increase Steering Effort"

Is there anyway to increase steering effort on a 2g?

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
RE: Increase Steering Effort, adamzty, Sep-19-10 03:06 PM, #1
RE: Increase Steering Effort, 420agreenvilleSC, Sep-19-10 06:01 PM, #2
      RE: Increase Steering Effort, electrohead, Sep-19-10 08:03 PM, #3
           RE: Increase Steering Effort, adamzty, Sep-20-10 07:42 AM, #4
           RE: Increase Steering Effort, RoninEclipse2G, Sep-20-10 06:15 PM, #5
           RE: Increase Steering Effort, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Sep-24-10 10:24 AM, #6
           RE: Increase Steering Effort, RoninEclipse2G, Oct-01-10 06:30 PM, #7
           RE: Increase Steering Effort, TurbchargdSpydr, Oct-03-10 07:35 PM, #8
                RE: Increase Steering Effort, RoninEclipse2G, Oct-04-10 05:13 PM, #9
                RE: Increase Steering Effort, Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOne, Oct-05-10 08:01 AM, #10
                RE: Increase Steering Effort, ez, Oct-08-10 07:15 PM, #11
                     RE: Increase Steering Effort, SilvrEclips, Dec-06-10 10:27 PM, #12
                     RE: Increase Steering Effort, thakid22, Dec-15-10 02:04 AM, #20
                     RE: Increase Steering Effort, thakid22, Dec-15-10 02:03 AM, #19
                RE: Increase Steering Effort, thakid22, Dec-15-10 02:01 AM, #18
                RE: Increase Steering Effort, thakid22, Dec-15-10 02:00 AM, #17
           RE: Increase Steering Effort, thakid22, Dec-15-10 01:58 AM, #16
           RE: Increase Steering Effort, thakid22, Dec-15-10 01:53 AM, #15
           RE: Increase Steering Effort, thakid22, Dec-15-10 01:51 AM, #14
           RE: Increase Steering Effort, thakid22, Dec-15-10 01:49 AM, #13

adamztySep-19-10 03:06 PM
Donating 2GNT member
219 posts,
Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author Click to view this author's profile Click to add this author to your buddy list
#33011, "RE: Increase Steering Effort"
In response to Reply # 0

Remove the power steering pump.

Report This Post to Admin Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

420agreenvilleSCSep-19-10 06:01 PM
Donating 2GNT member
1527 posts,
#33012, "RE: Increase Steering Effort"
In response to Reply # 1

LMAO! yea, it'll take more effort that way!

http://www.2gnt.com/quote_db.php?id=278

Outside of Corona: "That sucks, peace out..." (jamie walks away)... "Sweeet, what we doin?" -Zac
Tim's garage (prior to motor install): "Im gonna smoke real quick, that way if you fuck up I am already nicotined up" -Tim

electroheadSep-19-10 08:03 PM
Member since Dec 13th 2009
182 posts,
#33013, "RE: Increase Steering Effort"
In response to Reply # 2

Why would you want to increase steering effort? Most people want to decrease it.

adamztySep-20-10 07:42 AM
Donating 2GNT member
219 posts,
#33014, "RE: Increase Steering Effort"
In response to Reply # 3

I like it better out on the highway without power steering. It's just sharp turns at low speeds that suck.

RoninEclipse2GSep-20-10 06:15 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#33015, "RE: Increase Steering Effort"
In response to Reply # 4

I noticed that using a crank underdrive pulley made my steering a little tighter. You could have a PS underdrive pulley made to make the PS spin even slower and increase the stiffness a little more. Running a thicker fluid like Lucas PS stuff would help too, but I don't know if it would blow out the pump if you just ran it straight.

Erik P.
Official 2GNT thread Hijacker
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...
All we know is, He's not The Stig... But he is The Stig's Spartan cousin!

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneSep-24-10 10:24 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#33016, "RE: Increase Steering Effort"
In response to Reply # 5

http://www.2gnt.com/CAPS/main37/main37sub110page2.html

48111. Shim the shit out of that spring.

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

RoninEclipse2GOct-01-10 06:30 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#33023, "RE: Increase Steering Effort"
In response to Reply # 6

I may have to try that one. Thanks Dino!

Erik P.
Some say that he's driven over more Covenant than he's shot, and that his grenades aren't where you'd expect them to be...

TurbchargdSpydrOct-03-10 07:35 PM
Member since Jul 25th 2010
159 posts,
#33024, "RE: Increase Steering Effort"
In response to Reply # 7

doesn't stiffining the steering wheel make it a bitch to turn at a stop sign...i dont understand why anyone would want that thats in the city...

RoninEclipse2GOct-04-10 05:13 PM
Donating 2GNT member
2745 posts,
#33025, "RE: Increase Steering Effort"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by TurbchargdSpydr
doesn't stiffining the steering wheel make it a bitch to turn at a stop sign...i dont understand why anyone would want that thats in the city...

You're thinking about when the PS is eliminated or bypassed. Increasing the steering effort with shims and pulleys won't make a huge difference when stopped, but it will make the steering feel tighter at speed, which can greatly help to reduce over correcting in a bad situation.

Erik P.

Global Ruler Of All ThingsDarkOneOct-05-10 08:01 AM
Donating 2GNT member
14938 posts,
#33026, "RE: Increase Steering Effort"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by RoninEclipse2G
Originally posted by TurbchargdSpydr doesn't stiffining the steering wheel make it a bitch to turn at a stop sign...i dont understand why anyone would want that thats in the city...
You're thinking about when the PS is eliminated or bypassed. Increasing the steering effort with shims and pulleys won't make a huge difference when stopped, but it will make the steering feel tighter at speed, which can greatly help to reduce over correcting in a bad situation.

That's why that spring and valve are there. Ever notice how much easier it is to turn the wheel at a stop, versus at-speed?

'95 Eclipse TurboGS (garage deco)
'95 TSi AWD (restoring a survivor)
'97 Talon ESi-T (poor impulse control)
'99 Eclipse RS-T (daily beater)
'13 Evo X (mostly stock)
'17 Sienna (Middle Aged Dad Mobile)

Factory Service Manuals: http://nawdu.de/files/

ezOct-08-10 07:15 PM
Old School 2GNTer
3461 posts,
#33027, "RE: Increase Steering Effort"
In response to Reply # 10

Maybe we can trade steering pumps from my 99. I've owned two 95s and a 98, and all had super light steering - they feel like true power steering. I don't remember my 99 ever having that, well maybe when I bought her in 99. Somehow it just stiffened over time.

2gnt: '99 RS-T, killed by a toyota, pending rebuild...
Daily: Volt
Daily #2: '99 EVG ebike- STOLEN by PEDRO

SilvrEclipsDec-06-10 10:27 PM
Member since Nov 27th 2007
534 posts,
#33103, "RE: Increase Steering Effort"
In response to Reply # 11

Anyone tried this yet? It would be awesome to increase the steering effort slightly. Always liked the way my buddies audi felt driving. Steering felt tight and bit stiffer than the 2gs.

98 Eclipse GS Turbo
Built motor - MS2 - Holset hy35 - Zoom Stg 4 Clutch - 57.5mm TB - ARP Headstuds - Turbonetics wastegate - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Cobra calipers w/ 13" Rotors - Oil Cooler - DevilsOwn meth injection

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i

thakid22Dec-15-10 02:04 AM
25 posts,
#33137, "RE: Increase Steering Effort"
In response to Reply # 12

Originally posted by SilvrEclips
Anyone tried this yet? It would be awesome to increase the steering effort slightly. Always liked the way my buddies audi felt driving. Steering felt tight and bit stiffer than the 2gs.

That is exactly the feel I'm going for... I WILL have it. I just gotta figure out how to go about it. lol

thakid22Dec-15-10 02:03 AM
25 posts,
#33136, "RE: Increase Steering Effort"
In response to Reply # 11

Originally posted by ez
Maybe we can trade steering pumps from my 99. I've owned two 95s and a 98, and all had super light steering - they feel like true power steering. I don't remember my 99 ever having that, well maybe when I bought her in 99. Somehow it just stiffened over time.

I envy your 99!

thakid22Dec-15-10 02:01 AM
25 posts,
#33135, "RE: Increase Steering Effort"
In response to Reply # 9

Originally posted by TurbchargdSpydr doesn't stiffining the steering wheel make it a bitch to turn at a stop sign...i dont understand why anyone would want that thats in the city...

exactly.

thakid22Dec-15-10 02:00 AM
25 posts,
#33134, "RE: Increase Steering Effort"
In response to Reply # 8

Originally posted by TurbchargdSpydr

Yeah, it would make it stiffer. But the point isn't to make it hard to turn. I just want it to take more effort to turn. Stock, you spin the wheel around with a finger or two. I'm looking for BMW heft at the wheel, where a little muscle is required, but not much.

thakid22Dec-15-10 01:58 AM
25 posts,
#33133, "RE: Increase Steering Effort"
In response to Reply # 6

Originally posted by DarkOne
http://www.2gnt.com/CAPS/main37/main37sub110page2.html 48111. Shim the shit out of that spring.

I went so far as to completely remove that spring... The steering got marginally stiffer while turning the wheel quickly. But normal, driving was little changed.

thakid22Dec-15-10 01:53 AM
25 posts,
#33132, "RE: Increase Steering Effort"
In response to Reply # 5

I noticed that using a crank underdrive pulley made my steering a little tighter. You could have a PS underdrive pulley made to make the PS spin even slower and increase the stiffness a little more. Running a thicker fluid like Lucas PS stuff would help too, but I don't know if it would blow out the pump if you just ran it straight.

I'm gonna have to look into finding a larger pulley for the PS. Let it turn good and slow. I think that may be the best way. But finding a belt to fit might be a problem. It's worth a try though.

thakid22Dec-15-10 01:51 AM
25 posts,
#33131, "RE: Increase Steering Effort"
In response to Reply # 4

Originally posted by adamzty
I like it better out on the highway without power steering. It's just sharp turns at low speeds that suck.

Me too! Above 15mph, I like no boost @ all.
But under 10mph, it needs some. But not as much as stock.

thakid22Dec-15-10 01:49 AM
25 posts,
#33130, "RE: Increase Steering Effort"
In response to Reply # 3

Originally posted by electrohead
Why would you want to increase steering effort? Most people want to decrease it.

I think you have it backwards... I want to increase the effort it takes to turn the wheel. I want to decrease the amount of assist.

The wheel is too easy to turn.

Top 2GNT Technical Handling/Suspension topic #33004 Previous topic | Next topic